• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Argentina vs. England (1st Test) (10/06/2017)

I can't help myself, explain this one to me, please: you ALREADY have penalty advantage, under the posts, which means you have 3 points guaranteed. What kind of a mental hospital should you be admitted into if you decide to take a drop goal after that? Seriously, i do not get it. People applauding it... don't even get me started.
If you have 3 points guaranteed and get a free shot, you take a chance to score MORE than 3 points. This is not rocket science. It shouldn't take a neurosurgeon nor a NASA engineer to grasp this.
We are talking about a 34 yo player with several world cups under his belt, who cannot understand elementary maths.

I can't help myself, explain this one to me, please: you ALREADY have penalty advantage, under the posts, which means you have 3 points guaranteed. What kind of a mental hospital should you be admitted into if you decide to take a drop goal after that? Seriously, i do not get it. People applauding it... don't even get me started.
If you have 3 points guaranteed and get a free shot, you take a chance to score MORE than 3 points. This is not rocket science. It shouldn't take a neurosurgeon nor a NASA engineer to grasp this.
We are talking about a 34 yo player with several world cups under his belt, who cannot understand elementary maths.
Agreed, it was an easy penalty attempt, were I a coach I'd drill my team that in that case you out the ball up high and wide, to come down on the try line, 10m infield. Penalty advantage between the 15m lines and i side the 22 => run to the corner and challenge for the ball, at worst it's 50:50 for a try, with 3 points if you fail.

Still not sold on Francis as a 10.

He is a 12 that can at times play 10.

Agree with this. Sadly however I can't see him being used as anything other than a 10 at Saints. Could be the answer to our 12 conundrum but probably won't get the opportunity now.

Always the same. I'm tired of this sh.t. By the way is the fuc...ing ICBC cup.

Last edited:

In fairness a draw was no use to Argentina and the penalty was far enough out that it'd be a 80% shot. If it was a low scoring game or he had confidence in his defence then a drop goal is not insane. However, in a complete shootout like that it was breathtakingly mad. Very disappointing from a man who is in the squad because of his maturity and supposed intelligence.

Very sloppy at times, defence looked completely at sea compared to how well drilled the Lions were against the Crusaders. Hartley really offers nothing any more in set piece or open field play, I cannot find a single reason to keep him beyond "experience". Good signs in attack though and Curry once again showing he is the real deal. Wilson also had a good game.

Very sloppy at times, defence looked completely at sea compared to how well drilled the Lions were against the Crusaders. Hartley really offers nothing any more in set piece or open field play, I cannot find a single reason to keep him beyond "experience". Good signs in attack though and Curry once again showing he is the real deal. Wilson also had a good game.
Completely agree on Hartley. Farrell is ready for the captaincy and there are at least 3 English hookers that are far better players than Hartley is. George has shown to be the real deal and both LCD and Taylor have been in outstanding form for their clubs. I don't think there's a single Hartley performance under EJ's reign that can be described as anything other than "meh." the gap between his form and George, LCD and Taylor's is pretty huge and this point as is only going to grow.

Posts on Ford re: playing without Farrell are kind of missing the point IMO. This is how Ford played in the autumn, except the pace of the game suited him and he put in a strong kicking performance.

Lozowski is Farrell lite. Jones hasn't changed the overall structure at all.

The born and bred Kiwi boy Solomona scores the winner for England.
He is congratulated by their Kiwi captain...
I'm just sayin'...
:p:p:po_O

What a fantastic match! I cannot remember enjoying a game as much as that one in a long while.

Particular credit to the Pumas who, if it weren't for a crazy piece of game management judgement in the final minutes, would have won. There were periods in the second half where their flare and strength (quick hands in the offload, running lines, forward strength, quick feet) reminded me of the great French sides of the past.

My MoTM was Tom Curry who was immense, closely followed by Henry Slade.

Denny solomona...drops of tackles and slips causing 2 tries in defence....then bumps off and runs past 3 players to win tje game in the last min i think he'searned another chance. Great game enjoyed it want to see francais slade im next text

Tom curry had a great game. Whats going with england we have players like ben and tom curry at 18 and even the senior members of the first team say ford farrell are like 24 25. Soon the new lads the currys , underhill. And if watson goes FB then players like robshaw, hask and brown will be slowly pushed out and have a strong team with an average age of sub 24. That can beat most teams in the world.

Denny needs to improve defence if he can he can be agreat play and so can earle. Cant wait to see what happens

Cracking game last night. Slade did nothing then did something just brilliant. The Matt Le Tissier of English rugby. Pure filth!

May and Brown are best of friends again.

We looked ok all over the park, defensively and line speed was pretty average esp in the first half, and some individual mistakes cost us a couple of tries in the 2nd. Ford my MOTM followed by Wilson and Launch. Curry looked decent but I need to watch the game back to see if he was a nuisance at the breakdown, thought he looked a little lightweight but I'm probably wrong. Would like to see Underhill and the other Curry get a run out next week.

Great game to watch that!

Spectacular game and good occasion especially for England to try some new players at test level but it was a fest of mistakes in defense which gave away plenty fo tries to both squads.

Sounds like it was a really fun game, unfortunately had to miss it. Does anyone know anywhere where I can watch the full match? I'm abroad at the moment and don't have access to iplayer :(

Latest posts