• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Canada vs. USA (24/06/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Canada.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
United%20States.png

Venue: 21:00
Time: Tim Hortons Field CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Note this match is part of RWC qualifying for the Americas. Return leg to follow.

RWC qualifying for Africa also resumes this weekend with the Africa Gold Cup

Conor Trainor injured for Canada (Achilles). They have an okay first XV but absolutely no depth. One or two injuries like that are enough to sink them.

A couple of weeks ago I thought this would be too close to call, despite the disparity in rankings. But Canada have offered nothing in the past fortnight. I expect the US to gain a narrow victory in Canada and win comfortably on the return leg.

USA

1. Tony Purpura
2. James Hilterbrand
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Ben Landry
5. Nick Civetta
6. Todd Clever (C)
7. John Quill
8. Cam Dolan
9. Nate Augspurger
10. AJ MacGinty
11. Matai Leuta
12. Marcel Brache
13. Bryce Campbell
14. Ryan Matyas
15. Mike Te'o

Bench
16. Peter Malcolm
17. Ben Tarr
18. Dino Waldren
19. Matthew Jensen
20. David Tameilau
21. Andrew Durutalo
22. Shaun Davies
23. Ben Cima

Canada

1. Djustice Sears-Duru
2. Ray Barkwill
3. Jake Ilnicki
4. Brett Beukeboom (C)
5. Evan Olmstead
6. Admir Cejvanovic
7. Matt Heaton
8. Tyler Ardron
9. Phil Mack
10. Shane O'Leary
11. Taylor Paris
12. Connor Braid
13. DTH van der Merwe
14. Andrew Coe
15. Ciaran Hearn

Bench
16. Benoit Piffero
17. Anthony Luca
18. Matt Tierney
19. Kyle Baillie
20. Aaron Carpenter
21. Gordon McRorie
22. Nick Blevins
23. Dan Moor

Canada get off to a flyer with a nice move ended by DTH. They immediately blow the restart wtih a botched catch by Braid and gift the US a try and start to look shakey. 7-7.

Canada dominant but US score in pretty much their only three visits inside the 22.

15-21 to the US at the half (I think).

An absolutely pulsating contest. The first leg of RWC qualification ends 28-28. US with home field next week. Canada the superior team but shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, including an outrageously bad knock-on as part of a tryline celebration. Far too close to call in the return leg, but Canada are not out of this (which I might have assumed they would be with such a scoreline).

And so endeth another hugely entertaining day for a rugby obsessive. For the sake of my life I'm glad there is nothing more until the Rugby Championship!

What was it today Bruce? Fiji-Scotland followed by Japan-Ireland followed by All Blacks-Lions followed by Romania-Brazil followed by Kenya-Uganda followed by Argentina-Georgia? Or did you give the Romania game a miss?
Just kidding but there was plenty to watch and follow today!

What was it today Bruce? Fiji-Scotland followed by Japan-Ireland followed by All Blacks-Lions followed by Romania-Brazil followed by Kenya-Uganda followed by Argentina-Georgia? Or did you give the Romania game a miss?
Just kidding but there was plenty to watch and follow today!

I got up for the second half of Italy vs Australia (which in itself was a shocking lack of dedication on my part) and I would never miss a Romania game now, they have become my favourite European Tier 2 side. And you missed out South Africa vs France (frankly, I could have done with missing that too, worst game of the day by a mile). Discovering the entertainment of the African Gold Cup may be the end of me! Damn you live streaming! :D

I'm not far behind you Bruce. Last weekend I watched Australia vs. Scotland, followed by the Lions, then South Africa vs. France and then Argentina vs. England on Saturday and the U20 final on Sunday.

This weekend it was just Australia vs. Italy, the Lions and South Africa vs. France.

Just watched the highlights - DTH is a class apart at that level. US right winger looks decent.

Last edited:
qualified for world cup and we have finally gotten rid of todd clever

it's a great day for america everyone

And the US Eagles finally beat Canada when it matters (during the RWCQ).
It seem that that yellow card proven to be really costly. Although I actually don't think that there were to much hopes for Canada before it.
Congrats Eagles!!

A real shame that the only Canadian backs that seem familiar with a rugby ball (Paris and DTH) were announced injured just before the game. They had very little ability in the backs without them.

If they are both fit they will be slight favourites against Uruguay in the Americas 2 playoff. But Canada without them have very little to offer international rugby at the moment.

Latest posts