• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] Australia vs. Ireland (16/06/2018)

Ireland deserved the win. Should have won with more ease, but weren't clinical enough.

I personally thought the ref had a decent game. Maybe another yellow for Aus, but apart from that there was no glaringly bad decisions or inconsistency.

POM man of the match.

They gave multiple infringements on their tryline, no yellow, later another clear yellow before Furlong's try not given, deliberate knock on when Ireland had an overlap, no yellow, had over double the penalty count, blatant forward pass from Aussie prop that led to their try, CLEAR side entry on our maul that led to their try in the final minutes, thats just off the top of my head but there were multiple other incidents.

I wanted Kilcoyne to get a spot on the bench next week anyway, but McGrath has made that call easy for Schmidt.

If we see McGrath and Healy again next week I'll be annoyed.

Kilcoyne isn't on the tour. Prepare to be annoyed.

I think Wallace made less mistakes than your average ref and he showed potential to be very good. In the 2nd and 4th quarters though the mistakes in our favour gave us minimal advantages while the other way around were momentum shifters in their favour l.

They gave multiple infringements on their tryline, no yellow, later another clear yellow before Furlong's try not given, deliberate knock on when Ireland had an overlap, no yellow, had over double the penalty count, blatant forward pass from Aussie prop that led to their try, CLEAR side entry on our maul that led to their try in the final minutes, thats just off the top of my head but there were multiple other incidents.

I won't go through the game to see how many times Ireland infringed and got away with it because it's a pointless exercise.

As stated previously, he should have given another card to Aus. Not the multiple yellows that you are demanding.

I think Wallace made less mistakes than your average ref and he showed potential to be very good. In the 2nd and 4th quarters though the mistakes in our favour gave us minimal advantages while the other way around were momentum shifters in their favour l.

Nah mate, he was ****.

I won't go through the game to see how many times Ireland infringed and got away with it because it's a pointless exercise.

As stated previously, he should have given another card to Aus. Not the multiple yellows that you are demanding.

Two clear yellows were ignored. There's no debating that.

The referee was Paul Williams, if Paul Wallace was reffing there would have been a lot more problems.

Yeah i thought he was good for the most part. Obviously the Australians escaping yellow the entire game (tip tackle aside) was a mistake but in general you tend to get away with more with SH referees. If he'd spotted McGrath in real time i'm convinced he wouldn't have carded him. Gauzeres interjection kind of swayed him toward yellow i feel.

On the game. I thought Ireland would front up physically and so it proved. The Aussies are game as **** but i'm not sure they can match our first choice pack. Furlong and Healy added so much in general play. POM MOTM though.

I'm not interested wholesale rotation. Its become a buzz word if you ask me. One or two to compliment our first choice team will do me fine. If the same 15 start next week we'll win the series. Genia is a huge loss for them.

He's out in Aus though on hols and still training away.

But have said about Jack. The lions tour has hurt him. He's been 4th best LH at best this year based on form. Hopefully he can get out of reverse soon

I figured he'd be our third loose head on tour, but the point stands either way. We're giving three different guys a shot at tight head and are doing well on that side. We need to give another loose head some minutes with Ireland.

Think Cronin is a better loosehead than Kilcoyne and McGrath at the moment. Way more destructive scrummager than Kilcoyne, not as good of a carrier but gets through work. Think he'd make **** of the Aus scrum if needed. Kilcoyne not so much and his discipline is also dodgy. McGrath is just well off his normal standard. No doubting that

Think Cronin is a better loosehead than Kilcoyne and McGrath at the moment. Way more destructive scrummager than Kilcoyne, not as good of a carrier but gets through work. Think he'd make **** of the Aus scrum if needed. Kilcoyne not so much and his discipline is also dodgy. McGrath is just well off his normal standard. No doubting that

James Cronin would be a better player than Jack McGrath IF he could stop doing stupid things.

Ireland deserved the win. Pretty basic in the end. Gainline ball all night, we could barely secure our own. Combine that with better decision making and discipline and we were never going to match up.

I think, with Coleman and Genia out, the series is basically over. We havnt the depth to cover the loss of two key players.

The reffing is becomming a serious problem. I won't bother delving into specific calls either way. I think the telling moment was when the TMO told them to stop the game and then followed up by saying it was nothing. **** off, hey. And it's not even nearly as bad as across the ditch.

Finally, Ireland will never beat the All Blacks with that terrible one up ****. Wales 2.0. What works against the Wobblies will not against the Darkness.

and Denis Buckley is better than the lot of them.

Ireland made a meal of that. Had they won by 20 points, it would have been a fairer reflection on the game. Need to be a lot more clinical.

I do think we'd have been better off giving Jack McGrath the summer off. It would have given us a chance to develop a third LH in a green shirt and it would have been good for him to get a chance to get back to 100% given he still hasn't really worn off the Lions tour hangover.

As regards his form he's been poor when he started for Leinster but he's been good coming off the bench in the 6N and for Leinster in Europe which combined with his experience and ability levels both of which are miles ahead of the rest is still good enough for him to be second choice IMO. In the context of the tour though it would probably have been better for someone else to go. For all the talk of the Munster lads I'd like to see Buckley get a chance.

Healy ≥ big gap > Buckley >McGrath > Kilcoyne/Cronin IMO. If McGrath hits the levels he's capable of he's well able to jump up one or two spots on the list.

and Denis Buckley is better than the lot of them.

Ireland made a meal of that. Had they won by 20 points, it would have been a fairer reflection on the game. Need to be a lot more clinical.
Maybe. I've honestly not paid attention to Buckley's form for a while now, but he always has been criminally underrated.

The yellow card aside Jack had a pretty good game, scrum was solid I thought.

Schmidt obviously doesn't particularly rate the options outside Healy and McGrath. Buckley especially he obviously doesn't rate as an international. Rumours are it's because of his height and the leverages it makes so unless he has a really late growth spurt he's not going to get a call up.

Yeah i thought he was good for the most part. Obviously the Australians escaping yellow the entire game (tip tackle aside) was a mistake but in general you tend to get away with more with SH referees. If he'd spotted McGrath in real time i'm convinced he wouldn't have carded him. Gauzeres interjection kind of swayed him toward yellow i feel.

On the game. I thought Ireland would front up physically and so it proved. The Aussies are game as **** but i'm not sure they can match our first choice pack. Furlong and Healy added so much in general play. POM MOTM though.

I'm not interested wholesale rotation. Its become a buzz word if you ask me. One or two to compliment our first choice team will do me fine. If the same 15 start next week we'll win the series. Genia is a huge loss for them.
Yeah, last week was the experimental game. I think Conan for Stander, Henderson for Beirne and Cronin for Herring are the changes I'd make to the 23 next week.

I'm surprised at the McGrath chat after that game, it was the best I'd seen him play in 12 months apart from the slap which very nearly paid off, he wasn't a downgrade on Healy for the first time in yonks.
I think Stander was the only one to play noticeably poorly other than that uncharacteristic mistakes were shared around.

As for a replacement there is a bit of world cup simulation going on. Byrne won't be used so it'll be 31 players in 3 weeks.

Latest posts