• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 1st Test] Australia vs. Ireland (09/06/2018)

We need to experiment but a bitter pill to swallow losing to those absolute *****.

No more experimenting, name our strongest side and put them away.
I think we can beat them while experimenting. Give Murray a rest for Cooney, get Beirne in, Conan deserves a start and maybe Conway too, add Leavy, Sexton, Ringrose and a stronger front row. Realistically that team was set out in the worst possible way to beat the Aussies, slow, weak at the breakdown and nothing but grunt in the centres so we were sitting ducks to their kicking game.

Next week is now the most important game for us because we have to be competing constantly but we don't need to go all guns blazing to win.

Things of note.
- Ireland's attack was very blunt. Nothing new there. The Aussies have a big backline so they put up a wall of defenders and ganged up on Stockdale which results in a clueless looking Ireland. It resembled the Fiji match last year. Ireland don't make defence think so stack the defence with big men.
- The Aussies dominated in the air especially Folau.
- Irelands bench made a negative impact.
- Pocock dominated the breakdown. Next match I'd bring in Leavy and play Beirne at 8 since Stander made no impact.
- Ireland made some bizarre mistakes. When Murray kicked the ball out on the full I said to the person next to me that they're pressing the self destruct button.

Next match I'd like to see Leavy, Ringrose, Beirne, Conway (for Kearney). Murray needs to improve too especially with his speed.

Well wasn't a win but well the main importance was development.
Joey showed he will improve with games at 10 consistently and looked very good with a strong line around him.
O'Mahony was very good as a captain and well stepped up too.
Stockdale was excellent and I though James Ryan was a immense. For such a young guy he was physically ploughing yards.
Herring was ok Scannell will get an audition now too. The 2 areas of 9 and 15 are where depth will be built soon too but overall it was a good day in more ways than not.

@profitius I wouldn't put Beirne at 8. I'd let him see games at lock as this will be his primary position and let him learn the systems there first

You obviously missed the NZ game. This ref was at the very least consistent, and didn't favour either side.

Ha did see that game, ref there (White?) did have a worse performance tbf! Baffled how at least one AB wasnt in the bin after that double high shot/shoulder charge... especially after the the soft yellow he gave that French lock.

This referee, while not quite massively one sided gave three very poor calls against ireland. Pen vs Stockdale - three Aussies off their feet doesnt make a ruck, plus he did the release and re gather trick, blatant crossing / obstruction the phase before the try, and the blatant killing the ball at the ruck at the end... Murray lost his head more naturally and shouldn't reacted the way he did, but was a pretty bullshit call tbf.

Still winning a series in Australia 3 zip is never easy. Ireland won't manage it and they're the current 6Ns GS champs as were England back in 2016.
I dont know really, the All Bllacks have strung together plenty more than 3 wins in a row on our shores over the past 15 years on a number of occasions. Australia havent been a world class side since 2003 really and as happy Is was with the win tonight my god our tactical kicking was just plain brain dead at times...

More generally, I thought that Folau disallowed try was seriously total BS though. It kills me how in rugby these days they insist on going back and pedantically reversing tries over marginal calls that you see hundreds of through the match and all get ignored until there's a try scored. They should do what they do in League and let the refs call stand if they haven't referred it further. You're not going to get refereeing perfection, so it just makes the game look stupid if you try to achieve it only when there's points on offer.

I dont know really, the All Bllacks have strung together plenty more than 3 wins in a row on our shores over the past 15 years on a number of occasions. Australia havent been a world class side since 2003 really and as happy Is was with the win tonight my god our tactical kicking was just plain brain dead at times...

More generally, I thought that Folau disallowed try was seriously total BS though. It kills me how in rugby these days they insist on going back and pedantically reversing tries over marginal calls that you see hundreds of through the match and all get ignored until there's a try scored. They should do what they do in League and let the refs call stand if they haven't referred it further. You're not going to get refereeing perfection, so it just makes the game look stupid if you try to achieve it only when there's points on offer.
On the disallowed try. It was a 100% clear penalty. Was arguably 1 of the easiest decisions to make all day and well if anything a high level of stupidity from Coleman. And was referred after play had stopped. It was excellent procedures for that call

On the disallowed try. It was a 100% clear penalty. Was arguably 1 of the easiest decisions to make all day and well if anything a high level of stupidity from Coleman. And was referred after play had stopped. It was excellent procedures for that call
In rugby league they'd have applied common sense and understood it had zero impact on the try. Just saying, but it's a classic example of why no one watches the game here anymore. Too much indecision and ambiguity over decisions. So much **** is let go in the course of a game FFS... calling a try back for an inconsequential decoy misread is just stupid

In rugby league they'd have applied common sense and understood it had zero impact on the try. Just saying, but it's a classic example of why no one watches the game here anymore. Too much indecision and ambiguity over decisions. So much **** is let go in the course of a game FFS... calling a try back for an inconsequential decoy misread is just stupid

By that logic any off the ball tackle is fair game because its an inconsequential misread. Sure defences would just tackle every runner if that was the case.

It was the right call, but they should have made it far sooner. It was a clear penalty, but that had to be a kick in the gut for Australia. They won't mind now, given that they won the game, but it must take the wind out of the team's sails a lot to score a great try but then have it reversed because of a foul committed two minutes prior before your team even had the ball.

I dont know really, the All Bllacks have strung together plenty more than 3 wins in a row on our shores over the past 15 years on a number of occasions. Australia havent been a world class side since 2003 really and as happy Is was with the win tonight my god our tactical kicking was just plain brain dead at times....

I should add for a NH side coming off of their domestic season. Home advantage still counts for something at international level.

By that logic any off the ball tackle is fair game because its an inconsequential misread. Sure defences would just tackle every runner if that was the case.

As was pointed out already - the call was from several minutes earlier before we even had the call and it was a contentious call at best given it was a decoy runner.

By the logic of that time frame you might as well have the refs go over the game after it's finished and adjust the score after forensically checking to ensure every single decision is precisely correct.

Very disappointing attacking performance for Ireland. They look blunt without Garry Ringrose. Still, worthwhile giving game time to Joey Carbery, Rob Herring, John Ryan and Jordan Larmour in a serious test match. Doubt we'll see Ryan or Herrin start another test though. Peter O'Mahony and Bundee Aki were Ireland's best players.

I suspect both teams will be better next week.

Absolutely agree with this.
Also agree that Cane should have been off in the All Black test, and why the hell didn't the ref go to the 3rd umpire when checking the French yellow?

I still think we would've won - but who knows?

Bad calls marred both these tests.

Thought we'd lose but still disappointed.

-Furlong and Sexton deserve a dressing down. Their heads weren't in it when they came on.
-Carberry is not up to it currently....he did nothing but shovel the ball to the nearest man and miss the opportunity to chip over the rush. Maybe 'he'll get better with games' but thats a hope really isn't it. Schmidt had the same hope for Madigan.
-Delighted Herring played well.
-We lost our nerve for the aerial battle. Kearney, Earls and Stockdale all shipped heavy knocks going up against the Aussies.
-Aki lets everyone around him down on attacking ball. Henshaw and Ringrose are our centres.
-Phenomenonal display from Pocock. We needed Sean O Brien to put manners on him.

Hope we improve but a 3-0 defeat wouldn't surprise me. Australia look like they mean business and they're backs are far better than ours.

To be honest on that TMO call Coleman was lucky to stay on the pitch, he held Henderson down and shoved his head into his face so I reckon the TMO wanted to card him but there was no communication between the ref and TMO.

Edit: What's the rule about the ball not leaving a players hand on a tap and go? Is it a scrum the other way or a retake? Because Genia didn't drop it onto his foot prior to the try.

Last edited:

Agreed, Coleman with immense stupidity.

Ha did see that game, ref there (White?) did have a worse performance tbf! Baffled how at least one AB wasnt in the bin after that double high shot/shoulder charge... especially after the the soft yellow he gave that French lock.

This referee, while not quite massively one sided gave three very poor calls against ireland. Pen vs Stockdale - three Aussies off their feet doesnt make a ruck, plus he did the release and re gather trick, blatant crossing / obstruction the phase before the try, and the blatant killing the ball at the ruck at the end... Murray lost his head more naturally and shouldn't reacted the way he did, but was a pretty bullshit call tbf.

I still think it was a pen against Stockdale, he waited too long, which is obviously something they have been practising, too let go and pick the ball up and run. It could be argued the guys were off his feet, but the ruck had formed.

Pocock also got penalised twice wrongly which led to 6 points to Ireland...

To be honest on that TMO call Coleman was lucky to stay on the pitch, he held Henderson down and shoved his head into his face so I reckon the TMO wanted to card him but there was no communication between the ref and TMO.

Edit: What's the rule about the ball not leaving a players hand on a tap and go? Is it a scrum the other way or a retake? Because Genia didn't drop it onto his foot prior to the try.
giphy.gif

Latest posts