• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Wales.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg; 14 Ben Smith, 13 George Moala, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Julian Savea; 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith; 8 Kieran Read (captain), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Elliot Dixon; 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Sam Whitelock; 3 Charlie Faumuina, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Joe Moody

Substitutes: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Luke Romano, 20 Liam Squire, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Lima Sopoaga, 23 Waisake Naholo

Wales: 15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Rhys Webb, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (captain), 6 Ross Moriarty, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Tomas Francis, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Rob Evans

Substitutes: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Aaron Jarvis, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Jake Ball, 20 Ellis Jenkins, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Scott Williams

Last edited:
Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies and Josh Turnbull rulled out due to injury. They are already on a flight home. Jamie Roberts still going through HIA protocol but expected to be passed fit in time.

I wonder if Hallam Amos will keep his place on the wing, was a bit out defensively but did nothing wrong in attack with a few nice touches. it would be a shame if U20 star Keelan Giles doesnt get a bench spot at least. otherwise he will have been taken away from the U20 squad for no reason.

I'd like to see the following play;

1.Joe Moody
2.Coles
3.Owen Franks
4.Retallick
5.Whitelock
6.Dixon
7.Sam Cane
8.Read
9.A.Smith
10.Sopoaga
11.J.Savea
12.Crotty
13.Fekitoa
14.Naholo
15.B.Smith

Res.

16.Taylor
17.Tu'ungafasi
18.Faumuina
19.Tuipulotu
20.A.Savea
21.TJ Perenara
22.Barrett
23.D.Mckenzie

I think it's important to blood some new players but also maintain continuity and stability keeping our core leaders in the side. Wales have shown they can be a tough nut to crack and have some quality in their back line to score tries, so we can't go changing everything up.

Front row should remain relatively the same, with Tu'ungafasi getting a run later in the game to make his debut.
Taylor should get some more game time.

Tuipulotu might get a start over Whitelock, but I'd like to keep continuity there and Tuipulotu has been extremely good off the bench.

I think this is a great chance for Dixon to show what he's got. Giving him a start at the Barr would be a great occasion for him, what a fitting situation it would be as well, funny how everything has played out.

Ardie probably deserves a start, but it'd be a tad risky starting Dixon and Savea at the same time (probably wouldn't be, but for precautions sake) and he's just so good off the bench, I can see him playing this role to perfection over the coming years.

Smith and Sopoaga starting at the Barr again is perfect, Sopoagas first home game start, I imagine him to put it a huge performance, keeping the combination that's worked so well for the Highlanders.

I think Julian Savea really deserves another chance before the RC, he's provided us with some excellent performances the past few years, he might be out off form and shape currently, but like last year he showed us he can come back from a form slump.

Again for continuity and allowing each other to familiarize themselves with one another, Crotty and Fekitoa should again start. Fekitoa has certainly been underwhelming, but give him time to grow into the role, there's also a chance Ngatai will have injury problems again come RC time, so it's important these two get as much game time together as possible and Tamanivalu hasn't done nearly enough to demand a start.

I'd be cruel not to play Naholo or Ben at the Barr. But it's possible Hansen might give Moala a game at 14 and Dagg another crack at 15.

The bench

D.McKenzie deserves a debut, expecting him to come on for Ben eventually, Barrett can come on at 10, and they can move Sopoaga to 12 if needed, which he's played well at when required for the Highlanders

Last edited:
team has been named

ALL BLACKS: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, George Moala, Ryan Crotty, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Elliot Dixon, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Charlie Faumuina, Dane Coles, Joe Moody. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Luke Romano, Liam Squire, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo.

I guess we will get to see if I'm right about Moala, I'm certian he is better than his blues form suggests. Its only one game in a side with many changes but I think he will make the most of this.

Gutted they couldn't find room for McKenzie on the bench... Just give him that number 23! We shouldn't really need Naholo there as insurance!

WALES TEAM TO PLAY NEW ZEALAND
Rhys Patchell (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Will be interesting to see how Dixon takes to international rugby.

team has been named

ALL BLACKS: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, George Moala, Ryan Crotty, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Elliot Dixon, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Charlie Faumuina, Dane Coles, Joe Moody. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Luke Romano, Liam Squire, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo.

I guess we will get to see if I'm right about Moala, I'm certian he is better than his blues form suggests. Its only one game in a side with many changes but I think he will make the most of this.

Gutted they couldn't find room for McKenzie on the bench... Just give him that number 23! We shouldn't really need Naholo there as insurance!

Dropping Naholo for Savea just seems stupid to me. They dropped Savea to make a pin to him that he needs to pick up his game, then put him back in the next game? And Naholo who's still trying to gain confidence in international rugby is going to lose a lot of it now. Same goes for Ardie Savea, should've given him a start if they really want Squire to get a run off the bench. Would've liked to see Sopoaga start, but at least he's on the bench. No McKenzie is upsetting, but probably the right call. Sopoaga needs the run out, and when he's covering 10 there's no need for McKenzie who covers 10 & 15. Good to see Faumaina getting the start, I rate him more than Franks TBH. Dropping Fekitoa seems harsh, I'd have rather seen him stay in with Moala at 12, and Crotty off. I know Fekitoa hasn't been great so far, but give him more time and I have no doubt that he will be world class.

DIXON!

Dropping Naholo for Savea just seems stupid to me. They dropped Savea to make a pin to him that he needs to pick up his game, then put him back in the next game? And Naholo who's still trying to gain confidence in international rugby is going to lose a lot of it now. Same goes for Ardie Savea, should've given him a start if they really want Squire to get a run off the bench. Would've liked to see Sopoaga start, but at least he's on the bench. No McKenzie is upsetting, but probably the right call. Sopoaga needs the run out, and when he's covering 10 there's no need for McKenzie who covers 10 & 15. Good to see Faumaina getting the start, I rate him more than Franks TBH. Dropping Fekitoa seems harsh, I'd have rather seen him stay in with Moala at 12, and Crotty off. I know Fekitoa hasn't been great so far, but give him more time and I have no doubt that he will be world class.

DIXON!

I think you've read it wrong.

Naholo hasn't been dropped, I would call this change more rotation, Naholo has had a big workload in the first two tests, I can only guess that Savea is looking fresh and training well.
Barrett Deserves the start simple as that. Hes not just a good bench player and hopefully this will be the start of getting that monkey off his back in the post carter era.
Faumaina and Franks are both really good, franks has been more consistent and probably has more workrate but when Charlie is on form you can argue that he is right up there maybe better. This change again is a bit about rotation as well, not form.
Fekitoa got his head smashed open and injured a leg last week. He probably could have played but why not give him a break and give Moala another shot. I personally think Moala is a better player than Fekitoa, Moala just doesn't get to run in the talented and consistent Highlanders backline, He will have a lot more for the welsh to worry about with Ball in hand than Fekitoa.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be right about Moala, the fact hes starting also suggests to me that the coaches like what they are seeing from him at training.

I know he hasn't been dropped necessarily, but I'd have still thought that after having a shaky game on Saturday (Nearly giving away a yellow on 2 occasions), this will be a huge knock to his confidence. I reckon they should've just left Savea out, now his dropping last weekend just seems like a slap on the wrist. What he needs is a kick up the arse.

Cannot see Wales getting any closer with this team than they have in the previous two tests. Tempted to say, is that all you got?

Wales can definitely win this test but they need to stop those New Zealand blitzes in the second half where they score 3+ tries in 15 minutes. Wales have got to sort out the lineout, and be more cynical during those spells of pressure. They have to make the game stop-start in the second half, just allowing New Zealand to play the game they want at high tempo is a recipe for disaster. Wales have played good rugby, but they have to be prepared to play ugly to stop New Zealand running away with games. With Barrett's awful goal-kicking and a slightly odd looking New Zealand line-up, they've got every chance here.

Wales can definitely win this test but they need to stop those New Zealand blitzes in the second half where they score 3+ tries in 15 minutes. Wales have got to sort out the lineout, and be more cynical during those spells of pressure. They have to make the game stop-start in the second half, just allowing New Zealand to play the game they want at high tempo is a recipe for disaster. Wales have played good rugby, but they have to be prepared to play ugly to stop New Zealand running away with games. With Barrett's awful goal-kicking and a slightly odd looking New Zealand line-up, they've got every chance here.

You haven't been watching rugby for very long have you?

1. Joe Moody (13)
2. Dane Coles (38)
3. Charlie Faumuina (35)
4. Brodie Retallick (49)
5. Samuel Whitelock (74)
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Sam Cane (33)
8. Kieran Read - captain (86)
9. Aaron Smith (49)
10. Beauden Barrett (38)
11. Julian Savea (42)
12. Ryan Crotty (17)
13. George Moala (1)
14. Ben Smith (50)
15. Israel Dagg (50)

Bench;

16. Codie Taylor (4)
17. Wyatt Crockett (47)
18. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
19. Luke Romano (23)
20. Liam Squire
21. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (20)
22. Lima Sopoaga (1)
23. Waisake Naholo (5)

I am also bitterly disappointed D.McKenzie is not getting a game. I'm sure it was a hard decision for Hansen not to give him his debut, especially in a dead rubber, but he must really want to look at a few things first and get some more regular starters back into the swing of things to build that stable core.

Stoked for Elliot Dixon, I'm sure he'll step up to the task, I expect him to be all over the park and physical and pick and goes off the ruck, expecting a try from him as well.

EDIT: I guess Barrett has deserved his start, but Sopoaga is far more of a starter than an impact player and we all know Barretts power coming off the bench. I guess Hansen wants to see if he can step up to the starters role, but there's one big problem, HE CAN'T KICK. Not only that, he can't read the game like Cruden and Sopoaga as well. He's far better in the later stages of a game utilizing his pace and running games when teams are worn down, so I feel Sopoaga should definitely be started and Barrett come on at 10..

P.S I also just found out Fekitoa is injured, hence the exclusion, good luck to George.

Last edited:
Barretts kicking isn't that bad compared to sopoaga when you consider that Barrett has half his games in the windiest city in NZ and an oval ground that makes it worse and Sopoaga has half his games indoors. Barrett is fine at reading a game I dont buy that, his stats on attack and distributing are impressive and from what I recall he handles the ball a LOT more than the other 10's around. He does a lot of the phase play and donkey work that other 10's dont. A couple of years ago barrett had questions on his defense and I would actually say right now hes the best defending 10 we have and its quite a big advantage he has over Sopoaga in that area.

Barrett has only started something like 6-7 of his 37-38 tests at 10, I think this notion that he cant start at test rugby really isn't based on anything valid and is at the very least out dated.

There aren't really that many changes in the run on team if you take away the forced ones

Forced changes
Selection changes

15 Israel Dagg
14 Ben Smith
13 George Moala
12 Ryan Crotty
11 Julian Savea
10 Beauden Barrett
9 Aaron Smith
8 Kieran Read (captain)
7 Sam Cane
6 Elliot Dixon
5 Sam Whitelock
4 Brodie Retallick
3 Charlie Faumuina
2 Dane Coles
1 Joe Moody

A few concerns on the bench though...

1. where is our bench impact going to come from with Ardie Savea dropped (the Welsh will be relieved about that) and Barrett starting?
2. What the hell did Ardie do wrong?
3. If George Moala is injured in the first couple of minutes, how are we going to cover centre
- Sopoaga to 12, Crotty to 13?
- Ben Smith to 13, Naholo to 14?

Maybe this confirms the plan I suggested above. Naholo is there to cover 13 (with a reshuffle) as much as to cover the wing.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy to say @Ludders93, but very hard to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not time to give Scott Williams a chance?

I'd like to see that, but I'm told he had a poor game against the Chiefs and is still looking short of full fitness after his knee injury. Has to be given a serious run-out in the Autumn tests though.

Otherwise it's a decent 15/23 in view of the injuries we've had. Open play has been great but the set-pieces have to come good if we're to stand a chance on Saturday......

Pretty septic about Ardie not even being in the team... Borderline foaming at the mouth tbh.

Everything else is probably fair, I guess we have to also figure out who continues as our 6. Ultimately I feel that Akira Ioane will be there, with both Read and Kaino being over 30, but he's having a shot at being an Olympian atm.

On the Breakdown this week, the had "the debate", about Savea and Cane... I didn't agree with it whatsoever.

Totally different players, totally different roles.
Rubbish... They both play the same position for their super rugby franchises... How can you say that? It's not like comparing two wingers and their styles, it's THE number 7 jersey and there is a SET role in that jersey.

This goes back through all the great All Black teams. The loose forward trio have a role, there's always a ball carrying, aggressive player. This is Kaino. There's always an athletic person who can go wide, and has aerial skills. Read, in this scenario. And there is always a grafter, McCaw was a grafter, Sam Cane is that grafter. You change one person and bring in an athlete like Ardie Savea, that changes the role of a Kaino, changes the role of a Read. This works, for Steve Hansen.

Since when has Ardie Savea just been considered "an athlete"? This isn't 2014/2015 Ian Jones ffs... He was the one plugging away for Savea to start above Cane, because Savea beat Cane at practically every single statistic. Him and Wilson did a "heart vs stats" All Black team the other week. But now? Ardie isn't a grafter apparently... Utter crap tbh.

Ofa Tu'uingafasi should be an interesting watch, he has been in all of the systems so far, strong boy, that's for sure. And so should Dixon.

Latest posts