• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

I also would not rule out George Moala being involved in the All Black midfield,. He is a an excellent ball carrier and a very hard tackler, although his distribution skills need work. And of course you forgot SBW who will be back from Olympic Sevens duties by the time the RC starts, and he is signed to the NZRU until after the Lions tour.

I've been sadly disappointed with Georges development in MF with the Blues, I really thought Tana could work with him, seems like a match made in rugby heaven. But his tackling was so poor and at a terrible 60% at one point that he even got replaced by that English fella Piers or something.

But not all hope seems to be lost, he has been selected again, so Hansen sees something, he was listed as an outside back though, so I'm not sure what vision they have for him.

I doubt Steve Hansen would ever select a player purely on that basis

Yes I know but it is no doubt a BIG part of why he was selected. You take away Fekiotoas individual brilliance, lets pretend hes never made those breaks for the Higlanders ever. Does he still get selected?

I think its a no brainer that a BIG part of why he was selected was due to his line breaks.

Also after viewing that line break that clip, it's not really what I was expecting from him. Especially when you compare what he does or what he he USE to do for the Highlanders.

We'll have to wait and see this week if he can rip Jono Davies apart but at the moment, I'd say Davies is better than Fekitoa.

Last edited:
Don't know why a bunch of kiwi's are crying as soon as someone points out any flaws in AB players. Romano isn't a world class lock in my opinion. He runs far too upright. In his last 120 minutes of international rugby he has made 13 carries for 22 metres, and only had 1 lineout catch. In Super Rugby he has made 53 carries in 10 games, for 71 metres (1.3m per carry). Now it's not outstandingly low for a tight forward, but considering hes so often used as a short option to get past the advantage line it's not awe inspiring. He literally is behind Tuipolutu on every single stat this Super Rugby season.

Dagg has managed a few reasonable games in a row which is great. He did have four bad years however. I don't think he fits in anywhere when NMS is back..

Don't know why a bunch of kiwi's are crying as soon as someone points out any flaws in AB players. Romano isn't a world class lock in my opinion. He runs far too upright. In his last 120 minutes of international rugby he has made 13 carries for 22 metres, and only had 1 lineout catch. In Super Rugby he has made 53 carries in 10 games, for 71 metres (1.3m per carry). Now it's not outstandingly low for a tight forward, but considering hes so often used as a short option to get past the advantage line it's not awe inspiring. He literally is behind Tuipolutu on every single stat this Super Rugby season.

Dagg has managed a few reasonable games in a row which is great. He did have four bad years however. I don't think he fits in anywhere when NMS is back..

And Sam Whitelock in his last 219 minutes has made 14 carries and 12 metres. Let's drop him and not rate him. But agreed, Tuipulotu is better and should be selected ahead of him - Romano.

Last edited:
No offense @The_Blindside . But all I see is an Englishman trying to talk big on the internet after a bit of nice form and put the AB's down unreasonably. I can't agree with your opinions attempting to devalue a lot of our players, so it's probably best we just stop there.

And all I saw was a AB fan trying to talk down England's series victory by saying Australia were missing so and so players and England were not that impressive etc. You forget that in the context of the series win it was a big deal for this England team, who are relatively young and historically England had only beaten Australia 3 times on their patch before.

My point got lost I.e International rugby is all about strength in depth. If your depth is not good enough then that is a reflection of your stocks. ABs of course have the best strength in depth. It doesn't mean all the players are world class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty pleased with the overall Welsh performance, they kept on going and deserved the two late tries. The ABs are just ridiculously good, give them a sniff and it's game over.

Mixed feelings about the centres though: as big a fan as I am of the two starters, I do think Scott Williams should be given a decent run (even if for just 30 mins!). I think he brings more running, attacking options and would cause the ABs problems. J Davies kicks every other time he receives the ball (under orders, presumably) and Roberts seems to spend most of his time tackling nowadays; Scott might add a new dimension.

Thought Patchell did really well, Liam Williams was brilliant again (thought Naholo was a bit lucky to not get a yellow?) and the back row were superb. The lineout is really the weak link - all the hard work to get there and they concede possession so cheaply....

Good to see that 1/2p is back in action - getting him back (in any position) will be a huge boost.

And all I saw was a AB fan trying to talk down England's series victory by saying Australia were missing so and so players and England were not that impressive etc. You forget that in the context of the series win it was a big deal for this England team, who are relatively young and historically England had only beaten Australia 3 times on their patch before.

My point got lost I.e International rugby is all about strength in depth. If your depth is not good enough then that is a reflection of your stocks. ABs of course have the best strength in depth. It doesn't mean all the players are world class.

I thought the English have played great, 2 wins in row in Aus, holding them scoreless in the 2nd half last test, the English should be proud of their team and you are so correct in the terms of depth, everyone talks about the AB's depth and they are correct, we don't have the best in every position but we have so much depth that is just as good as most starters across the board.

Thought Patchell did really well, Liam Williams was brilliant again (thought Naholo was a bit lucky to not get a yellow?) and the back row were superb. The lineout is really the weak link - all the hard work to get there and they concede possession so cheaply....

Very lucky imo. From where I was sat it was a pretty cynical shoulder barge. Definitely was worthy of a yellow, I've seen them given for far softer things.

giphy.gif

Very lucky imo. From where I was sat it was a pretty cynical shoulder barge. Definitely was worthy of a yellow, I've seen them given for far softer things.

giphy.gif
Yeah that's a yellow card. Saw it before and thought nothing of it but that footage shows a big effort to shoulder charge whoever he is.

Liam Williams. He's quite good.... AT FLOPPING

I mean look at him in the above one. Throws the neck back like he's off to do the cha cha or something. The one where Naholo takes him out in the air is very similar if you watch it in slow mo. He does exactly the same thing.

But yeah Naholo was pretty lucky to escape atleast one yellow I'll give you that.

Personally I dont see the problem with that type of play. Naholo was fully commited to tackling that guy he put the chip through at the last second imo he can expect to get ruffed up a bit. I would expect any opposition player of the AB's to do exactly the same thing Naholo did there he didnt coat hanger him it was just a bit of shoulder.... just the right amount imo aswell.

Last edited:
On the AB's a few talking points.

I thought Sam Cane had a really good game, he got stuck into everything. I think if the people who are hating on him actually sat down and watched the game following him and watching what he does they would change their minds.

Read was phenomenal.

Dagg had a good comeback in the first half. But was quiet in the 2nd and did make some mistakes as the welsh got some comeback points. His boot was handy to have and well used. I would still rather see Ben Smith at 15 and Dagg at 11. let Naholo play in his natural position as well.

Ben Smith was superb the whole way through.

Barrett again did a fantastic job coming off the bench early. Deserves to start the final test and will have the chance to get that monkey off his back, being seen as a better bench player than a starter. I think hes matured a lot since he got his chances starting.

I tend to see the Savea/Cane battle the same as the Cruden/Barrett one in that Savea and Barrett are better coming off the bench and not as starters. Both are excellent impact players but I think they lose a lot when elevated to the starting 15.

As far as the number 10 jersey goes for this last match I would like to see a Sopoaga/Barrett pairing.

I mean look at him in the above one. Throws the neck back like he's off to do the cha cha or something. The one where Naholo takes him out in the air is very similar if you watch it in slow mo. He does exactly the same thing.

But yeah Naholo was pretty lucky to escape atleast one yellow I'll give you that.

Personally I dont see the problem with that type of play. Naholo was fully commited to tackling that guy he put the chip through at the last second imo he can expect to get ruffed up a bit. I would expect any opposition player of the AB's to do exactly the same thing Naholo did there he didnt coat hanger him it was just a bit of shoulder.... just the right amount imo aswell.

Yeah rugby is tough and all that, and I am sure Naholo can take care of himself, but its deffo a cheap shot and cowardly in the context of any rugby game. If Naholo was committed to the tackle, as you claim, then he'd have tackled him about the waste, and no one would have said a thing. As it was, it was high, no attempt to wrap his arms, shoulder and late. SHee-ite! Failed just about every known definition of a well timed rugby tackle. No matter who it was, that was just pansy assed, for a big man. Should have been yellow. Bad reffing in this age of constant stops and replays for the TMO. We've all done it....or been on the end of it. :)

Was a bit of Hollywood from the Welsh bloke all the same.

That's my two bits.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

I agree, and Liam Williams is probably also lucky to avoid a being penalised.

From the WR Laws Group

"Play acting or “simulation†will be specifically outlawed in the game in a move that formalises resistance to a practice that has been creeping into the game in recent years. Any player who dives or feigns injury in an effort to influence the match officials will be liable for sanction. Previously, such offences were covered under the laws covering general acts contrary to good sportsmanship"

New addition to Law 10.2

[TEXTAREA]10.2 (d) A player must not commit any act that may lead the match officials to consider that that player was subject to foul play or any other type of infringement committed by an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/TEXTAREA]

If Williams is one of those players who makes a habit of putting on a show when he is fouled (and judging by the way he threw his head back and went down like he'd been shot, I'd say that he probably is) then its a habit he is going to have to get out of.

I agree, and Liam Williams is probably also lucky to avoid a being penalised.

From the WR Laws Group

New addition to Law 10.2

[TEXTAREA]10.2 (d) A player must not commit any act that may lead the match officials to consider that that player was subject to foul play or any other type of infringement committed by an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/TEXTAREA]

If Williams is one of those players who makes a habit of putting on a show when he is fouled (and judging by the way he threw his head back and went down like he'd been shot, I'd say that he probably is) then its a habit he is going to have to get out of.

the conversation we had at our society meeting is that the law is only meant to punish players who try to make it look like there was contact even though there wasn't any... exaggerating is not a penalty, only faking

Latest posts