• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: New Zealand - France, 2nd test

Yeah, David Kirk didn't tour with the Cavaliers although he was selected along with John Kirwan (but both chose not to tour), so even if you add up your bolded players, they don't make up the bulk of the 1987 RWC All Black squad like you claim.

So just to clarify, prominent players from the RWC: Kirk, Kirwan, Michael Jones, Joe Stanley, John Gallagher, and Sean Fitzpatrick, all did not tour ... I notice that you didn't list the whole RWC squad, which also included players like Zinzan Brooke, who also didn't tour the republic in 1986.

... anyway, it's all irrelevant, because had South Africa been invited to the 1987 RWC, there wouldn't have been one ... I know, as I experienced the division that the 1981 Springbok tour caused first hand, and there's no way that the host countries would have accepted that kind of disruption ever again, and all of the other teams wouldn't have shown up anyway, as they were all boycotting South Africa at the time.

Don't get the relevance of the 1956 series pictures either ... why not the 1937 Springboks?, at least they won the series in New Zealand

Sifplay contributes nothing and appears to be here simply to be a troll and a wum

I have placed him on global ignore

Sifplay contributes nothing and appears to be here simply to be a troll and a wum

Check out the Japan vs. Canada thread he attmepted a joke and it....dosen't even make sense...very odd...I beleive him to be Cave Dweller but others disagree.

Check out the Japan vs. Canada thread he attmepted a joke and it....dosen't even make sense...very odd...I beleive him to be Cave Dweller but others disagree.

I think it is Cave Dweller's friend, but not Cave Dweller himself. He is @thebeardofamla on Twitter.

Cave Dweller was Argentine and posted a lot more, and used to post links to articles in his posts.

Talking of Cave Dweller/Shovenose. Don't you think his ban was a little harsh?

Last edited:
I think it is Cave Dweller's friend, but not Cave Dweller himself. He is @thebeardofamla on Twitter.

Cave Dweller was Argentine and posted a lot more, and used to post links to articles in his posts.

Talking of Cave Dweller/Shovenose. Don't you think his ban was a little harsh?

That Account is suspended on twitter apparently.

Cave Dweller was odd, I enjoyed some of his posts and in some cases he showed good knoweldge, but detested some of his other posts. He tended to hijack threads which got a little annoying. I could have gone either way on him, I'm not overjoyed nor upset he was banned.

"Jaws" is the worst ever member of TRF that I can recall, he was banned within two-three hours I belive and had a nearly full red bar in that time. He was actually(partly) responsible for the closing of the IRB Fan forum back in the mid 2000's as well according to Charles....and he dug up that thread and threatened the forum with "libel" about four years afterword LMAO.

I have seen cases where people accuse someone of trolling simply because their communication style is different (this can often happen in places like this where people from many different cultural backgrounds come together - in fact, I often wonder if everyone gets my sense of humor). Also, people have a different interpretation of 'trolling'. I've never felt that someone who has very strong but opposing viewpoints is a troller, even if he wants to win every argument. I do, however, consider a person who insults, ridicules, or otherwise attacks another poster as a troll. But some people think that someone with strong opposing views is a troll. And sometimes that's because everyone has a different temperament - some folks can handle a debate better than others.

Me? I'm sorta like an over-enthusiastic puppy and would rather lick everyone's faces than bit 'em in the arse. Still, I'm sure with my 'American' style of interacting here I may come across as a bit overbearing (or just weird) at times, so I hope folks will give me a little break. :)

das

Last edited:
I have seen cases where people accuse someone of trolling simply because their communication style is different (this can often happen in places like this where people from many different cultural backgrounds come together - in fact, I often wonder if everyone gets my sense of humor). Also, people have a different interpretation of 'trolling'. I've never felt that someone who has very strong but opposing viewpoints is a troller, even if he wants to win every argument. I do, however, consider a person who insults, ridicules, or otherwise attacks another poster as a troll. But some people think that someone with strong opposing views is a troll. And sometimes that's because everyone has a different temperament - some folks can handle a debate better than others.

Me? I'm sorta like an over-enthusiastic puppy and would rather lick everyone's faces than bit 'em in the arse. Still, I'm sure with my American' style of interacting here I may come across as a bit overbearing (or just weird) at times, so I hope folks will give me a little break. :)

das
I see trolling as dangling an inflammatory comment as bait in order to get a rise (and not in a ball-busting way; for me at least, in order for it to count as ball-busting, it has to be that both parties are involved on it) out of someone.

But someone (say Person #1) trying to get a rise out of someone (Poster #2), then for Poster #2 to take that bait; and Poster #1 suddenly calls them out as being "strung out", "wound up" whatever - is trolling. If you want to say something a certain way (i.e. bring up certain points and leave it at that etc) then that can be counted out as "ball busting" or light heard jibbing; and thus must expect a non-light hearted response.

So opposing views are fine for me; just be sure to stay civil and try not to ascribe certain personal attributes to someone, and we can have a fun, civil debate. :)

On that note, I don't think anyone can see you as a troll or over-the-top/anything like that, das; though I do spend a good amount of my time around 'Murican (EFF YEAH!) posters (Ravens boards, gaming forums etc) so I might be used to it. :p

I see trolling as dangling an inflammatory comment ... bla bla bla

The All Blacks are only as good as they are due to their use of illegal anabolic steroids and should be banned from world rugby. Furthermore Ben Smith is old and should retire along with super cheat Richie McCaw.

*runs away quickly*

:)

On that note, I don't think anyone can see you as a troll or over-the-top/anything like that, das; though I do spend a good amount of my time around 'Murican (EFF YEAH!) posters (Ravens boards, gaming forums etc) so I might be used to it. :p

Oh, I'm no troll. A bit of a doofus, but certainly not a troll. :)

I see trolling as dangling an inflammatory comment as bait in order to get a rise (and not in a ball-busting way; for me at least, in order for it to count as ball-busting, it has to be that both parties are involved on it) out of someone.

The All Blacks are only as good as they are due to their use of illegal anabolic steroids and should be banned from world rugby. Furthermore Ben Smith is old and should retire along with super cheat Richie McCaw.

*runs away quickly*

Now see...I don't consider that sort of thing just trolling, I consider that chumming the water with one's own blood. ;)

das

*runs away quickly*

Oi!
*Grabs pitch fork*

That was way out of line! Next thing you know, you'll be trashing the sweet name of Dorothy Mantooth!

Oh, I'm no troll. A bit of a doofus, but certainly not a troll. :)

Now see...I don't consider that sort of thing just trolling, I consider that chumming the water with one's own blood. ;)

das
:lol:

He's sealed his fate. I will leave it to the rugby Gods to decide what to do with him. (Maybe a Ben Smith triple hat-trick in Super Rugby/TRC? :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
haha my punishment is to play the Ben Smith drinking game for each of the All Blacks test from now on. Every time the commentators mention "Ben Smith" I drink!!

I thought it would be good for a laugh in the highlanders v blues game... I was feeling it during the first 20 minutes :)

I have been saying this for a long long time! I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Hopefully with this consencus the Mods will take the necessary steps...

"Jaws" is the worst ever member of TRF that I can recall, he was banned within two-three hours I belive and had a nearly full red bar in that time.

I banned "Jaws" from my old forum, and he was also was banned from Planet Rugby
wtf.gif

I think all this should be in another thread. But I can now say with the All Blacks reining World Cup holders that the world cup hardly means anything and in fact I think it devalues world rugby as a whole

lets face it it basically comes down to having 2-3 good weeks in 4 years yet it's seen as the most important thing in the sport?! I hate it, basically since the final whistle in 2011 all minds are focused on 2015

Fact is the IRB world rankings show where it's at to be the best you have to show up every weekend every year against the best go into every game to win it and succeed, their only real weakness is the higher weighting for world cup matches which is bull crap and not required. Add to that it's been dominated by the All Blacks for so long but they deserve it - the All Blacks are winning 80-90% of games where the next best teams are only winning ~50-55% of games.

A test match is a test match, and the only way to truly sort out where two teams sit is with a test series they are the lifeblood of the sport the best games in rugby history have been played outside the world cup. IMO the only good thing about World Cups is the chance for smaller nations to take on, scare or even beat more established nations just for the entertainment value. Generally the finals are a bore fest, the referees get stage fright and the rule books get thrown out the window.

/rant off

bring on test 3 !
This! I wouldn't go as far as to say that the WC "devalues" world rugby, nor that the IRB rankings should be given that much importance, but I agree with the rest.

This! I wouldn't go as far as to say that the WC "devalues" world rugby, nor that the IRB rankings should be given that much importance, but I agree with the rest.

I don't think it devalues international rugby in an overall sense, but it DOES devalue tour matches, and international rugby played between the the world cups (not including RC and 6N of course) .

Before the RWC came along, EVERY nation sent their best possible squad on tour, and put their best possible team on the park for the test matches, while using the midweek matches against provincial/club/county/regional teams for player development. The host nation and their provincial teams would always put the best possible team on the park to meet the visitors.

Now, hand on heart, you can't tell me that happens now. Most years, the NH teams that tour South are missing top players. On the rare occasions that there are midweek matches, the home team rarely if ever puts their top team on the park. The Blues team that played France was selected from the wider training squad. For most of them, that was the only game they are likely to play all season. Same applied to the Lions tour; the Aussie Super Rugby teams they play are second. sometimes third string sides. Other examples in recent years have been All Blacks v Munster, Australia v Ospreys and South Africa v Leicester Tigers.

All of this is because all the nations are building and planning for the next Rugby World Cup!

I don't think it devalues international rugby in an overall sense, but it DOES devalue tour matches, and international rugby played between the the world cups (not including RC and 6N of course) .

Before the RWC came along, EVERY nation sent their best possible squad on tour, and put their best possible team on the park for the test matches, while using the midweek matches against provincial/club/county/regional teams for player development. The host nation and their provincial teams would always put the best possible team on the park to meet the visitors.

Now, hand on heart, you can't tell me that happens now. Most years, the NH teams that tour South are missing top players. On the rare occasions that there are midweek matches, the home team rarely if ever puts their top team on the park. The Blues team that played France was selected from the wider training squad. For most of them, that was the only game they are likely to play all season. Same applied to the Lions tour; the Aussie Super Rugby teams they play are second. sometimes third string sides. Other examples in recent years have been All Blacks v Munster, Australia v Ospreys and South Africa v Leicester Tigers.

All of this is because all the nations are building and planning for the next Rugby World Cup!

This!

A coach is usually appointed just after a WC, usually due to the performance of his predecessor. When a coach is appointed, it is made very clear to him, that the goal is to win the next World Cup. with some other checkpoints inbetween like keeping a win record above 50% and so on.

But the main purpose is to win the NEXT World Cup. the Emphasis is on the NEXT one. a coach's lifespan nowadays is maximum 4 years of being in charge of the National team, and then move on, either a successful one or not. When people look back at the coach's performance, a few stellar performances would stand out, but everyone will talk about the time he was in charge during a world cup and how the team did at the WC when he was in charge.

The inbetween tours, up north or down here, doesn't really have such an influence as we might think, unless the team loses every game.

and add that all these midweek (touring) matches takes place when other tournaments are not yet completed - tournaments that means more to the home sides for a variety of reasons
Yet the people in charge will pack as many games in just to make more money

yeah sorry I did not kinda say it right, meant to say the world cups in a way devalue test rugby outside world cups, not international rugby as a whole.

I would like to see the IRB working with unions and SANZAR to structure the game in a way to generally make standard test rugby and test series more meaningful rather than just "world cup practice".

Oi!
He's sealed his fate. I will leave it to the rugby Gods to decide what to do with him. (Maybe a Ben Smith triple hat-trick in Super Rugby/TRC? :p)

...i'm cool with that if everyone else is....<_<

Latest posts