• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Japan vs. Romania (10/06/2017)

Stratila was fantastic at juniors and casually he made good matches at senior level too, however I think he have to improve his tackle and awarness. Nothing wrong with his support running, passing, side stepping or attacking the space. I think he scored a try for Oaks as well at Nations Cup last year.

As for T2 addiction, I preferred to watch Kenya - Germany two weeks ago instead of a Super Rugby match between some Saffa franchises and I didn't regret it...some nice counter-attacks by hosts, good rugby basics from Germans and a win in last minute trough a drop goal.

Solid start by both sides, Romania being strong at the breakdown to deny Japan quick ball but understandably playing a very basic territory and set piece game. I agree with Howells on the tactics, this is not the game to experiment with expansive play. Romanian fullback Stratili had a good debut with only one mistake late on in the half. Don't know if it is humidity or conditioning but a disappointing Japan really came to life in the last 5mins of the half, started getting quick ball and look fairly lethal. Their new fly half Ogura looks like a solid backup to Tamura.

23-9 at the half for Japan

Japan with another early score at the start of the second half and a thrashing looked possible. But Romania have roared back, starting cutting loose in the backs and really looking quite impressive. Glad I got up early for this one. They might even pinch a win!

Yes, I am still optimistic for the sport in Japan. Their fans get so excited with even the hint of a line break and are noisy throughout. It is a tough act for them to follow the English fans who were fantastic at the last RWC despite home team disappointment, but I think the Japanese fans will be up for the challenge.

In terms of Romania, I think there were a lot of positive despite them almost shipping four tries between 32 & 45 mins. For the rest of the match they looked composed, well drilled tactically and defensively sound. Then those flashes of attacking play late on. If they have confidence to do that against Canada it'll be a very interesting match too and I may consider that they have to convince Howells beyond his planned retirement this year. He is having a great 2017 so far.

For Japan, Joseph will be concerned that they lost up front to Romania (who are okay up front, but not stronger than any tier 1 side) and then lost their heads a bit to let Romania back into the match. Between 30 and 55mins though they were clearly a superior side and looked like they could have pulled out a 50 point win.

Ireland are going to be too strong for them on this evidence and should win by 20 points or so, even with their reserves.

it wasn't such a bad test for Oaks and certainly was very useful. We didn't played abroad from some years, especially in June and they said after the game the humidity was difficult to cope with.

I think the match was won by Japan early mainly because of our fullback who was simply not up to the necessary level for a test match which made other players (e.g Surugiu) to try to cover in his place which left first defensive line without sweeper at times which created one or two tries for Japan. Stratila (21 yo) had some good moments but most of the time he made so many errors that his colleagues lost their confidence and didn't felt secure with him there. I was worried before the game because he was far of the form he showed one year ago and he didn't deserve this chance and imo Simionescu (ex-U20) would have deserved this chance considering his Super Liga matches, imo he's clearly better, or in form, than Stratila now who first have to regain his form. Poor decision by staff, they had few better options there and it was a poor and unjustified decision as they could have picked any other option, a young one as Simionescu or a more experienced player like Conache who won the final of Super Liga for Timisoara.

Second half was much better for Oaks and I do think Japan have to sort their pack because they will be punished by refs vs better teams for their cynical approach, they could have had another yellow. The way they refused to scrum was left unpunished unfortunately. Should Oaks' pack started to bully them from the beginning, the outcome could have been very different and they showed that backline can be dangerous as well.

However, considering that we didn't played abroad in last 9 years (or more I think but 9 Nations Cups) this is a good start against a team not full strength but which felt the need of experienced players from RWC 2015 to be called up.

I thought Stratila showed some potential in a very difficult place to make your debut as such a young man. He can improve at his positioning through coaching. I agree Simionescu can feel unlucky not to have started, he did catch my eye early in the season.

To put this result in context, a slightly weaker Japan XV won in Tbilisi in November. Im not sure Italy would have done much better than Romania today.

He certainly have talent but his current form did not justified a call up, not to speak about a position in starting XV.

I think Oaks could have gain more from this match if they would have been more experienced in this type of tours. I expect an improvement with Canada..

It's likely yes, because Oaks may be considered the easiest opponent for Brave Blossoms in the opening match.

Latest posts