• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Tonga vs. Wales (16/06/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Tonga.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Wales.png

Venue: Eden Park
Time: 07:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Ikale Tahi Squad:

Ben Tameifuna Racing 92

Latu Talakai Waikato

Siegfried Fisi'ihoi Waikato

Sila Puafisi CS Brive

Siua Halanukonuka Highlanders

Sione Lea Taranaki

Paula Ngauamo Mont De Marsan

Suliasi Taufalele Counties Manukau

Dan Faleafa SC ALBI

Leva Fifita Waikato

Steve Mafi Castres

Jack Ram Doncaster Knights

Michael Faleafa Northland

Nili Latu Newcastle Falcons

Sione Tau Agen

Valentino Mapapalangi Leicester Tigers

Leon Fukofuka Crusaders

Sonatane Takulua Lapaha Newcastle Falcons

Kali Hala Counties Manukau

Latiume Fosita Auckland

Siale Piutau Bristol

Tevita Taufui Waikato

Viliami Tahitua Yamaha

'Atieli Pakalani Southern Districts

Cooper Vuna Worcester Warriors

David Halaifonua Gloucester

Nafi Tu'itavake Northampton Saints

Kiti Taimani Vaini Grammar TEC

Extended Training Squad:

Sione Lolohea Sila Pelu Ua

Phil Kite Brisbane NRC

Harrison Mataele North Harbour

Otenili Moala Waikato

Vainanuma Manu Marist Apifo'ou

Sefo Ma'ake Havelu Bulldogs

Tuihakavalu Ika Toloa Old Boys

HI Tautahi. How strong is this lineup compared to the one that did so well in November? The club list looks impressive. If it is the same strength I fancy an upset here with how many Welsh players are unavailable due to the Lions. I don't think the Welsh have the same depth as the Irish and English (except at ten where the Welsh have stupid depth).

HI Tautahi. How strong is this lineup compared to the one that did so well in November? The club list looks impressive. If it is the same strength I fancy an upset here with how many Welsh players are unavailable due to the Lions. I don't think the Welsh have the same depth as the Irish and English (except at ten where the Welsh have stupid depth).

This squad is relatively younger with some nice firepower in the backs, also some good ball runners in foward packs.Nili Latu additon is great for this team. Should be a great game hope for the best

Not really confident for this at all, there is some talent in the Wales squad but also some bang average/poor players too. Also not expecting management to get the most out of them.

Not really confident for this at all, there is some talent in the Wales squad but also some bang average/poor players too. Also not expecting management to get the most out of them.

I completely forgot about that factor. Who is coaching Wales for this?

McBryde, which is awful for us. He's worse than Howley as head coach.....

I'm also expecting Wales to struggle. Up front, we're lacking a little physicality, especially with Rob Evans, Jake Ball and Samson Lee ruled out. We'll now have an average scrummaging front-row, with an inexperienced second row. We're also missing a genuine 8, so we'll lack some carrying power there. Our loose forwards should be excellent though, and the pack as a whole will be super mobile (especially if Shingler is considered at lock).

Our backline should be brimming with pace and skill (Jamie Roberts aside). I hope we can generate some clean ball, because the likes of Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Scott Williams, Keelan Giles, Steff Evans and Patchell (who'll likely play at fullback) could cause havoc out there.

The inexperience is going to be difficult to overcome, especially in the tight 5; whilst the team as a whole might struggle to gel, with a few trying a little too hard and coming unstuck.

With all the talk about how one dimensional Wales back line usually is, they could pick one containing a lot of speed, great footwork and hands. I doubt they would play like that though, especially since the two coaches I was looking forward to going have pulled out. I agree with the tight 5, Wales have serious issues there. The first choice team team can struggle upfront so a 2nd string with injuries will probably get mullerd and just hoping that the promising back rowers can keep us in there. This would be my team, I know it will be inexperienced and they might lose but the youngsters needed to be blooded and if not now, when?
Smith Elias Francis
Hill Shingler
Griffiths Navidi Young
G Davies S Davies
O Williams S Williams
Giles Patchell Evans

Dacey, Rhodri Jones, Wyn Jones, Thornton, King, A Davies, Morgan, Cuthbert (literally nobody else)

The bench is downright shocking, the tight 5 not exactly the best, Williams is not a 13 but has played there and the only 6 in the squad is at lock. But if that team went out to play an wide, quick, expansive game I think they could have a chance. I know Roberts is going to start and if Anscombe starts ahead of Davies at 10 or Patchel at 10, I'm going to come on here and complain. :p Massive waste of a dual contract. If they were going to give it to a NZ, I'd rather it go to Halaholo as he's a talent at 13 where we don't have much.

A better selection of backs available for Wales than I thought. Is this being shown on BBC Wales on Friday morning? Considering a late start at work.

There's some talented players but you know full well that Roberts, Cuthbert and Anscombe will start. It's on SKY and S4C which I assume will be Welsh language only.

Called it, Wales team below

Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (capt, Harlequins), Steffan Evans (Scarlets); Sam Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Nicky Smith (Ospreys) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets,), Thomas Young (Wasps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Cory Allen (Ospreys).

Cooper Vuna is listed as playing for Tonga, but hasn't he already got caps for Australia? How does that work.

Ikale Tahi Squad vs Wales

1) Latu Talakai
2) Paula Ngauamo
3) Ben Tameifuna
4) Leva Fifita
5) Steve Mafi
6) Dan Faleafa
7) Nili Latu
8) Valentino Mapapalangi
9) Tane Takulua
10) Latiume Fosita
11) Cooper Vuna
12) Vili Tahitua
13) Siale Piutau ( C )
14) Nafi Tuitavake
15) Dave Halaifonua
16) Suliasi Taufalele
17) Sila Puafisi
18) Phil Kite
19) Sione Tau
20) Mike Faleafa
21) Leon Fukofuka
22) Kali Hala
23) Kiti Taimani

This is our best squad available.This will both be Talakai and Tameifuna first test. Reliable Steve Mafi will be in the secondrow. Veteran Nili Latu leading the backrow from the openside. I like that Valentino Mapapalangi has got the go head at 8 exciting young prospect real athletic loves to run with ball and fearless defender. The backline look good centres look solid, also the wingers Vuna and Tu'itavake and David Halaifonua the Hitman from the back.

Cooper Vuna is listed as playing for Tonga, but hasn't he already got caps for Australia? How does that work.
He went through the loophole alredy played sevens for us in Monaco.

1) Latu Talakai
2) Paula Ngauamo
3) Ben Tameifuna
4) Leva Fifita
5) Steve Mafi
6) Dan Faleafa
7) Nili Latu
8) Valentino Mapapalangi
9) Tane Takulua
10) Latiume Fosita
11) Cooper Vuna
12) Vili Tahitua
13) Siale Piutau ( C )
14) Nafi Tuitavake
15) Dave Halaifonua
16) Suliasi Taufalele
17) Sila Puafisi
18) Phil Kite
19) Sione Tau
20) Mike Faleafa
21) Leon Fukofuka
22) Kali Hala
23) Kiti Taimani

This is our best squad available.This will both be Talakai and Tameifuna first test. Reliable Steve Mafi will be in the secondrow. Veteran Nili Latu leading the backrow from the openside. I like that Valentino Mapapalangi has got the go head at 8 exciting young prospect real athletic loves to run with ball and fearless defender. The backline look good centres look solid, also the wingers Vuna and Tu'itavake and David Halaifonua the Hitman from the back.
outou mama na!! will be supporting the Tongan usos. Hopefully Pacific Rugby will grow in leaps and bounds.

1) Latu Talakai
2) Paula Ngauamo
3) Ben Tameifuna
4) Leva Fifita
5) Steve Mafi
6) Dan Faleafa
7) Nili Latu
8) Valentino Mapapalangi
9) Tane Takulua
10) Latiume Fosita
11) Cooper Vuna
12) Vili Tahitua
13) Siale Piutau ( C )
14) Nafi Tuitavake
15) Dave Halaifonua
16) Suliasi Taufalele
17) Sila Puafisi
18) Phil Kite
19) Sione Tau
20) Mike Faleafa
21) Leon Fukofuka
22) Kali Hala
23) Kiti Taimani

Tigers being linked to Mapapalangi form what I gather he is on trial with us and a lot could depend on his Tongan Perfomances.

Hopefully he will be like another Mafi for us if he gets signed.

Just had a look and incredibly Wales are 1/14 on from Bet365. I've just put £5 on for Tonga at 7/1.

Latest posts