• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 1st Test] South Africa vs. England (09/06/2018)

Funny. I thought the ref was very good. In fact at one time I found myself thinking whta good job he was doing.

Watching as an enthralled viewer due to the spectacularliness of the match but neutral enough to not sweat every single refereeing decision.

Only times, in real time, i noticed anything wrong was the FdK tackle on the dummy half, Vunipola late shoulder (which I missed) but then I had spotted the late Itoje Elbow to the same player performing the same act in the first half so thought it swings and roundabouts. And then in the last few minutes when I though the young Boks might choke, and I did start sweating the decisions, and England sealed off a dodgy grounded pass 5m from their own line.

I wasn't aware of the lop-sided penalty count.

I'm not saying I'm neutral, I was backing the Boks.

Wow! What a test match! reminded me a bit of the test at Ellis Park against the Irish, where they also got a massive lead and then we sneaked the win at the end.

I thought the 3 debutants can stand tall and proud after their first outing, especially RG Snyman and Sbu Nkosi. Dyanthi was a little bit more anonymous than the others, but he did better than Skosan and Rhule did when they were starting out. I just think both the wingers needs to work more this week on fanning out when we're on defence, but I'm sure that will get better the more time they spend with Nienaber.

What an improvement after the Wales match though? If we can keep the intensity up like we did that last 20 minutes in the first half for longer periods, then very few teams would stop us. Take nothing away from England, they were really good for 60 minutes, and at times had the upper hand, even in the second half.

On the referee, it's quite amazing how differently a SH referee interprets the ruck laws opposed to a NH referee, I'm sure if Poite was the referee, England would've had a lot more penalties going their way instead of going to us. Yes O'keefe had a few bad calls, but he wasn't favouring one side over another, he had some bad calls against us as well. And Itoje should be very lucky that he didn't get a yellow card for his repeated high hits on Faf, it was clearly a plan of his to try and take Faf out.

Was Billy Vunipola on the field?? I don't think I heard his name mentioned by the commentators once. And I thought he would pose the biggest threat, instead it was Farrel, May and Daly doing the business for England.

As for SA, our main focus this week should be working on our defence. Other than that I thought we handled the set phases very well, and on attack we made the right decisions on when to kick and when to run.

In the forwards I thought everyone did their job well, even Bongi, his throws at the lineout was accurate and he tackled well. RG Snyman, and Duane Vermeulen was however the standouts in the forwards department.

In the Backline, I thought Lukhanyo Am was our weak link, very poor on attack, slipping way too easily, not getting over the advantage line, and missing a lot of tackles, but then again all our backs had a bad day at the office when it came to tackling.

looking forward to the Bloem game, it's one of those venues some international teams just hate to play at.

So how did shields get on? I seen the game but was abit drunk so dont remember alot of details, how did Solomona get on?

Denny was only on for 3 minutes,
Touched the ball once (Which was from a kick, if I remember correctly - and was hit as soon as he caught it), 0 tackles (0 misses)

Fair enough, what about shields?
Shields did ok - worked hard - but its unrealistic to expect too much when he's out of position...!! I still haven't worked out what Isiweke did to be hauled off so soon...?

There's the usual Monday morning newspaper journalist pap - I don't agree that Sinckler was badly beaten up front - he ran out of steam in the last half an hour, but he wasn't the only one, prior to that he'd been pretty solid. Also, the finger pointing at Luke Cowan Dickie - every time a lineout goes duff - the thrower gets the blame - every time. It's often not the thrower - so LCD should be cut some slack, not be subject to default blame from those who assume, but don't look.

Robshaw - been a great old scout, but he looks slower than a handcart with the handbrake on, future selections cannot be a misguided reward for past endeavours - we cannot afford that. Mako V yellow card was an embarrassment for our game - truly pathetic - De Klerk's theatrics were a major influence on the referee's decision - altogether a sordid little affair that brings no credit to anyone.

Playing players out of position - you get away with that playing against Macclesfield 3rd XV - you certainly don't get away with it at this level. So for the avoidance of doubt - Daly is a 13, Brown is a 15 and Shields is a 6 - play them there - and NOWHERE else - for the sake of all of our sanities!

Mako V yellow card was an embarrassment for our game - truly pathetic - De Klerk's theatrics were a major influence on the referee's decision - altogether a sordid little affair that brings no credit to anyone.

Are you serious? Mako and Itoje tried their very best to hit Faf high and late every chance they got. Itoje should've been binned long before Mako for the exact same thing. It's understandable that Faf went down after the umpteenth hit on him.

Can someone please refer me to the point in the game where England was apparently penalised at the breakdown allegedly without being there?

Having watched the game live and on recording here my few insights/observations:

Packed stadium, 55 000 tickets sold but I did see some empty seats, people probably high jacked outside as this great stadium is in a very bad part of town. Driving there in a bus the direct 5km around it looks like a slump, disgusting and litter everywhere.
Great vibe and excitement before the game, lot's of smiles and good amount of English folk geared for the game (almost seemed like a fancy dress occasion). All friendly decent English supporters and good to see the Saffers treating them with respect. No drunken assholes like in the 80's and 90's anymore. SA Rugby has truly cleaned up the their stadia.
After the anthems it almost felt like the 95 world cup final, there was a special feeling this time around. Was it Rassie or Siya or was it both, man but it felt good.
Right that didn't last long and after 15 or so minutes my buddy said "Gena, don't tell me this is another 53-3 drubbing". I said no wait this is the first quarter of a new coach and a new captain in a new season, let's see it they can turn this around.
At that stage the place was very quiet, but a quiet that hurt, strange feeling.
The rest is history

First 20 minutes - tactical error on SA side and Rassie confirmed he is to blame. He was of the opinion England would kick a lot down the middle and as such instructed his guys to defend accordingly. Siya was the one that after the 3rd try picked up it was wrong and they adjusted on the field. When last did SA make a bold decision on the field with success? That is a major point to take away from a SA perspective... Why did England not capitalize when in the position to do so, don't even think Eddie knows.

First late tackle on Faf was much worse than the one that was yellow carded. Ref inconsistencies here. Ref very strict but allowed good advantage.

Springboks:
Faf was immense and I have never seen anyone feed the backline with such speed and accuracy, his defense improved drastically. Not even 3 seasons ago he had one of the worst tackle completion stats in all of the Super 18, thanks to his European exposure he is now Faf 2.0.
Most people rave about Duanne but forgot how immense this real life Thor was, he is only getting back to what he is capable of, not yet there but good to see him back.
Every time he catches a high kick you hear that buzz in the crowd when he starts his runs.
Willie is as good as what he was before his slump, glad to have his vision and speed back for SA.
Our new recruits did well, both wingers showed what they are capable of and RG Snyman is living up to the hype around him.
Our centre pairing disappointing and I would much prefer to see Andre Esterhuizen team up with Lukhanyo Am (he needs a few games more, acknowledged).
Jean-Luc du Preez seems to know far to well he is big and strong but should start playing with some grunt, he is trying to mix his game and he is found somewhere in between.
He kinda reminds me of a Pierre Spies that tries to play like Sony-Bill Williams. He was unimpressive.
Siya Kolisi did well as captain and player. Massive kudos to him to clam the squad down after that first 20 minute onsluaght.
Franco Mostert is a machine that never stops, honest hard player, old school.
Front row was decent but Wilco Louw under performed, looked lackluster.
Bongi at hooker was hard working but average but with Rassie bringing in Schalk Brits as added experience and Akker vd Merwe finding his feet we are okay until the return of the world's best hooker, aka Malcolm Marx.
Bench good and will become a major strong point for the Bokke in the years to come.

England:
From the benefit of a high viewing angle I picked up that Billy Vunipola was pedestrian.
From the same angle Jonny May was exceptional (personal favorite English player).
Tom Curry looked busy and had a good game but Chris Robshaw is one season too much, you could clearly see he simply does not have the power and speed anymore to make a valuable contribution.
Both young locks have promise but too many penalties at this level.
Front row was okay but you could see when the Bok reinforcements came on second half and the altitude getting to he big men, they suffered
Jamie George not overly impressive but I do favor him opposed to the arrogant Dylan Hartley (personal least liked English player)
Mike Brown looked strong on attack but yes, as so many have stated just don't have the acceleration to keep up with younger international wingers
Centre paring okay, don;t think I have ever seen Farrel having a really poor game and kicking like a champ but Slade doesn't seem to inspire, good hands but yeah, not a world beater.
Sorry to say and yes, one immensely gifted player but Elliot Daily did not impress from where I watched the game. Great kick and good try (anyone would have scored that 3rd try had they been there), for the rest he made basic mistakes but will improve with experience.

Looking very much forward to the second game in the comfort of my couch, much warmer inside

The issue with Vunipola is that he's our only hope.
We have no other 8s that even come close to him, so we have to try and get him match fit as quick as possible. Next off the rank is Nathan Hughes and he's half the player Binny is, and also straight back from injury/nowhere near match fitness as well.
Beyond that it's playing flankers out of position at 8.

Ben Morgan? Seriously I don't remember him ever really being bad for England, Billy was just bigger and offered a more immediate solution to post-Tuilagi England lacking a big basher.

Having said that, imagine:

1 - Genge
2 - LCD
3 - Sinckler
4 - Launch
5 - Itoje/Isiekwe
6 - Shields/Underhill
7 - Curry
8 - Vunipola
9 - Youngs
10 - Farrel
11 - Watson
12 - Tuilagi (as he was around 2012)
13 - Loz
14 - May
15 - Daly

One could dream...

Ben Morgan? Seriously I don't remember him ever really being bad for England, Billy was just bigger and offered a more immediate solution to post-Tuilagi England lacking a big basher.
Yup, I would have had Morgan in for a while now. He's the most like for like for Billy that we have, and really fits the mould that Eddie wants from an 8.
I know he's had a number of injuries, and I've not followed Gloucester closely so I don't know what his club form has been like, but as you say: He's always turned it on in an England shirt.

The issue with Vunipola is that he's our only hope.
We have no other 8s that even come close to him, so we have to try and get him match fit as quick as possible. Next off the rank is Nathan Hughes and he's half the player Binny is, and also straight back from injury/nowhere near match fitness as well.
Beyond that it's playing flankers out of position at 8.
Fine distinction. Let's not confuse best no8 with best carrier. He's been seen as so essential because we haven't had other carriers, but he doesn't have the rounded skillset of a Faletau, Read or Parisse. Virtually every other 8 on the planet jumps too.

I'd say, for instance, that Morgan's smarter than him off the base, has more acceleration and picks better lines ball in hand. Don't understand why he fell off the radar so dramatically.

People have a go at May for being a one trick pony, but that accusation can equally be levelled at Binny. It's a hell of a trick when he gets it right, but if he plays there have to be compromises elsewhere. And we've seen before that he's a passenger if not 100% fit.

Is it ridiculous to suggest that Morgan could do a very good job for us at 6? He's leaned up a lot in recent times and as I previously said, his work rate has gone through the roof. He's also very strong at the break down and is obviously a good carrier. Anyone know whether he's a lineout option? I seem to remember him going up a few times for England but haven't been watching whether or not he does it for Gloucester.

If Isekwe is seen as a 6 (which he apparently is by Olly) then yeah, that's about right
Nah, put Shields there. He's more trusted at 5 than Isiekwe is by EJ.

I'm just sick of playing players out of position for no ******* reason. Even suggesting that Morgan (or Hughes) should play 6 is just ludicrous.

Latest posts