• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: Chiefs vs. Wales (14/06/2016)

"I'd, personally, like to see England respond to the Haka with a volley from a company of long bowmen."

I take offense at that, as the long bowmen were usually Welsh!

(thought I'd throw yet another tangent for people to go off on)

PS. I'm trying not to mention the shambles that was the game!

"I'd, personally, like to see England respond to the Haka with a volley from a company of long bowmen."

(thought I'd throw yet another tangent for people to go off on)

PS. I'm trying not to mention the shambles that was the game!

Actually they were mostly English :p

From what I gather the Welsh were the first to properly utilise the longbow but the English perfected it and made it famous and feared.
Even if we didn't we own Wales so it's ours anyway.

Since someone brought up the haka - and I fancy an argument - I'm really not sure a haka like that is appropriate at all to be honest.

For a starter I realize that Dave Rennie has really pushed a strong emphasis on Maori culture with the Chiefs; but as I feel with the Vodafone Warriors doing the haka - it's just not appropriate for a franchise to do it before a game. I spent the whole haka captivated on Yama****a - the Japanese prop - and what he must have been thinking when they spend several hours practicing for a haka against Wales. He probably was totally alright with it, but I don't feel it's appropriate to force that onto others.

Secondly - in the same way that I think 80,000 people in Twikenham singing over the haka is boorish behavior, so is having six or so additional dudes on the field with Taiaha. For me we're just going way over the top lately starting during the 2011 RWC. I get sick of reading Stephen Jones BS articles about Maori war dances and unfair advantages - but stuff like this just doesn't really aid our cause.

Also I think our forum is a bit racist, considering it wont let me type the name of the Japanese prop for the Chiefs...

From what I gather the Welsh were the first to properly utilise the longbow but the English perfected it and made it famous and feared.
Even if we didn't we own Wales so it's ours anyway.
Isn't the long bow pretty ubiquitous? From memory the Qin forces of the Chinese warring states period were noted for their effective and devastating mass use of a Chinese form of longbow that goes back to about 500 BC.

Either way though - I'd love to see the English players try that on the All Blacks. Be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Isn't the long bow pretty ubiquitous? From memory the Qin forces of the Chinese warring states period were noted for their effective and devastating mass use of a Chinese form of longbow that goes back to about 500 BC.

Either way though - I'd love to see the English players try that on the All Blacks. Be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Damn man how old are you?

Nah the English should Morris dance, that **** would terrify anyone. Anyone with photoshop skills that can make this a reality?

But the difference is practice. The English are famed for practising on their bent wood for hours and hours.

No one's saying it's racist, what people are saying is that you took it way too personally when no personal comments were made, and escalated the situation.

We'll draw a line under it here, and get back to discussing the Chiefs vs Wales game in 3....2....1....here:

Actually!!

This whole "it was banter" defence to cover up casual racism/ignorant comments doesn't wash either. It's just excuse to say it and then distance yourself from it.

Moving on...

Since someone brought up the haka - and I fancy an argument - I'm really not sure a haka like that is appropriate at all to be honest.

For a starter I realize that Dave Rennie has really pushed a strong emphasis on Maori culture with the Chiefs; but as I feel with the Vodafone Warriors doing the haka - it's just not appropriate for a franchise to do it before a game. I spent the whole haka captivated on Yama****a - the Japanese prop - and what he must have been thinking when they spend several hours practicing for a haka against Wales. He probably was totally alright with it, but I don't feel it's appropriate to force that onto others.

Secondly - in the same way that I think 80,000 people in Twikenham singing over the haka is boorish behavior, so is having six or so additional dudes on the field with Taiaha. For me we're just going way over the top lately starting during the 2011 RWC. I get sick of reading Stephen Jones BS articles about Maori war dances and unfair advantages - but stuff like this just doesn't really aid our cause.

Also I think our forum is a bit racist, considering it wont let me type the name of the Japanese prop for the Chiefs...

I can virtually guarantee you're an upper class white male.

Arise Sir Beaver of Waiuku

some interesting praise from Dave Renee. Get the feeling we may see More of Stephen Donald and some of the other less used chiefs who starred in last nights game.

Dont know what to say about the haka issue other than get over it. Accept it, its meant as an honor. The Haka is part of NZ tradition and here its become a part of rugby culture in NZ as well, teams do it through age group and school levels. The chiefs did it to mark this game as a special occasion to honor the visiting welsh team. And I recon the welsh players understand and appreciate that as well.

doglaugh.gif

Talk about jumping on the "I'm offended" bandwagon like nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry in todays society. If you think making remarks like "beers, pies and kebabs" is racist, then you must be fun at parties.

Nah I'm just sick of this it's banter defence that creeps into society now to justify ignorant/ verging on racist comments.. You know what you said and coming back with oh it was all in jest and banter and blaming me fo having a sense of humour failure is frankly ******. You want to defend the Haka because you want to explain why in Maori culture they have those who use spears etc is the norm is fine, but there was just no need to point score in return. That was my point.

Ohh wow, mad 'Guess Who' skills. Two out of three.

You are far harder to speculate on Ka Mate.

At least he called you an "upper class white male" and not a "F"""ing white male"....

http://i.imgur.com/qCdjYCt.jpg

You never know these days TRF nicknz. Theres a crap load of white guilt floating around these days the complete and utter disgrace to humanity in the pic above is a good example.

If any of you follow the US political race and go on bodybuilding misc you'll know about the above... Just LOL.

Last edited:
forget that crap, more respect for Beaver needed in this thread. Bloody hell he was good. Watching a replay and just before half time the chiefs are on defense, the defensive line is set, Beaver looks over the ruck and sees a hole in the chiefs defensive line on the far side of the field shouts for someone to fill it. No one hears him so he sprints behind the line predicting play will go that way and makes a textbook tackle intercepting the welsh attacker just as he runs straight through that gap. Don't see plays like that very often.

Nah I'm just sick of this it's banter defence that creeps into society now to justify ignorant/ verging on racist comments.. You know what you said and coming back with oh it was all in jest and banter and blaming me fo having a sense of humour failure is frankly ******. You want to defend the Haka because you want to explain why in Maori culture they have those who use spears etc is the norm is fine, but there was just no need to point score in return. That was my point.

Oh shush. The cultural ignorance and unappreciative attitudes in this thread are far more racist than a few comments about beers and kebabs. Get a life. Some of you might disguise it, but it's pretty obvious your disdain towards the Haka, all comments from predominantly white men who couldn't give a crap about the Maori culture.

I'm certain Nick lives out off the country and never experienced NZ high school rugby if he has that ignominious view of a proud aspect of our culture.

Last edited:
The only reason people get upset about the All Blacks haka is because the All Blacks destroy all opposition. If the ALL Blacks didnt win so much it wouldnt be much of an issues. People always find ways to try and pick apart the best of the best.

Also look at NZ greatest rivals South Africa, they play the hardest and most violent football against each other but always the South Africans have showed nothing but respect towards the ABs. We both embrace each-others rugby culture knowing we reflect what makes each other so proud in our rugby heritage. After every game we enter the others sheds and share a beer. We know politics is effecting SA rugby but forever and a day we will respect them as our greatest adversary and that means when we see their green jersey we expect nothing but a hell of a battle to commence and our brotherhood of pride to continue to flourish.

This is what true rugby heart and culture is about. If the European nations ever want to get even halfway closer to the All Blacks they should embrace the passion and the culture and create their legend to match it. This is why NZ rugby is eternally strong - we are the fabric of rugby, we are the fabric of its culture. We embrace it and we love our adversary's like no-other.

Take us on face to face! and draw our blood so we can embrace our identity further.

Latest posts