[TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Blues[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]23[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Mathieu Bastareaud[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]14[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Toulon[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I don't know what to expect for the French starting XV. I think in at least one of the two remaining tests, France should put out as strong a team as possible, without thinking of testing or resting any players. That could be ths Saturday, but after Nyanga, Médard and Michalak playing too many minutes in the last days, and injuries to Bastareaud and Machenaud, maybe some management will be done. However, some of the replacements that we'd like to see have played too much lately as well, with many first-choice missing for the first test and the midweek game. So, unfortunately, I think we will see for both remaining tests sides that will approach to first choice, without being totally so.

I'd like to see: Dulin, Planté, Fritz, Fofana, Huget, Tales, Doussain, Picamoles, Le Roux, Dusautoir, Maestri, Samson, Ducalcon, Szarzewski, Domingo. Bench: Kayser, Ben-Arous, Mas, Vahaamahina, Chouly, Michalak, Fickou, Medard.

And for the third test: Medard, Huget, Bastareaud, Fofana, Andreu, Lopez, Machenaud, Picamoles, Nyanga, Dusautoir, Vahaamahina, Flanquart, Mas, Kayser, Domingo. Bench: Szarzewski, Debaty, Ducalcon, Samson, Claassen, Michalak, Fritz, Nakaitaci.

I agree with yoe that it is time to move on from Mermoz, and PSA said recently (finally) that Michalak nowadays is more adapted to 9, which would mean that we can use his and Doussain's polyfunctionality to free up a spot on the bench.

Last edited:
reaaaaally hope to see Bastareaud at least once in the last 2. Boy can do some big boy carrying...and is dedicated and efficient on defense. A fantastic weapon, no doubt...but would've been extra-interesting to see against the great AB.
This match is either the blowout (for France), or the one we win, according to my crystal ba.....according to my pragmatic reasoning....*cough*

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Ben Franks, Jeremy Thrush, Victor Vito, Piri Weepu, Beauden Barrett, Rene Ranger.

Same XV as the first test. Was hoping to see Ben Smith at fullback and Rene Ranger on the wing with Dagg on the bench:(

Last edited:
I expect a lot more improvement from the All Blacks

you would think that the best chance the french had to beat the All Blacks was the first test and now the AB's have had a game and another whole week together the AB's will be too much.

But the french have a history of defying logic against the All Blacks.

Also a bit disapointed not to see Ranger start. Also a shame TKB lost his bench spot.

Don't like Hore for Mealamu. Kev really settled the lineouts once he got in. Not been impressed with Hore this year at all. Who knows thoguh, might pull a Ma'a.

Hansens a coward, he's still basically using Ted's team.

This is why so many AB's dont step up in super rugby (plenty still do i know)...they dont need to....and why so many guys head over seas....it doesn't matter how hard or well they play you cant work your way in

What is wrong with giving smith and ranger their go with dagg on the bench?

Rant over...looking forward to a game of dagg trying to win it on his own and if he has even one moment of excellence smiths form will be forgotten

What a boring team... Absolutely nothing interesting in there.

I'd expect that in the third game Smith and Ranger will start, with Piutau covering the outside backs from the bench and Dagg dropping out. Likewise Luatua will start with Messam dropping out.

It's incredibly disappointing to see Ben Franks being used as the reserve tight head - what's the point when you have a proper tight head in the squad? Possibly Afeaki will start next week with Franks dropping out.

My expected team for next week:
1 Woodcock
2 Mealamu
3 Afeaki
4 Romano
5 Retallick
6 Luatua
7 Cane
8 Read
9 Weepu
10 Carter
11 Savea
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Ranger
15 Smith

16 Hore
17 Crockett
18 Franks
19 Thrush
20 Vito
21 Kerr-Barlow
22 Barrett
23 Piutau

As it is I'm very disappointed with this week's team.

I think in the first test All Blacks played pretty bad, they could lose the match if not for errors of the French. I think it's time to Rene Ranger in the squad. Ranger currently is playing much better than Ma'a Nonu, he deserves a place in the first squad, it's time to see new faces among the backs.

I don't like Israel Dagg, his game is very low, not even 50% of what it was in 2011. In the near future I would like to see Gareth Anscombe playing fullback in the All Blacks, perhaps for the Rugby Championship this year

Regards

Don't like Hore for Mealamu. Kev really settled the lineouts once he got in. Not been impressed with Hore this year at all. Who knows thoguh, might pull a Ma'a.
Or a left hook.

This is why so many AB's dont step up in super rugby (plenty still do i know)...they dont need to....and why so many guys head over seas....it doesn't matter how hard or well they play you cant work your way in

Rant over...looking forward to a game of dagg trying to win it on his own and if he has even one moment of excellence smiths form will be forgotten
Never!

#BenSmithBrigade

Or a left hook.
lol

I think in the first test All Blacks played pretty bad, they could lose the match if not for errors of the French. I think it's time to Rene Ranger in the squad. Ranger currently is playing much better than Ma'a Nonu, he deserves a place in the first squad, it's time to see new faces among the backs.

I don't like Israel Dagg, his game is very low, not even 50% of what it was in 2011. In the near future I would like to see Gareth Anscombe playing fullback in the All Blacks, perhaps for the Rugby Championship this year

Regards

lol nonu had a brilliant game last week, he absolutely deserves to retain the 12 jersey now. Ranger should be on the Wing and Ben Smith at fullback.

Anscombe is injured, and hasn't got enough experience to be an All Black yet. Think you need to watch some more rugby.

lol nonu had a brilliant game last week, he absolutely deserves to retain the 12 jersey now. Ranger should be on the Wing and Ben Smith at fullback.

Anscombe is injured, and hasn't got enough experience to be an All Black yet. Think you need to watch some more rugby.

Nonu played a good game last week, it's true. But so far this year, you're going to deny that Ranger is having a higher level than Nonu in the Super Rugby?

I know that Gareth is injured (I have him in my Fantasy team and I can't use him for that reason), I would just like to see him with the black jersey in the near future. James O'Connor was very young and didn't have much experience when first played for Australia, I would like Hansen to do the same with Gareth and you who are supporter of Chiefs should support it.

regards

nonu made two significant line breaks but he also missed two tackles one leading to a try.

He was targeted by the french, 8 takles is a lot for him in a game but you have to say that it paid off for the french.

was a pass mark for nonu, though I think Ranger could have done better given the chance. Conrad Smith had a pretty quiet game as well, made tackles but got muscled around a bit overall.

French had a tactic where they were draw the cover to the sideline then have runners available inside that was working well for them. that will surely be something else they will over for this week.

nonu made two significant line breaks but he also missed two tackles one leading to a try.

He was targeted by the french, 8 takles is a lot for him in a game but you have to say that it paid off for the french.

was a pass mark for nonu, though I think Ranger could have done better given the chance. Conrad Smith had a pretty quiet game as well, made tackles but got muscled around a bit overall.

French had a tactic where they were draw the cover to the sideline then have runners available inside that was working well for them. that will surely be something else they will over for this week.
Are you referring to the incident where he was tackled by his own player?

That French tactic is a strike play used by most teams to create space. NZ use it numerous times. Big 12 ruck then strong ball carrying forward then ruck then COnrad Smith going on blind side ruck

I'm okay with the same starting XV to be honest ... those guys need the game time together to cement their combinations, and I'd like to see them secure the series (if possible, it's by no means a forgone conclusion), before they experiment/make changes for the third test.

Jabby, it's a little unfair to say it's still basically Ted's team ... it's really a continuation of Hansen's team from last year, with the A.Smith's, Romano's, Cane's, etc, continuing with the core of the AB's from the RWC - I'm sure that the number of new players will be greater by the next RWC, as they gradually introduce them in the time remaining.

daveypnz, while Ranger had a great game last week when he came on, I can't see a lot of point starting a player who is already lost to NZ Rugby ... maybe start him next week, but I'd rather see Piutau or Saili get a run, as they are at least, viable long term prospects at this stage

... I'd certainly like to Luatua get a run at some stage, but perhaps they'll wait until Ritchie returns, and play him alone side Ritchie and Rea, so the lose trio isn't too green/inexperienced

The thing I love about this game is that it really is unpredictable. I think Cruden at fly half may be the difference in what should be a close game. It will be good to see how he handles the pressure at the end of some really tight test matches, he can really start owning that #10 jersey with some good performances. I think the AIG All Blacks will take this by 1!

I think its a huge error not selecting Ben Smith at 15 and Ranger to start this game. The only way this will be justified is if Dagg has an absolute blinder which i gaurantee he wont.

Im actually thinking france might get up for this one. They are up for this series make no mistake about it. They know full well they could of won that first game.

I can understand when you have a couple of players that dont have much between them but Ben Smith and Ranger are by far the most consistent form players from super rugby selecting Dagg ahead of them is just a slap in the face imo. Ranger should head off overseas I reckon.

Agreed. I wonder how long it will be until Hansen ends up with egg on his face over this? I suspect the NZ public will turn on him pretty quickly if results don't go his way... it was a bit of a roll of the dice on the NZRU's part in this way, as supporters will be even quicker to turn nasty if the All Blacks lose a couple seeing as he was practically assured of the job once Henry left.

Getting back on topic, hoping that Thrush plays well if given the chance this weekend due to Retallick's injury.

Line ups updated into the OP. Happy with the French side, except for Fred at 10. I particularly like that PSA is finally using the fact that Michalak can also play 9, to have an extra back cover in the bench.

Latest posts