• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

Barrett pleasantly surprised me tonight with his kicking technique, they have clearly put in some hard work into it and he's come along way. Hopefully he can continue to work on it and develop it even further. He kind of neglected it for a while.

Barrett pleasantly surprised me tonight with his kicking technique, they have clearly put in some hard work into it and he's come along way. Hopefully he can continue to work on it and develop it even further. He kind of neglected it for a while.

Barrett was brilliant tonight, very very talented rugby player. You lose Carter and gain Barrett! incredible

Barrett was brilliant tonight, very very talented rugby player. You lose Carter and gain Barrett! incredible

He targeted the Welsh forwards in the backline and always got on the outside, he can drift so well with the ball. Depending what sort of game we want we can go with Cruden at 10 or Barrett, great having such versatility and depth to our game

The gulf between New Zealand, and the other tier 1 nations with similar small populations (Scotland, Wales & Ireland) is just amazing - the sport must be so well organised in NZ at all levels to maintain these sort of performances and strength in depth. There is no excuse for the northern hemisphere teams and they have to aspire to closing that gap against a country with similar resources. I hate hearing commentators talk about Wales being decent for two tests as if that is an acheivement and excuses them getting horsed in the last test. It's unacceptable. Looking at the NZ performance though I'm just relieved Scotland are hiding away in Japan just now; they'd put a cricket score up against us.

The gulf between New Zealand, and the other tier 1 nations with similar small populations (Scotland, Wales & Ireland) is just amazing - the sport must be so well organised in NZ at all levels to maintain these sort of performances and strength in depth. There is no excuse for the northern hemisphere teams and they have to aspire to closing that gap against a country with similar resources. I hate hearing commentators talk about Wales being decent for two tests as if that is an acheivement and excuses them getting horsed in the last test. It's unacceptable. Looking at the NZ performance though I'm just relieved Scotland are hiding away in Japan just now; they'd put a cricket score up against us.
Well to be honest we're never going to be at that level in Ireland. GAA is way more popular as is football. That won't be changing any time soon. No idea how we'd look if all our top athletes played rugby.

Atrocious comes to mind! When were bad we are really bad! I feel sorry for the welsh support over there to watch a dire performance like that at least they could admire the ABs . Well done NZ they turned up again even with the series in the bag and played some sublime rugby, No point talking about where we go for here because the wru are useless bunch of blind.... We will just continue with our brand of 1990s slow ponderous rugby with FAT unfit immobile props .

Atrocious comes to mind! When were bad we are really bad! I feel sorry for the welsh support over there to watch a dire performance like that at least they could admire the ABs . Well done NZ they turned up again even with the series in the bag and played some sublime rugby, No point talking about where we go for here because the wru are useless bunch of blind.... We will just continue with our brand of 1990s slow ponderous rugby with FAT unfit immobile props .

Shocking that melon puts more of a shift in than a man 12 years his junior. Goes to show age is just a number or that gethin Jenkins is a freak lol

Game too far. Looked a shadow of the side from the first two tests.

Missing Melon meant that when NZ saw front rows in the back line, they attacked them and went around them. His ability as an extra flanker is extremely underrated when it comes to defensive lines.

Thought Sanjay had a good game again, but could see there was just no energy left.

I think it is a matter of perspective as most (perhaps all) other countries do not play rugby as there primary sport.
When you look at Rugby League and Cricket in this country the arguement reverses in that they are teams that are always on the cusp of being world beaters but never get the funding or support that rugby does.

Barrett is a bit of a problem, he seems to add the spark that ignites the way the All Blacks want to play rugby yet his inconsistency with the boot makes it difficult to choose him in a starting 15. He plays well at 15 yet we have enough 15s to fill most of the tier 1 positions world wide and on top of this he adds a massive boost as a second half sub so what do you do with him?

Last night he was amazing yet there are games where he can barely reach the touchline with a tail wind.

Game too far. Looked a shadow of the side from the first two tests.

Yep I think they were just completely out of steam last night, I think the close nature of the first test spurred a very tired team on in the second test but that was all they had in the tank.

Last edited:
Barrett is a bit of a problem, he seems to add the spark that ignites the way the All Blacks want to play rugby yet his inconsistency with the boot makes it difficult to choose him in a starting 15. He plays well at 15 yet we have enough 15s to fill most of the tier 1 positions world wide and on top of this he adds a massive boost as a second half sub so what do you do with him?

Last night he was amazing yet there are games where he can barely reach the touchline with a tail wind.

If that really is the case, then what he needs is a kicking coach.

This is not much different from a bogey golfer who can stand on the tee-box of a long Par 4 and and drive the ball arrow-straight 300m down the middle of the fairway, and yet the next day, on the same tee-box in the same conditions and with with the same driver, hooks it 150m into the left-side deep rough. A good coach will bring that golfer down to 270m in the middle of the fairway, but he will hit it there drive after drive after drive.

If that really is the case, then what he needs is a kicking coach.

This is not much different from a bogey golfer who can stand on the tee-box of a long Par 4 and and drive the ball arrow-straight 300m down the middle of the fairway, and yet the next day, on the same tee-box in the same conditions and with with the same driver, hooks it 150m into the left-side deep rough. A good coach will bring that golfer down to 270m in the middle of the fairway, but he will hit it there drive after drive after drive.

I agree and certainly some more effort needs to be put into his kicking (alternatively we could find a kicker in another position) but currently his kicking is far to inconsistent to be the All Blacks primary kicker.

I don't like seeing Sopoanga marginalised.
I would like to see him getting more game time.
The guy is super talented he simply needs time to develop in a black shirt.

I feel like Moala vindicated me with his performance. Ive been saying hes better than Fekitoa & Seta for some time and telling people to ignore his Blues form. He came up trumps for me, I knew it was going to happen. Surprised so many disagreed with me.

Plus Barrett as well, hopefully people will stop calling him just an bench/impact player. He Ran the show brilliantly.

The way hansen has talked about him since this game I think people better get used to seeing Moala in the AB's. Shame about his injury hope hes back for TRC.

Good to see Dagg back and building his game. but I'd still much rather it be via the wing to allow Ben Smith to stay at 15, I think Smith is a better defender and more valuable at 15 than being confined more to one side of the field.

I'm gong to have to watch the game again. Was looking forward to seeing Dixon get stuck in but I felt while he was ok he was more quiet than I had hoped.

I feel like Moala vindicated me with his performance. Ive been saying hes better than Fekitoa & Seta for some time and telling people to ignore his Blues form. He came up trumps for me, I knew it was going to happen. Surprised so many disagreed with me.

i lie Fekitoa but for me Moala has something special about him and he's been on fire at the Blues in a fairly average team that has been trying to rise like the Phoenix from some very long cold ashes...

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Barrett and Moala.
Barrett is dynamite. Play him often and he just brings more quality. Cruden and Sopoanga are quality reserves.
If we are looking to the future we need to offer more security of tenure to Sopoanga.
Koala needs more time but the indicators are very bright.
Ardie Savea is another to impress.

George Moala honestly hadn't given much people hope with tackling stats like 60% in the Super Rugby, it's like he was intent on playing himself OUT off the All Blacks. I mean Tana had to drop him for that English 2nd 5.

Don't forget this is just Wales. A decent enough side, but only ever a thorn for us really.

It'd be nice to have a look at these guys like Moala in the RC vs Australia or South Africa and seeing if Barrett can string together a few good games with the boot.

- - - Updated - - -

i lie Fekitoa but for me Moala has something special about him and he's been on fire at the Blues in a fairly average team that has been trying to rise like the Phoenix from some very long cold ashes...

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Barrett and Moala.
Barrett is dynamite. Play him often and he just brings more quality. Cruden and Sopoanga are quality reserves.
If we are looking to the future we need to offer more security of tenure to Sopoanga.
Koala needs more time but the indicators are very bright.
Ardie Savea is another to impress.

I hope you're feeling more like the vast majority of Kiwi's and are a little more confident now in this new group of AB's. Or maybe you need to start buying bottled water and not drinking from the tap in London huh? @The Jones Boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing at home against Wales is a safe bet as you say, but this team has got the hard yards yet to do this year and I wonder at how they will go against the BOks, the Pumas and the Wallabies, especially away from home.
I'm quietly confident but still a little concerned and although the tap water here in London is genuinely unpleasant compared to nectar that flows out of a Kiwi hose it doesn't hurt to keep a sober eye on the way of things.
Aussie came back strong in the last test against the Poms and they will still be a tough nut to crack in their own back yard.
The Boks have been soul searching and came out on top of Ireland.
The Argies smashed up France.
There are no gimmies in the RC.

We have age groups from 5 onwards. We have ripper rugby, which is no contact, gets kids into the sport. Then it goes into tackle. The kids have typically already picked a grassroots club for life by this point, the club rivalries exist from a very young age in my county. You'll be playing first 15 rugby for your primary, and intermediate schools, and still playing for your club, before you get into the big first 15 of your local highschool. For you poms etc, thats 13 till 18. Several things can happen from this point, if you're a superstar, you'll play for New Zealand school boys, you'll walk into your county's under 19s team. Also, if you are in the top tier of your school rugby team, you normally get an offer to be a part of your county's rugby academy too. Which also helps the above progression. If you don't quite make it at NZ school boys, you could still be in the academy because you're the best talent in your region. And then, they'll feed you into the county development team, or the first team(Taranaki, Auckland, Waikato etc). The under 19s competition normally helps with selecting the NZ U20s team. This is where the Super Rugby teams get involved, this is the easiest way to "make it" in NZ rugby. If you shine on the international stage at U20s, there will be a SR contacting you very soon. Or perhaps, you've already been contacted due to earlier star-studded showings, a la Sam Nock in his school season.

Above is the typical way. IF you don't get through there like that, I don't believe someone called Cory Jane did... OR Nehe Milner-Skudder. Playing for your county, ITM Cup team, can always produce late bloomers and ridiculous talent.

As a neutral who happens to watch a fair bit of super rugby I can't help think that (several years back) dagg was the man everyone in NZ wanted at 15 but never quite cut it. Not fit to tie smiths boots in my opinion, and your are right suggesting the latter would be wasted on the wing. Considering the resources NZ have on both wings, why make room for a player like dagg, when smiths clearly the worlds best 15 by a mile.

We have age groups from 5 onwards. We have ripper rugby, which is no contact, gets kids into the sport. Then it goes into tackle. The kids have typically already picked a grassroots club for life by this point, the club rivalries exist from a very young age in my county. You'll be playing first 15 rugby for your primary, and intermediate schools, and still playing for your club, before you get into the big first 15 of your local highschool. For you poms etc, thats 13 till 18. Several things can happen from this point, if you're a superstar, you'll play for New Zealand school boys, you'll walk into your county's under 19s team. Also, if you are in the top tier of your school rugby team, you normally get an offer to be a part of your county's rugby academy too. Which also helps the above progression. If you don't quite make it at NZ school boys, you could still be in the academy because you're the best talent in your region. And then, they'll feed you into the county development team, or the first team(Taranaki, Auckland, Waikato etc). The under 19s competition normally helps with selecting the NZ U20s team. This is where the Super Rugby teams get involved, this is the easiest way to "make it" in NZ rugby. If you shine on the international stage at U20s, there will be a SR contacting you very soon. Or perhaps, you've already been contacted due to earlier star-studded showings, a la Sam Nock in his school season.

Above is the typical way. IF you don't get through there like that, I don't believe someone called Cory Jane did... OR Nehe Milner-Skudder. Playing for your county, ITM Cup team, can always produce late bloomers and ridiculous talent.

a great read.

in the mid 70s I went to a rugby school in the north of England. I was rather upset this school never played football, but had no choice because this was the grammar school my 11 plus placed me at. the team I played in was coached by current rugby players. One from Union, the other league. It went 76 matches from 1st to 6th form without defeat. Not just without defeat, but without dropping a single point. This included many games against school sides throughout England, Wales and France. who had heard of our record, and took a go at us. I can safely say that only one player from that side went on to be capped by his country. None by England. Not sure how many went on to be capped by their county (Lancashire) as I had since left. Several players from the school went on to be trialed by local football teams, but I am guessing few were ever approached to continue with rugby, and why would you, back in the 70s? The point is that rugby has never quite had the infrastructure enjoyed in NZ for decades, nor the same adoration at grassroots. I am guessing the same applies today, particularly in my hometown.

The school I went to was later renamed and adopted football as its premier sport and introduced the world to one Steven Gerrard. I bet no one can name their capped rugby player.

Last edited:

Latest posts