• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: South Africa vs. Ireland [1st Test] (11/06/2016)

Yeah team is pretty much as expected.
The two biggest slights are Combrink and Jaco Kriel of course, both are better than their starting counterparts but such is the climate we live in. I really like Kolisi but he's not better than Kriel. As for JPP I guess one can make an argument for experience, hopefully both of them get a chance this series.

The positives are obviously Faf and Mapoe getting a chance, and the backbone of the team is pretty solid; Strauss, Lambie, our Locks, Vermulen, Flouw and le Roux are all in reasonable form and add a lot of experience.
We should be tough to beat!

Lastly talking smack about de Allende is basically blasphemy, I expect him to score three tries get 5 assists and injure 4 Irishmen, before downing 10 beers and shagging all of our wives and girlfriends before 12am.

The two biggest slights are Combrink and Jaco Kriel of course, both are better than their starting counterparts but such is the climate we live in. I really like Kolisi but he's not better than Kriel. As for JPP I guess one can make an argument for experience, hopefully both of them get a chance this series.

I would actually rather not have Mvovo. JPP has actually played really well this season and fully deserves his spot in the team based on performance alone, the experience just solidifies it.

The positives are obviously Faf and Mapoe getting a chance, and the backbone of the team is pretty solid; Strauss, Lambie, our Locks, Vermulen, Flouw and le Roux are all in reasonable form and add a lot of experience.
We should be tough to beat!

Lastly talking smack about de Allende is basically blasphemy, I expect him to score three tries get 5 assists and injure 4 Irishmen, before downing 10 beers and shagging all of our wives and girlfriends before 12am.

If you don't have a girlfriend or wife, would you suddenly magically get one just so de Allende can shag them? Because then I have mixed feelings.

I think we'll win this. Don't see much between the sides outside the second row and I think an infamous passionate performance is on its way which will of course lead to a bad loss next week.

I think we'll win this. Don't see much between the sides outside the second row and I think an infamous passionate performance is on its way which will of course lead to a bad loss next week.

I wouldn't mind if we lose this match, as long as we show improvement on the style of play that AC wants to implement.

But with that said, I think AC did a great job of picking players in form, and that will add fire to the contest.

Yeah we're definitely due one 'valiant defeat' performance which will make us think we have a seriosu shot in the second test where we will get inevitably blown away. The book will write itself like it always weirdly seems to.

No worries GH - Ireland will not be the only 6N team whitewashed and be interesting to see where a victory is coming from for any of them!!

No worries GH - Ireland will not be the only 6N team whitewashed and be interesting to see where a victory is coming from for any of them!!
For us? The fact that we at the very least have parity with them in every area except for the second row where they have a couple of class players. The fact that both teams are pretty unsettled and it's difficult to know what to expect beyond a pretty heavy barrage down the 12 channel which I'm pretty sure we can handle. Outside of that I don't think the SA backs are particularly daunting. I'm of course not saying we're gonna win, I'm just saying that writing us off would be extremely short sighted, as I'm sure most saffas would agree given the fact we're both looking to develop beyond the game we've been playing of recent. I really don't know what to expect myself. I also wouldn't write our English friends off totally. People are not wrongly down on NH rugby recently but they were extremely dominant in the 6N and their depth is really good at the moment.

Last edited:
For us? The fact that we at the very least have parity with them in every area except for the second row where they have a couple of class players.
I do not think that is the case to be honest.

I do not think that is the case to be honest.
Really? I see SA having obviously better players at 2, 5 and 12 whereas Ireland are a decent bit better at 1, 9 and 13. I'd say SA would come out on top of a combined XV but there's a hell of a lot of close calls.

I can't wait to see how our defence gets on because I think Farrell will have it watertight, Schmidt also gets to focus primarily on attack having spread himself too thin in the 6nations which will have a positive effect. This will be quite a fresh team and I think we'll have a somewhat successful tour.

Really? I see SA having obviously better players at 2, 5 and 12 whereas Ireland are a decent bit better at 1, 9 and 13. I'd say SA would come out on top of a combined XV but there's a hell of a lot of close calls.

I can't wait to see how our defence gets on because I think Farrell will have it watertight, Schmidt also gets to focus primarily on attack having spread himself too thin in the 6nations which will have a positive effect. This will be quite a fresh team and I think we'll have a somewhat successful tour.

I just typed out a long message and then lost it... Sigh...

Basically I think it isn't really possible at the moment to compare teams at the moment because as both teams have a lot of new players and I don't think we know your players too well and I don't think you know ours. For example I really don't know your props, one lock, your flyhalf one of the centres and one of the wings (one or two of those have probably been around a bit but they just don't ring any bells to me).

What I think would be useful is if I described who our good players are from my perspective at the least.

Our locks are well known and are both in good form, although Lood has seemed less abrasive to me in this super rugby season, but he does have a habit of performing really well when he puts on the jersey. Strauss hasn't really stood out in Super Rugby, but he is never really going to disappoint in the Bok jersey, especially when he has been given captaincy. Probably our most exciting player at the moment is our scrumhalf, Faf De Klerk, he is very nippy and has really good vision. De Allende has been really poor since he has returned and the Irish would do well to target his channel. Mapoe has been the stand out South African centre this season and is definitely a significant threat on attack. JPP had an average start to Super Rugby but has really stepped up since the Sharks New Zealand tour and is really looking for work around the field.

On our bench I think we have three potential weak points. We will basically lose our ability to win own lineout ball when Mbonambi comes on, Paige is fine, but there is nothing special about him and Kriel hasn't stood out in Super Rugby and his defence has been under speculation since last year.

Basically I think it isn't really possible at the moment to compare teams at the moment because as both teams have a lot of new players and I don't think we know your players too well and I don't think you know ours. For example I really don't know your props, one lock, your flyhalf one of the centres and one of the wings (one or two of those have probably been around a bit but they just don't ring any bells to me).

What I think would be useful is if I described who our good players are from my perspective at the least.

Our locks are well known and are both in good form, although Lood has seemed less abrasive to me in this super rugby season, but he does have a habit of performing really well when he puts on the jersey. Strauss hasn't really stood out in Super Rugby, but he is never really going to disappoint in the Bok jersey, especially when he has been given captaincy. Probably our most exciting player at the moment is our scrumhalf, Faf De Klerk, he is very nippy and has really good vision. De Allende has been really poor since he has returned and the Irish would do well to target his channel. Mapoe has been the stand out South African centre this season and is definitely a significant threat on attack. JPP had an average start to Super Rugby but has really stepped up since the Sharks New Zealand tour and is really looking for work around the field.

On our bench I think we have three potential weak points. We will basically lose our ability to win own lineout ball when Mbonambi comes on, Paige is fine, but there is nothing special about him and Kriel hasn't stood out in Super Rugby and his defence has been under speculation since last year.
That's fair, there's a lot of parallels between the two sides in many ways. Both have a lot of new talent coming in and will play a different style of rugby than what we have seen in recent years. Our strengths are in different areas than yours. We have a very tactically astute front five but lack explosiveness outside Iain Henderson who, on form, is a world class lock. Similarly in the backrow CJ is the only real ball carrier but Heaslip and Murphy will tackle all day long and know when to hit rucks. Our centres will be interesting, Marshall is a brilliant player for Ulster who's never been given a fair chance in green and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on with Henshaw who is our up and coming superstar. Back threes are similar in that the full backs can be great, Trimble and JP aren't what they once were but can still produce and Mvovo and Earls can balance average with sublime in equal measure.

3, 7 and 13 are the boks who I really wouldn't know.

As you were kind enough to do a run down for us....
McGrath is a consistently excellent player for us and rarely has a bad game in a Leinster or Ireland shirt. Ross is extremely over the hill but still in my books the only guy capable of effectively locking down his side of the scrum at international level, so very little choice here. Best plays with great energy and is exceptional on the ground, but definitely has his off days.
Henderson much like Lood is a baby faced monster. He's only recently back from injury but I have high hoped. Toner is the complete opposite and is picked because of his technical skills and ability to run a lineout very well. Really not a big carrier.
I think the backrow has great balance. I'm sure you know Stander. He took on a lot of our carrying work during the 6N, but will have help from Henderson now. A lot of people bemoan Jordi Murphy's selection but he does a lot of work and tackles well. He was picked instead of adding another big carrier to the starting 15.
Murray is a world class player, but his form in a struggling Munster side is questionable. Jackson is the big question. There's been no point in his career where he's been ahead of Sexton but he's been playing some great stuff with Ulster this year and in my opinion has all the traits and maturity of an international ten.
Marshall has had a good run of form recently. Some will question if he's up to this level, but at the very least he's a line breaker. Henshaw is highly rated here at 12, 13 and 15, and although he's played a lot of his international games at 12, he's more than ready for this game.
Earls in my opinion is one of the few guys who can make something from nothing and put in a great defensive shift during the 6N despite his perceived defensive frailties which are only valid when he's played out of position at 13. Trimble I think is over the hill and not in any particularly great form. That said no one is more seasoned than Trimble and he's a bit of a warrior. Payne at 15 is something a lot of Irish fans are excited for. He's been picked at 13 because while he's not particularly impressive as an attacker from 13 he marshalls the defence very well. At 15 he's a great attacker and has a great rugby IQ for Ulster. Real point of interest for us.
The bench is pretty ok. Cronin and Dillane are both great carriers and the definition of impact subs. Dillane in particular is a beast and he isn't starting simply because Toner is needed to run the set piece. Bealham interestingly is mainly a TH but was brought as our LH replacement because the alternatives aren't trusted. Ruddock a great carrier too. Marmion is quite snappy and likes to play flowing rugby but isn't wonderfully well rounded. His box kicking has really held him back from earning caps. Madigan has had a horrible run of form and probably has one foot in France already. For this reason Jackson simply can't be a bust. I love Gilroy as a running player but he has weaknesses for sure

Latest posts