• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: Japan vs. Scotland [2nd Test] (25/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Japan.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Scotland.png

Venue: Ajinomoto Stadium
Time: 12:20 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

First a pleasantly busy Toyota Stadium and now they're aiming to have another large crowd Ajinomoto Stadium. Surprisingly daring move from the usually conservative JRFU. Perhaps they're starting to build up to the WC in 2019 and getting the Japanese public used to big games in big stadiums?

An extremely ordinary and conservative performance by a near full strength Scotland last week - we seem to be obsessing about world ranking rather than about developing any sort of attacking flair. When I learnt that Japan had excluded several of their best players it made it all the more galling. Always like to see second tier teams knock one of the established team's off their perch and Japan's fitness seems to have improved since we played them at the World Cup when they faded badly (don't know if that'll be the Sunwolves effect?) - but Scotland aren't as godawful as we used to be so I think we'll hold on to that "coveted" eighth seed for another week.

Scotland team named

5. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 44 caps; 11 tries, 3 pens, 64 points

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps; 13 tries, 65 points
13. Matt Scott (Gloucester) – 35 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
12. Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps; 2 tries, 1 con, 1 pen, 15 points
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 20 caps; 3 tries, 15 points

10. Ruaridh Jackson (Harlequins) – 29 caps; 4 cons, 2 pens, 2 drops, 20 points
9. Henry Pyrgos CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps; 4 tries, 20 points

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps
3. Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs) – 33 caps
4. Richie Gray (Toulouse) – 57 caps; 3 tries, 15 points
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps; 1 try
6. Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
7. John Barclay (Scarlets) – 51 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps

Substitutes
16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
17. Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
18. Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 14 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 23 caps
20. John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 11 caps; 3 tries, 15 points
21. Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester) – 52 caps; 4 tries, 66 cons, 124 pens, 524 points
22. Huw Jones (Stormers) – uncapped
23. Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 104 caps, 14 tries, 70 points

Excited to see Pyrgos at 9. Fair to say most Scotland fans don't appreciate Laidlaw's "qualities" at scrum half and are keen for other options to be explored. I think this will be a comfortable win now for us now we've become more acclimatised and Japan likely aren't putting out a full strength team. Would quite like Japan to prove me wrong though.

Excited to see Pyrgos at 9. Fair to say most Scotland fans don't appreciate Laidlaw's "qualities" at scrum half and are keen for other options to be explored. I think this will be a comfortable win now for us now we've become more acclimatised and Japan likely aren't putting out a full strength team. Would quite like Japan to prove me wrong though.

The problem I and a number of fans have with Laidlaw is slowing down of the game killing our momentum and letting the opposition get organized. He has the ability and the players around him to play a quicker game and when he does we cause the opposition problems.

Pyrgos didn't exactly step up and take his chance, much preferred the new Japanese scrum half, shame he didn't have a Scottish granny! Japan dominated long periods of play but gave away far too many penalties when under no pressure. If that is them missing few players then Japan look to be making strides from even the RWC and their first team would probably have Scotland and Italy on toast at home and could give France a game if they can cut out the indiscipline.

Folk should check out their try from deep inside their 22 if you can. Very nice.

Here it is. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36628592

Last edited:
Best try of the weekend by a loooooong way - beauty!!

Being honest we were very lucky to win. Looks scrappy all game, looked poor, and for most of the game getting outplayed by Japan.

Didn't deserve to win but wins is what fans care about not playing to standard.

To be fair to Scotland, Japan are very seriously a coming force. You don't just beat the Springboks. That kind of thing can happen in football which is why Iceland will back themselves against England tomorrow. This was a good series win for Scotland. Japan are better than Italy, would push the French and would likely beat Argentina, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Georgia on home soil, the last few with relative ease.

Latest posts