• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Canada vs. Romania (17/06/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Canada.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Romania.png

Venue: Ellerslie Rugby Park
Time: 23:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Completely depends on squad selection by Anscombe. A full strength Canada can compete strongly here, but Romania would be my slight favourites even then.

Also interesting to see what side Lynn Howells will select, I expect him to give some chances to younger players.

Canadian lineup. Stronger side than against Georgia but still not quite full strength I don't think?

1. Anthony Luca – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Burnaby, BC

2. Ray Barkwill – (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

3. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

4. Brett Beukeboom, co-captain – (Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON

5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

6. Tyler Ardron – (Chiefs/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON

7. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC

8. Aaron Carpenter – (Doncaster Knights/Ontario Blues) Brantford, ON

9. Gordon McRorie – (UBC Old Boys Ravens/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

10. Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

11. Sean Duke – (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

12. Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

13. Conor Trainor – (USON Nevers/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

14. DTH van Der Merwe, co-captain – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC

15. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

16. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC

17. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

18. Ryan Ackerman – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Saskatoon, SK

19. Conor Keys – (UVIC Vikes/Atlantic Rock) Stittsville, ON

20. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI

21. Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

22. Shane O'Leary – (Unattached) Cork, Ireland

23. Andrew Coe – (UBC Thunderbirds/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

Oaks:

1.Ionel Badiu (Carcassonne)
2.Otar Turashvili (Colomiers)
3.Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne)
4.Johannes Van Heerden (Stiinta Baia Mare)
5. Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)
6. Vlad Nistor(Albi)
7.Viorel Lucaci (Steaua Bucuresti)
8.Mihai Macovei (C) (Colomiers)
9.Florin Surugiu (Steaua Bucuresti)
10.Florin Vlaicu (Steaua Bucuresti)
11. Ionut Dumitru (Steaua Bucuresti)
12.Sione Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)
13.Paula Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti)
14.Fonovai Tangimana (Timisoara Saracens)
15. Luke Samoa (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Subs
16. Constantin Pristavita (Stiinta Baia Mare)
17. Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)
18.Alexandru Tarus(Sale Sharks)
19. Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
20. Andrei Gorcioaia (Valence D'Agen)
21.Tudorel Bratu (Dinamo Bucuresti)
22. Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
23. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

Good first 10 from Canada who should have scored more than just 3 points. What an amazing effort from Van der Merwe, so unlucky in the end though. Great try from Romania and some crazy pace from the second row to set it up. Romania's pack is clearly that bit stronger and should ultimately win them the game.

That being said though, Canada do look threatening going forward and 7-6 down after 23 mins isn't bad at all

Ludicrous first half really. First the microphone and sound system dies for the Canadian anthem, so everyone just drones along while the Canadian hooker laughs his head off.

Then the microphones for linesmen and TMOs dies, leading to a near ten minute delay to decide whether to send off the Romanian hooker for a punch as the refs all pass around a mobile phone to try and get in touch with the TMO.

Canada should have this with the extra man in the second half, but it's not a great advert for the sport. Some real animosity on the field spilling over into the crowd with the constant rival chanting of country names regardless of what is happening on the pitch!

Oh well, almost worth watching for a great Romanian try with back to back awesome offloads. Lynn Howells did great to organise them with 14 men and they completely outplay Canada in the second half.

Good decision to keep a pacey winger as Dumitru and pull out a backrow. Impressive how Romanian scrum kept its composure with 7 players at some point. Great to have a winger as Tangimana who can really help as a thirdrow when needed.

Oaks made the match harder themselves, Turashvili red card was deserved for a really stupid gesture. However, Canadians keep provoking and their frustration was obvious and this was one of the points where they lost the match.

The broadcast was awful, surely Canada can do better than that.

Canadian rugby looks like it is on its death bed both on and off the field. If they don't get a side in the new US professional league I think their future as a Tier 3 nation may be assured. The glimmer of hope is that their under-20s did well recently against the US.

I wouldn't bet too much on U20 performance as an indicator for Senior sides, especially for T2 counties, can be big discrepancies between results.

I wouldn't bet too much on U20 performance as an indicator for Senior sides, especially for T2 counties, can be big discrepancies between results.

No, I am the same. But when you are in a deep hole like Canada on and off the field I think they'll cling to anything they can. I struggle to think of an international side who has fallen so steeply. I could imagine then falling behind Germany, Brazil and maybe even Chile in the next couple of years if they don't find some kind of a solution to stop the rot.

With all that said that was still a handy performance by Romania given the circumstances. I hope at least one young back gets an outing against Brazil. There are precious few opportunities to give young players international experience in an environment where little is at stake.

Finally some highlights:

I looked trough Canadian young forwards and they seem to have some talent coming like that young prop from Pau. It is not such a bad team but I think they need to pay more XV and less 7s.

That double offload for the first try of the second half is still as sweet second time around.

The positive side for Canada is their sevens team.

If there is a positive regarding XV than WR should let them stick with Sevens and play T3 opponents at XV and let Romania play T1 from time to time (Romania didn't played T1 outside RWC since 2006).

Latest posts