• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Japan vs. Ireland (24/06/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Japan.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Ireland.png

Venue: Ajinomoto Stadium
Time: 07:40 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I have a sense this will be an ambush compared to last week. Japan to lead at half time, but Ireland to recover to a 14 point lead after the benches are emptied.

I don't know how Joseph can turn this around. I fear Japan's strong finish last week was largely just Ireland relaxing. Their defence has been very poor against Romania and Ireland and it is essential they come up with some kind of solution defensively as their number 1 priority.

Le XV de départ japonais:

1-Shintaro Ishihara (Suntory Sungoliath, 5 caps) 2-Yusuke Niwai (Sunwolves, 2 caps) 3-Takuma Asahara (Sunwolves, 7 caps) 4-Luke Thompson (Kintetsu Liners, 63 caps) 5-Uwe Helu (Sunwolves, 5 caps) 6-(c) Michael Leitch (Chiefs, 49 caps) 7-Shuhei Matsuhashi (Sunwolves, 7 caps) 8-Amanaki Lelei Mafi (Rebels, 15 caps) 9-Yutaka Nagare (Sunwolves, 5 caps) 10-Jumpei Ogura (Sunwolves, 3 caps) 11-Kenki Fukuoka (Sunwolves, 21 caps) 12-Yu Tamura (Sunwolves, 44 caps) 13-Kotaro Matsushima (Sunwolves, 24 caps) 14-Akihito Yamada (Panasonic Wild Knights, 22 caps) 15-Ryuji Noguchi (Tokai Univ., 10 caps)

Remplaçants:

16-Shota Horie (Sunwolves, 51 caps) 17-Keita Inagaki (Sunwolves, 15 caps) 18-Takayuki Watanabe (Kobelco Steelers, 9 caps) 19-Kotaro Yatabe (Sunwolves, 14 caps) 20-Yoshitaka Tokunaga (Sunwolves, 6 caps) 21-Fumiaki Tanaka (Sunwolves, 60 caps) 22-Rikiya Matsuda (Panasonic Wild Knights, 8 caps) 23-Ryohei Yamanaka (Sunwolves, 10 caps)

Ireland: (15-9) A Conway; K Earls, G Ringrose, L Marshall, J Stockdale; P Jackson, K Marmion; (1-8) C Healy, J Tracy, J Ryan, K Treadwell, D Toner, R Ruddock (capt), J Conan, J van der Flier.

Replacements: (16-23) N Scannell, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, J Ryan, S Reidy; J Cooney, R Scannell, T O'Halloran

Nice mix and rotation by Schmidt who has played a blinder this summer.

Strong selection.

Slightly surprised that Andrew Porter is on the bench ahead of Finlay Bealham for the second time this summer. Bealham has become a very good player and is still quite young for a tighthead so Porter must be massively rated.

Also a little surprised that Niall Scannell doesn't start again. He should be pushing Rory Best hard next year and could do with as many starts as possible.

Really happy with the decision at second row to start Kieran Treadwell and give James Ryan another shot off the bench. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Treadwell, Ryan, Iain Henderson and Ultan Dillane will all have pushed ahead of Devin Toner before the end of next season. That said, I'd delighted for Toner in winning his 50th cap. It's a hell of an achievement in a position where Ireland were so strong for most of his pro career.

Hope Luke Marshall goes well alongside his Ulster teammate Paddy Jackson. He's massively talented but his Ireland career has never really taken off.

Zebo got what? 65 mins this summer? Looks ominous for him.

Not as ominous as for TOH. His face obviously doesn't fit at the moment.

A lot of changes for Japan. Yamada strengthens the side but Matsushima again moved (now to 13 where he is surely too lightweight), Tamura to 12 (dont like that) and Tanaka and Horie on the bench.

Tough job for Joseph to choose to experiment against the No.3 side in the world. He has said since day 1 he doesn't care about results or rankings. His only goal is performance at the RWC and he is obviously prepared to be radical in his selections. I hope this stays respectable.

Strong selection.

Slightly surprised that Andrew Porter is on the bench ahead of Finlay Bealham for the second time this summer. Bealham has become a very good player and is still quite young for a tighthead so Porter must be massively rated.

Also a little surprised that Niall Scannell doesn't start again. He should be pushing Rory Best hard next year and could do with as many starts as possible.

Really happy with the decision at second row to start Kieran Treadwell and give James Ryan another shot off the bench. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Treadwell, Ryan, Iain Henderson and Ultan Dillane will all have pushed ahead of Devin Toner before the end of next season. That said, I'd delighted for Toner in winning his 50th cap. It's a hell of an achievement in a position where Ireland were so strong for most of his pro career.

Hope Luke Marshall goes well alongside his Ulster teammate Paddy Jackson. He's massively talented but his Ireland career has never really taken off.
Agreed with most here Snoop.

I think Niall is on bench as he has a massive amount of minutes done this year and well I don't think he was wver going to start all 3 tests. Toner will feel pressure after poor finish to season but equally I think Dillane has stalled this season so hope he can get back on it.

Le XV de départ japonais:

1-Shintaro Ishihara (Suntory Sungoliath, 5 caps) 2-Yusuke Niwai (Sunwolves, 2 caps) 3-Takuma Asahara (Sunwolves, 7 caps) 4-Luke Thompson (Kintetsu Liners, 63 caps) 5-Uwe Helu (Sunwolves, 5 caps) 6-(c) Michael Leitch (Chiefs, 49 caps) 7-Shuhei Matsuhashi (Sunwolves, 7 caps) 8-Amanaki Lelei Mafi (Rebels, 15 caps) 9-Yutaka Nagare (Sunwolves, 5 caps) 10-Jumpei Ogura (Sunwolves, 3 caps) 11-Kenki Fukuoka (Sunwolves, 21 caps) 12-Yu Tamura (Sunwolves, 44 caps) 13-Kotaro Matsushima (Sunwolves, 24 caps) 14-Akihito Yamada (Panasonic Wild Knights, 22 caps) 15-Ryuji Noguchi (Tokai Univ., 10 caps)

Remplaçants:

16-Shota Horie (Sunwolves, 51 caps) 17-Keita Inagaki (Sunwolves, 15 caps) 18-Takayuki Watanabe (Kobelco Steelers, 9 caps) 19-Kotaro Yatabe (Sunwolves, 14 caps) 20-Yoshitaka Tokunaga (Sunwolves, 6 caps) 21-Fumiaki Tanaka (Sunwolves, 60 caps) 22-Rikiya Matsuda (Panasonic Wild Knights, 8 caps) 23-Ryohei Yamanaka (Sunwolves, 10 caps)

So the starting XV has 282 caps between them - an average of 18.8 each, and 73% are from Super Rugby. Meanwhile there are 173 caps on the bench - an average of 21.6 each, and 75% are from Super Rugby.

My prediction is already wrong! It's like they're not even trying to win.

Compared to last week:
1 - Inagaki (15 caps) moved to the bench, replacement has just 5 caps (-10)
2 - Horie (51 caps) moved to the bench, replacement has just 2 caps (-49)
3 - Ito (6 caps) is out of the squad, replacement off the bench has 7 caps (+1)
4 - Yatabe (14 caps) moved to the bench to make way for reinforcements to the tune of 63 caps (+49)
7 - Tokunaga (6 caps) moved to the bench, replacement has 7 (+1)
9 - Tanaka (60 caps) moved to the bench, replacement has only 5 (-55)
10/12 - The 12 Lafaele (6 caps) is dropped from the squad. Tamura (44 caps) moves from 10 to 12, the new 10 (3 caps) wasn't in the 23 last week (-3)
13/14 - The 13 Tupou (1 cap) is dropped from the squad. Matsushima (24 caps) moves from 14 to 13, and reinforcements arrive on the wing with 22 caps (+21)

On the bench - Hendrik Tui (40 caps) and Carpenter (1 cap) are dropped, replaced by Watanabe (9 caps) and Yamanaka (10 caps). (-22)

Overall that's 45 caps rotated out of the starting XV, but the bench has been reinforced by 98 caps.

3-14 Ireland lead through 15 minutes but Japan are dominating the breakdown and sending Ireland backwards in almost every tackle. Score doesn't reflect the game so far. Ringrose and van der Flier with the tries.

EDIT - now 3-21. Kieran Marmion with the 3rd try.

Jack Conan is outstanding again. Rhys Ruddock, Paddy Jackson and Luke Marshall are also playing well.

Credit to Japan to keeping this respectable despite all their experimentation. I've only had half an eye on this, but Matsushima looks good at centre and the improved intensity from Japan is good to see. They are still getting pumped at home by some second stringers though.

Some nice play from Japan again, although I didn't like the grubber option there (they seemed quite obsessed with it last week). If you are running through the phases and consistently gaining possession, then why risk a 50/50 situation?

Ireland win by 13-35.

A productive summer for Ireland. With so many front line players on the exhibition tour to New Zealand, it was important to see which players could step up to test level and potentially push the established players. In that regard, I'd say Jacob Stockdale, Luke McGrath, Niall Scannell, John Ryan, James Ryan, Dan Leavy and Jack Conan will be very pleased with the last three weeks. Of the established players, Keith Earls (though quiet today) and Cian Healy showed up strongly.

Others like Dave Heffernan, James Tracy, Andrew Porter, Kieran Treadwell, John Cooney, Rory Scannell and Rory O'Loughlin have now been exposed to a higher level of rugby and will benefit from the experience though I'd say all have a bit of a way to go before knocking on the door of a first choice 23.

I'd add Conway to list too Snoop. Was impressed by him
He wasn't bad. Back three is the area Ireland could do with a shake up and in my opinion, Jacob Stockdale forwarded his position more than Tiernan O'Halloran and Andrew Conway. I thought O'Halloran offered more of a spark in attack than Conway but Conway was more productive in defence. Stockdale was more imposing than both of them.

He wasn't bad. Back three is the area Ireland could do with a shake up and in my opinion, Jacob Stockdale forwarded his position more than Tiernan O'Halloran and Andrew Conway. I thought O'Halloran offered more of a spark in attack than Conway but Conway was more productive in defence. Stockdale was more imposing than both of them.
True but key is hitting form at right time as competition is crazy there and at 6 7 8.

Latest posts