• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 1st Test] South Africa vs. England (09/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

MfOD7Ws.png
j7lEIMe.png
dEc1PIg.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg
Time: 17:05 (CAT, GMT+2)
Teams

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Trevor Nyakane/Wilco Louw, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Wilco Louw/Thomas du Toit, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Warrick Gelant

England: 15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Henry Slade, 12 Owen Farrell (captain), 11 Mike Brown, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Tom Curry, 6 Chris Robshaw, 5 Nick Isiekwe, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola

Substitutes: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Harry Williams, 19 Brad Shields, 20 Nathan Hughes, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Piers Francis, 23 Denny Solomona

Last edited:
My preferred/predicted 23:

1. Mako
2. George
3. Williams
4. Itoje
5. Launchbury
6. Shields
7. Curry
8. Binny

9. Youngs
10. Ford

11. May
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Solomana
15. Daly

16. Cowan Dickie
17. Marler
18. Sinckler
19. Isiekwe
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Loz/Francis
23. Woodward/Brown

Not sure of the 22/23 shirts. Don't really need another fly half cover with both Ford and Farrell in the starting XV. 23 should cover full back, as Daly can shift to the wing or cover 13.

I'd be surprised if Shields starts considering he will have only been with the team for a week.
I think Robshaw will start with Shields on the bench.

Yeah you're probably right. 2nd test maybe Shields to start. We need a 6 with more ball carrying threat than Robshaw. Also would really like to see what a Shields, Curry, Binny backrow can do.

Completely agree, just trying to think what EJ will do. I'd start Simmonds over Robshaw, tbh. Even Isiekwe.

McGeechan said at the weekend that he sees Isiekwe as more flanker than lock.

Surely we need a proper look at Genge.

I think Eddie should play his strongest line up in the first test, which means Mako/Marler for the 1 shirt/bench. Genge to be picked for bench come 2nd or 3rd test. He's going to get game time at some point this series as Mako's been flogged since Lions and needs a rest.

Despite our loss to Wales I'm excited for the test!
Due to weather, and us sending a second team it just wasn't the best marker for how good we might be.

Here's what I think the team will be:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Trevor Nyakane
4. Franco Mostert
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
6. Siya Kolisi
7. Jean luc du Preez
8. Duane Vermulen
9. Faf de Klerk
10. Handre Pollard
11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (deb)
12. Damian de Allende / Francois Steyne (It's literally 50/50 could go either way)
13. Lukanyo Am (basically deb)
14. Sbu Nkosi / Willie le Roux (could see this selection going either way)
15. Warrick Gelant / Willie le Roux

16. Akker van der Merve
17. Steven Kitsoff
18. Wilcouw Louw
19. RG Snyman (might start due to PSDT playing in America)
20. Honestly have no idea, could be one of several people Mohoje/Dan du Preez/Kwagga Smith/Notshe
21. Ivan van Zyl?
22. Elton Jantjies
23. Warrick Gelant / Francois Steyn/ Damian de Allende (depending on how the starting backs shape out)

I know I hedged a lot but that should give everyone a good idea of the starting team.

My expectations have to be muted, England have built a great culture over the past few years, and I know they have slipped up recently in the 6N and agaisnt the Babas BUT

South Africa have basically just had the worst 2 years in our history, breaking losing records across the board and being universally poor in multiple areas.

This one's at Ellis Park so altitude is going to play a big factor. Expect SA to get stronger as the game goes on and England to start flagging by the 55 minute mark, which means the England's bench options being particularly important.

If you're going to mix and match the team you could argue that we'd expect to lose at altitude so this would be the one to take the riskier selections with. But then you also want to set the right tone.

The Baa Baas reinforced that Robshaw's not one for the thin air. Give Shields his head. Or maybe even combine the younger legs of Curry and Simmonds.

What I want out of this tour more than results is for 2 or 3 players to really stick their hands up to demand a shirt.

@TheBlindside - Mako looked knackered in the 6N but he was MoM in the AP semi and final. He has been flogged, but there didn't seem to be much wrong with his end of season form and fitness away from the Eng set up. Ditto Itoje.

Billy back instantly improves the back row, and with Curry and then Robshaw or Shields at 6 England are miles better off than they were in the 6 nations. Still wouldn't surprise me to see Robshaw at 7 though and I think Mike Brown will start 15 (not that I agree with it)

If you're going to mix and match the team you could argue that we'd expect to lose at altitude so this would be the one to take the riskier selections with. But then you also want to set the right tone.

The Baa Baas reinforced that Robshaw's not one for the thin air. Give Shields his head. Or maybe even combine the younger legs of Curry and Simmonds.

What I want out of this tour more than results is for 2 or 3 players to really stick their hands up to demand a shirt.

@TheBlindside - Mako looked knackered in the 6N but he was MoM in the AP semi and final. He has been flogged, but there didn't seem to be much wrong with his end of season form and fitness away from the Eng set up. Ditto Itoje.

At least two of the tests are at altitude. So better get used to playing in those conditions. Although Saffers on here can advise better than I can, which of the tests are at higher altitude. I know Ellis Park or Emirates is renowned for being one venue at altitude.

2018 Summer Tour Fixtures
Date Fixture Location
9 June 2018 South Africa v England Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg
16 June 2018 South Africa v England Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein
23 June 2018 South Africa v England DHL Newlands, Cape Town

Yep, But still rotating between Mako, a Marler and avenge across all 3 tests can't hurt. Just think sooner or later Mako's gonna burn out with the workload he's taken on in the last 12 months.

My preferred/predicted 23:

1. Mako
2. George
3. Williams
4. Itoje
5. Launchbury
6. Shields
7. Curry
8. Binny

9. Youngs
10. Ford

11. May
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Solomana
15. Daly

16. Cowan Dickie
17. Marler
18. Sinckler
19. Isiekwe
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Loz/Francis
23. Woodward/Brown

Not sure of the 22/23 shirts. Don't really need another fly half cover with both Ford and Farrell in the starting XV. 23 should cover full back, as Daly can shift to the wing or cover 13.

Genge for marler (unless unavailable that i missed)

I do like daly for FB. But as it stands ford faz slade, they are all playmaker no real attacking running game, id shift daly to 13

9 Youngs
10 ford
11 may
12 farrell
13 daly
14 solomona
15 woodward

21 robson (needs another chance)
22 loz (on for ford, moves to 12)
23 brown(for security over woodward) or nowell? (Could have an impact) could play 13 if daly was wanted at FB later in the game. Although ive never been sold on the idea.

Just dont like the idea of. Ford faz slade. Shame trinder had a back game.

Bismarck and Frans Steyn will not play the first test. They haven't joined the group yet after their matches this past weekend, and will only be in contention for next week's match.

Who'll play hooker with Marx and Bismarck out of the first test? Chiliboy?

Who'll play hooker with Marx and Bismarck out of the first test? Chiliboy?

Most probably the same combo that played against Wales, although my preference would be that Akker should start. The warthog is just something different that we might need against england.

Had an amazing moment in traffic yesterday. Was driving along William Nicol when I noticed a Lions sponsored car in front of me and saw the name Ross Cronje plastered all over it. I looked inside and it was indeed him.

Then when we were stuck at a robot (traffic light), a metro guided motorcade came through and blocked the intersection. I expected it to be politicians, but instead it was the Springboks bus with the players. The traffic was a bit messy at the robot though, so it took them five minutes to get through there. Poor Ross Cronje had to sit for about 5 minutes waiting for a bus to go by which he would have been on last just last year.

He drove off quite quickly as soon as the light went green.

Sucks that Bismarck is out of the first test, can't see how playing Chiliboy will help us in any way to win this game. Maybe he can at least have a 90% lineout throwing record for the first game? Cant see Akker being selected to start.

Despite our loss to Wales I'm excited for the test!
Due to weather, and us sending a second team it just wasn't the best marker for how good we might be.

Here's what I think the team will be:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Trevor Nyakane
4. Franco Mostert
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
6. Siya Kolisi
7. Jean luc du Preez
8. Duane Vermulen
9. Faf de Klerk
10. Handre Pollard
11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (deb)
12. Damian de Allende / Francois Steyne (It's literally 50/50 could go either way)
13. Lukanyo Am (basically deb)
14. Sbu Nkosi / Willie le Roux (could see this selection going either way)
15. Warrick Gelant / Willie le Roux

16. Akker van der Merve
17. Steven Kitsoff
18. Wilcouw Louw
19. RG Snyman (might start due to PSDT playing in America)
20. Honestly have no idea, could be one of several people Mohoje/Dan du Preez/Kwagga Smith/Notshe
21. Ivan van Zyl?
22. Elton Jantjies
23. Warrick Gelant / Francois Steyn/ Damian de Allende (depending on how the starting backs shape out)

I know I hedged a lot but that should give everyone a good idea of the starting team.

My expectations have to be muted, England have built a great culture over the past few years, and I know they have slipped up recently in the 6N and agaisnt the Babas BUT

South Africa have basically just had the worst 2 years in our history, breaking losing records across the board and being universally poor in multiple areas.

Don't think we will see Willie le Roux ever playing wing for the Boks again, and i'm pretty sure that lineup you mentioned will start the game, with le Roux at fullback.

I see that the England team will be basing themselves at the Beverly hills hotel in Umhlanga (close to Durban) and then flying to the games the day before and then flying back to Umhlanga after the games. That's quite an interesting move by EJ, They can now avoid the winter chills that the rest of South Africa experiences currently by staying in the warm sub tropical environment on the east coast which i think is a good move.

A side effect of being based on the coast is that England will have no time to practice at altitude, and i've heard of people who got altitude sickness by just driving to Joburg, so interesting that EJ doesn't care about acclimatization.

Bloemfontein is 1,395 m above sea level and Johannesburg is in the 1,700 s

Don't think we will see Willie le Roux ever playing wing for the Boks again, and i'm pretty sure that lineup you mentioned will start the game, with le Roux at fullback.
It's mostly just to try and fit Gelant in (moving Gelant to wing would be an awful move in my book), and it gives us slightly more experience out wide rather than 2 debutantes, not that we can really avoid that.

Really have no idea what do expect from this team but it's hard to imagine us actually performing well, I don't think there is a single established combination anywhere in our back line, and this team has barely had any time together.

Having a new hooker at 2 is also a problem as line outs have been an issue for a while now, mostly due to poor throwing.
In a perfect world the stars align and this team magically puts up the performances but it's a really hard ask.

At least the weather should be good.

Last edited:
Holy **** are we really not staying at altitude?!
Wildly short sighted and gonna **** us massively.

Latest posts