• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals : South Africa A vs. England Saxons [1st Match] (10/06/2016)

Well played Saxons, we were well beaten in the end. The defense of both sides probably needs work though haha.

Haley and Robson def England future at 15 and 9.

Robson prob englands best 9 now anyway, Haley prob another season off.

Lees was a waste of a spot IMO.
100%
Haley and Robson def England future at 15 and 9.

Robson prob englands best 9 now anyway, Haley prob another season off.

I think if Goode doesn't get significant game time this tour then Haley will replace him by the 6N.
Really hope Robson is OK and can play next week.

Wonder if we'll call up any injury replacements - Lewington looks done. Didn't see Roko's injury, but losing two back 3 players isn't great

100%

I think if Goode doesn't get significant game time this tour then Haley will replace him by the 6N.
Really hope Robson is OK and can play next week.

Wonder if we'll call up any injury replacements - Lewington looks done. Didn't see Roko's injury, but losing two back 3 players isn't great

They'll have to if Wade's the only fit winger left. Short for the call up?

Can't believe I missed this game, thought it was on tomorrow. Someone fill me in on performances?

I think I'll keep my comments to the backs; my stream wasn't good enough to comment on areas I know less about.

Robson - should be in Aus; Eddie get's a new EPS in July; Dan HAS to be in there.
Cipriani - did himself a world of good; and put himself about in defence well (not terribly effectively, but it's better than running away). Will still need to get his kicking percentage up though.
Lewington - didn't do much, but didn't get much chance to either; jury remains out on this performance.
Devoto - has what it takes; but can still try to do too much; that'll come with experience.
Thompkins - has what it takes; but too many rookie errors - forgivable as he IS a rookie.
Rokoduguni - should have been starting in Aus; and showed why.
Haley - should make the new EPS, alongside Brown, in place of Goode (harsh given his form over the season; but still too compromised for international rugby; no place in the squad for a back-up who can't sit on the bench).

MYoung - did solidly; a really good example of England's strength in depth; we can put out a 6th choice player who doesn't let anyone down.
James - didn't get enough to show anything much
Wade - I like confirmation bias; it's comfy

Entertaining game. Two scratch sides leaving plenty of space, plenty of talented runners.

Saffas improved when the forwards' benches were emptied for both sides.

Hepburn - Looked like a future international, great appetite, awareness & athleticism
Taylor - Looked like a guy getting more caps but maybe not too many more. How much of the lineout's his fault? Great work rate but a bit military medium in terms of power
Brookes - Jeez. Looks like a guy about to disappear. I'm sure he'll come back as the player he was but until he does, not a hope.
Attwood - Powerful but limited mobility. We now have a lot of power with mobility. Any further caps are due to an injury crisis.
Ewels - Virtually anonymous. Try again kid.
Armand - Fairly anonymous, didn't look outstandingly powerful when there. The AP is probably his ceiling
Kvesic - Curate's egg. Not sure of decision making. Physicality not really questioned. Ability at breakdown definite. Some nice linking. Not sure when happens next.
Jones - See Armand

Robson - Winning comfortably when he was on, lost the bit of the game when he was off comfortably. Not a coincidence. Caps are when, not if.
Cipriani - Like when you're 9 playing football and someone's older brother turns up. Not to badmouth doubleF but his absence from Australia looks odd now. Sorry. Odder.
Lewington - Some nice bits once settled but needs further improvement to collect more than 3 international caps.
Devoto - Curate's egg. Some outstanding bits, some ropey bits. Could be a great gamebreaker in a reliable back line but not sure he's going to be it.
Tompkins - Lot better than I was expecting, could be 3rd in line in a Joseph-Daly style.
Rokoduguni - Should be in contention
Haley - Outstanding. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't become an international

McGuigan - Nuggety but definitely fourth of four on hooker prospect train
Harrison - Disappointing
HCW - Disappointing
Lees - Okay I guess. I think?
Ewers - Some nice moments but didn't take game by the scruff of the neck.
Young - I don't think he was awful but my comment about Robson stands.
James - Few nice moments, great work for the last try.
Wade - Ditto

Wow, cheers for that guys, really good. After performances, what do you think the team for next week will be?

Wow, cheers for that guys, really good. After performances, what do you think the team for next week will be?

On the one hand; we've enough injuries that I wouldn't want to change a winning team.

On the other hand, Saxons get together so infrequently you want to learn as much as possible about as many of them as possible and basically want to give everyone a shot.
Personally, I'd stick with the same guys and treat it seriously; I think it'd be better for their development; "everyone gets a game" damages morale, and the chances of another tour being organised (and the likely cost of Ashton's spurning of the tour)

Ideally - same again, but with Craig replacing one of Ewels/Lee, Ewers and Chisholm on for Armand and Jones (or maybe Ewers/Armand starting, Chisholm on bench), and Hill, James and Wade into the starting XV for the centres and Lewington.

If all of Robson, Lewington and Roko are down... I dunno man, flying someone out from holiday for one game seems a waste, but a backline with a centre in the back three and two bench subs, neither of them a half-back, that's a bit dicey.

Ideally - same again, but with Craig replacing one of Ewels/Lee, Ewers and Chisholm on for Armand and Jones (or maybe Ewers/Armand starting, Chisholm on bench), and Hill, James and Wade into the starting XV for the centres and Lewington.

If all of Robson, Lewington and Roko are down... I dunno man, flying someone out from holiday for one game seems a waste, but a backline with a centre in the back three and two bench subs, neither of them a half-back, that's a bit dicey.

Chudley, Short and Sharples for a to be called up?

No idea. No idea whether the players are unable to play next game, no idea whether they want to call up players for one game - and no idea whether, say, Ben Youngs is going to break his leg tomorrow.

No idea. No idea whether the players are unable to play next game, no idea whether they want to call up players for one game - and no idea whether, say, Ben Youngs is going to break his leg tomorrow.

I was more asking who you would call up should they be injured. And does this mean that, should an England 9 be injured, Micky Young gets called up?

Gotta be Addison, he's had an excellent season and is more well rounded than Short and more consistent than him and Sharples.

Did they do an official MOTM?

No, but I hearby award the official TRF MotM award to Mike Haley. I am willing to hear counter arguments but Olyy will ban you.

Toby - Oh. Uhm... Chudley or Cook for SH, I guess, maybe Cook as he's younger. Wingers, who cares, they're all tossers ;)

And yeah, we're one injury away (maybe) from Micky Young, England scrum-half. Well, that or they call up Simpson and tell him to can 7s in a hurry.

Hepburn MotM for me.

I would replace
Robson with Sam Harrison - Should be fit from his broken nose.
Lewington with Addison
Roko with Hammersley.

Youth won this in the end, I thought they would get beat by a fairly decent SA outfit, glad to be proved wrong, but great match, couldn't take my eyes off this one.. Roll on tomorrow!

Latest posts