• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Wales.png

Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Can't see us making many changes if any, other than Whitelock coming back into the team in place of Romano. Ngatai might get a bench spot, but will likely make his appearance in the 3rd test.

I think Wales are in trouble for this game, expecting us to put in a really solid performance and cutting the error rate and the passes will stick and tackles will be made, I think it will be a long night for the Welsh.

Can't see us making many changes if any, other than Whitelock coming back into the team in place of Romano. Ngatai might get a bench spot, but will likely make his appearance in the 3rd test.

I think Wales are in trouble for this game, expecting us to put in a really solid performance and cutting the error rate and the passes will stick and tackles will be made, I think it will be a long night for the Welsh.

Given the suspect defence of our wingers, I wouldn't be surprised if Moala gets Tamanivalu's spot on the bench or maybe even a start on the wing, if they feel Savea needs to be sent a message. More likely that they will start the same XV, with the exception of Whitelock coming back in.

J.Savea really needs to lift his game, as I'm sure they'll look at other options soon. Interesting to see how James Lowe goes for the Chiefs at fullback, as he must be a consideration as a back up, now that Patrick Osborne isn't, for the left wing

Given the suspect defence of our wingers, I wouldn't be surprised if Moala gets Tamanivalu's spot on the bench or maybe even a start on the wing, if they feel Savea needs to be sent a message. More likely that they will start the same XV, with the exception of Whitelock coming back in.

J.Savea really needs to lift his game, as I'm sure they'll look at other options soon. Interesting to see how James Lowe goes for the Chiefs at fullback, as he must be a consideration as a back up, now that Patrick Osborne isn't, for the left wing

Wouldn't mind Lowe getting a run, but I think Shag likes the idea of putting Ben back at wing, since we have a lot of depth now at fullback we can probably afford to run this. Dagg and Mckenzie in the frame and even Barrett. Squeezing Lowe in seems to not be that much of a priority, given NMS injury and he still didn't get selected.

Wouldn't mind Lowe getting a run, but I think Shag likes the idea of putting Ben back at wing, since we have a lot of depth now at fullback we can probably afford to run this. Dagg and Mckenzie in the frame and even Barrett. Squeezing Lowe in seems to not be that much of a priority, given NMS injury and he still didn't get selected.

I would've thought that now if they put Dagg out they'll keep Smith at 15 with Dagg wing. Now that Smith's vc I doubt they'll play him out of position as much.

I would've thought that now if they put Dagg out they'll keep Smith at 15 with Dagg wing. Now that Smith's vc I doubt they'll play him out of position as much.

I don't think that's the case. People were worried about our defense out wide given Savea's missed tackles that led directly to tries, it'd make more sense to have Ben out there who has strong experience and didn't miss a tackle vs Wales.

And Dagg has been very solid at fullback and is more than capable of stepping into that position given the opportunity.

I'd rather just have patience with Savea, as we saw last season he took a few games to hit his stride.

But Dagg also has some terrible defense...

But better under the high ball than Naholo, who Wales did target; we also saw SA target NMS with this tactic in the semis where Habana won this aerial battle. Could see a back 3 of Savea, Dagg and Ben Smith in the 2nd test if Hansen wants to shore this area up.

On another note article on stuff with vids and stats of how important quick ball is to AB game plan compared to how slow Wales's ruck speed is.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-blacks-v-wales-first-test-match-at-eden-park

I'd rather just have patience with Savea, as we saw last season he took a few games to hit his stride.

IMO Julian was amazing in 1 game, good in another and basically poor/average the rest of the time.

being a bit out of form, down on pace or just not having the same impact is one thing but missing tackles is another. If hes not firing on attack then others will pickup the slack but if hes only tackling at 50-60% then he should be dropped. I think hes only tackling at 60% in super rugby this year. The AB's aim to tackle at 90%, its not good enough.

I'm not a fan of having two big wingers on the park. I like the balance a lot better when we have 1 big attacking winger and basically two fullbacks to makeup the back three. So for me you pick 1 of either Savea, Naholo and Moala. Then you pick 2 from Ben Smith, Barrett and Dagg. Skudder can fit into this group as well but he also needs to build a bit on his experience in this area. He was a bit vulnerable on defense and diffusing kicks in the WC.

I think this is one of the most important selection lessons learned post 2007, where IMO Richard Kahui created the blueprint for the ideal winger.

I would run Barrett at 11, I think this last game basically showed that the AB's operate better with him on the field. I think the selectors are keen for him to focus on 10 & 15 which is why they move Ben Smith. But surely it cant be too hard for him to adapt to playing 11 so Naholo and Ben Smith can stay in their preferred positions.

Was interesting to see Hansen basically say that Cruden is starting and Barrett is on the bench simply because Barrett is great from the bench and Cruden doesn't offer as much in that role. If the coaches are intent on keeping him in that role, which is actually very important. As much as any starting role IMO. then give Dagg a run at 11.

Savea to stay at 11 - when in form is close to if not the most damaging winger in world rugby. All Blacks will get the best out of him just like they got out of Nonu.

Naholo is a must keep and must develop. He looks to have scary good potential and is an out and out match winner.

Savea to stay at 11 - when in form is close to if not the most damaging winger in world rugby. All Blacks will get the best out of him just like they got out of Nonu.

Naholo is a must keep and must develop. He looks to have scary good potential and is an out and out match winner.

yeah, play him all season and if we are lucky we will get 1-2 good games out of him at some stage like last year.... Sounds like a solid plan?

when Savea was at his best he busted defenses pretty much every time he got the ball. Now most games he will go 80min without doing it once. If hes not making tackles either than there is no reason to keep persisting. IMO he needs to lean up a bit and get his speed back.

Was interesting to see Hansen basically say that Cruden is starting and Barrett is on the bench simply because Barrett is great from the bench and Cruden doesn't offer as much in that role. If the coaches are intent on keeping him in that role, which is actually very important. As much as any starting role IMO. then give Dagg a run at 11.

To be perfectly blunt Cruden (at the moment) doesnt offer anything in any role he is in my opinion the most bland and uninspiring of our potental 10's.

Barretts biggest problem is his goal kicking but then Cruden isn't going to set the world alight in that area either but I am sure Barrett could boost his percentages by only taking the easy ones for the Hurricanes.

Personally I think I would boot Cruden for touch until he finds the form he has a few years ago and run with Sopoaga for the first half and Barrett for the second, I think Sopoaga's kicking is a better trade than anything Cruden has to offer currently and Barrett earns his reputation as a super-sub.

Oddly enough I didn't think Savea was all that bad in the last game (not great but not terrible either which applied to a lot of the AB's in that game) , sure he was noticably absent in the stats but at least he managed to catch a ball which put him ahead of Naholo in my opinion as far as Naholo goes I was impressed by his work load but the number of dropped balls was pretty bad.

Unfortunately for Savea however Naholo is a rugby Kardashian loved by social media and overrated by almost ever other standard.

Last edited:
I must admit I miss Piutau. He always balanced the team nicely, especially in defense.

To be perfectly blunt Cruden (at the moment) doesnt offer anything in any role he is in my opinion the most bland and uninspiring of our potental 10's.

Barretts biggest problem is his goal kicking but then Cruden isn't going to set the world alight in that area either but I am sure Barrett could boost his percentages by only taking the easy ones for the Hurricanes.

Personally I think I would boot Cruden for touch until he finds the form he has a few years ago and run with Sopoaga for the first half and Barrett for the second, I think Sopoaga's kicking is a better trade than anything Cruden has to offer currently and Barrett earns his reputation as a super-sub.

Oddly enough I didn't think Savea was all that bad in the last game (not great but not terrible either which applied to a lot of the AB's in that game) , sure he was noticably absent in the stats but at least he managed to catch a ball which put him ahead of Naholo in my opinion as far as Naholo goes I was impressed by his work load but the number of dropped balls was pretty bad.

Unfortunately for Savea however Naholo is a rugby Kardashian loved by social media and overrated by almost ever other standard.

quite harsh on cruden. I'm not his biggest fan but I like to think I keep it real. he actually had a good game and while his kicking hasn't been great he at least gets a pass mark for his efforts. Hit the bar with one you wouldn't expect him to have the range for. Missed one he should have got but got another from the sideline so he did ok. Conditions were good though, wellington will be tougher.

He had a tidy game and caused a lot of problems for the welsh when he got fast ball. he also defended well enough and he generally does make the wright decision. And considering it was the first game in the series you expect he will get even better.

I do think Barrett has been a bit hard done by though. Stats suggest he has been the best of the three in super rugby. His goal kicking stats should be adjusted for the fact most of his kicking is done in the cake tin, which is surely one of the worst grounds in the comp for kicking goals.

Funny thing is. The All Blacks seem to go quite well with both of them on the field. They are both good defenders and they both add a different dimension on attack. Cruden with his wider channel probing runs and offloads and Barrett with his speed running at midfield gaps. With the both of them plus Aaron smith and ben Smith there are a lot of playmakers the opposition need to keep tabs on.

I think its great having Barrett on the park because of his speed. He can chase down and tackle opposition players who make line breaks or take intercepts or use that speed to finish when we get those situations.

and finally yeah, Piutau left at the worst time. In terms of the All Blacks and the Blues as well. Brilliant running game and light years ahead of Savea on defense and under the high ball. Plus the versatility to play fullback, wing or midfield.

quite harsh on cruden. I'm not his biggest fan but I like to think I keep it real. he actually had a good game and while his kicking hasn't been great he at least gets a pass mark for his efforts. Hit the bar with one you wouldn't expect him to have the range for. Missed one he should have got but got another from the sideline so he did ok. Conditions were good though, wellington will be tougher.

He had a tidy game and caused a lot of problems for the welsh when he got fast ball. he also defended well enough and he generally does make the wright decision. And considering it was the first game in the series you expect he will get even better.

I do think Barrett has been a bit hard done by though. Stats suggest he has been the best of the three in super rugby. His goal kicking stats should be adjusted for the fact most of his kicking is done in the cake tin, which is surely one of the worst grounds in the comp for kicking goals.

Funny thing is. The All Blacks seem to go quite well with both of them on the field. They are both good defenders and they both add a different dimension on attack. Cruden with his wider channel probing runs and offloads and Barrett with his speed running at midfield gaps. With the both of them plus Aaron smith and ben Smith there are a lot of playmakers the opposition need to keep tabs on.

I think its great having Barrett on the park because of his speed. He can chase down and tackle opposition players who make line breaks or take intercepts or use that speed to finish when we get those situations.

and finally yeah, Piutau left at the worst time. In terms of the All Blacks and the Blues as well. Brilliant running game and light years ahead of Savea on defense and under the high ball. Plus the versatility to play fullback, wing or midfield.

I don't think it is all that harsh at all, Cruden on form is without a doubt the best 10 we have however I don't think he has been at that level for a few years, Barrett is in my opinion the best sub in world rugby and not a starting 15 player.

As I indicated I would not have Cruden in the team in the form he is currently as I think other players offer better alternatives in all aspects of the game, I am not a fan of Sopoaga but I think his kicking is better than both Barrett and Cruden and his general play is at least as good as Cruden but no where near Barrett so based on current form as such I would go with Sopoaga as the starting 10.

my dream 15 for the 2nd test...

1. Crockett
2. Coles
3. Faumuina
4. Retalick
5. Whitelock
6. Kaino
7. A.Savea
8. Read
9. A.Smith
10. Cruden
11. Moala
12. Crotty
13. Fekitoa
14. Naholo
15. B.Smith

16. Harris
17. Moody
18. Franks
19. Dixon
20. Cane
21. Kerr-Barlow
22. Barrett
23. Sopoaga

:D

Don't worry about this game boys. Worry about the Chiefs vs Wales.

Not sure who to cheer for...

But 2, 6, 7, and 23 are all Taranaki players... So... Very conflicted.

3 of our probable starters for Saturday are taking part in the Chiefs game today. Saturday is not going to go well

Barrett is in my opinion the best sub in world rugby and not a starting 15 player.

This!

How many times does he have to come on as a super-sub and bust the game wide open, or clinch a tight game, with his blistering speed and skill before the haters give him some credit and accept that he fully deserves his spot?

Latest posts