• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] Australia vs. Ireland (16/06/2018)

Yeah, last week was the experimental game. I think Conan for Stander, Henderson for Beirne and Cronin for Herring are the changes I'd make to the 23 next week.

I'm surprised at the McGrath chat after that game, it was the best I'd seen him play in 12 months apart from the slap which very nearly paid off, he wasn't a downgrade on Healy for the first time in yonks.
I think Stander was the only one to play noticeably poorly other than that uncharacteristic mistakes were shared around.

As for a replacement there is a bit of world cup simulation going on. Byrne won't be used so it'll be 31 players in 3 weeks.

McGrath was fine, one of his better games this season I thought.

Genias broken arm the result of a tackle off the ball.

I'd like to see some changes made for next week again. It'd be nice to win the test series, but there are others who need minutes in an Ireland jersey and now is the best time to get them. Schmidt won't be willing to take risks in a Six Nations or against the All Blacks.

This is presuming that everyone is available, but I'd like to see something like this for the final test ...

01. Healy
02. Cronin
03. Furlong
04. Beirne
05. Ryan
06. O'Mahony (capt)
07. Leavy
08. Conan
09. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Conway

Bench: Scannell, McGrath, Porter, Henderson, Murphy, Cooney, Carbery, Kearney

We need to develop some depth in some of our spine positions. It'd be nice to see Cronin get a start at 2. That'd give all three hookers on tour an equal opportunity to prove themselves as the #2 option behind Best. We should be trying someone else at 8 also, and Conan is the obvious choice. Kearney has played well lately, but we still need depth behind him in case of injury, so I'd try Conway there in his place next week. Beirne deserves a start at lock, alongside the form lock in the country.

I was considering starting Cooney and/or Carbery too, but if we're serious about winning the test series, we should start Murray and Sexton. If we manage to build a lead in the first half, you could bring the subs on for most of the second half. I'd like to see Cooney get 30 minutes if the opportunity is there.

For the last few summer tours, everybody who toured played at least a few minutes. As such we could see Ross Byrne on the bench next weekend.

This is the squad I think we'll see next week, mixing the strongest possible selection with Schmidt's rotation policy:
Kearney, Conway, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony, Leavy, Conan
Herring, McGrath, Porter, Beirne, Stander, Marmion, Byrne, Earls

Finally, Ireland will never beat the All Blacks with that terrible one up ****. Wales 2.0. What works against the Wobblies will not against the Darkness.

Not to suggest Ireland are easy on the eye but i think you're doing both teams a disservice.

Ireland made a load of linebreaks and there's a lot more nuance to their game than Warrenball. They've a tremendous pack so only a stupid man wouldn't play to his strengths. On Australia? They're defending out wide was aggressive and well organised. They made a few sketchy decisions but for the most part they picked out our runners very well.

Yeah, last week was the experimental game. I think Conan for Stander, Henderson for Beirne and Cronin for Herring are the changes I'd make to the 23 next week.

I'm surprised at the McGrath chat after that game, it was the best I'd seen him play in 12 months apart from the slap which very nearly paid off, he wasn't a downgrade on Healy for the first time in yonks.
I think Stander was the only one to play noticeably poorly other than that uncharacteristic mistakes were shared around.

As for a replacement there is a bit of world cup simulation going on. Byrne won't be used so it'll be 31 players in 3 weeks.

I don't rate Conan for this level tbh with you. He's a great carrier and his work rate has improved over the last two seasons but he's very prone to making poor decisions in defence. Ball watching is a problem. The Pocock try last week encapsulated it. Larmour has Genia. Conan should open his body and drift but he gets sucked in. Pocock comes on a hard line and Conan doesn't lay a finger on him. He did the same thing against Wales in the spring. Sold the men outside him chasing the ball. Its not something i'd be letting him fix on the job at international level. As an aside...i think in a couple of seasons Deegan will take his jersey at Leinster.

Stander is good to go every week it seems.

Finally, Ireland will never beat the All Blacks with that terrible one up ****. Wales 2.0. What works against the Wobblies will not against the Darkness.

The Welsh have changed the way they play. They're playing a nice running game now based off the way the Scarlets play.

Stander is probably due a rest as he seems a bit off But wouldn't say he's been noticeably poor. His stats seems to show he's doing super work. Agreed on Conan though. Doesn't seem up to this level yet and Deegan is probably going to jump him.

Have to disagree on McGrath as I don't think he's been deserving of spot over past season on form. Next week will be interesting on what Schmidt does. Experiment or go for it. Would he throw uncapped guys like Byrne in.
I can't see him drop Stander or POM. Especially if Leavy out. In 2nd row. There competition there it Ryan who seems to stand out though so presume it who fits with him. Have feeling Scannell made major stride today and will be 2 next week but is Cronin 16 or basically not wanted by Schmidt.

Backs. Will 15 change for experiment but hard to see changes in halfback or centre. Maybe Aki for Henshaw

I can see the logic in trying out Aki with Ringrose, so we can get a look at all options. But I don't think Schmidt will go with that option, and I don't think anyone will be surprised by the results if he does. I'm fairly confident the Leinster center partnership is our best option. Schmidt might like to give Farrell another shot when he's back from injury though.

I've thought since the team was announced that Cronin is starting next week. I think Schmidt wants to give all of the hookers a start. If Cronin isn't in the 23 next week then people were correct in assuming that Schmidt doesn't rate him. But talking about that this week was premature.

I can see the logic in trying out Aki with Ringrose, so we can get a look at all options. But I don't think Schmidt will go with that option, and I don't think anyone will be surprised by the results if he does. I'm fairly confident the Leinster center partnership is our best option. Schmidt might like to give Farrell another shot when he's back from injury though.

I've thought since the team was announced that Cronin is starting next week. I think Schmidt wants to give all of the hookers a start. If Cronin isn't in the 23 next week then people were correct in assuming that Schmidt doesn't rate him. But talking about that this week was premature.

I think it's fairly obvious that it isn't that Schmidt doesn't rate him, if it was Schmidt would have gotten rid of him at Leinster and not had him as his #2 hooker ever since he got the Ireland job. If things like scrimmaging or darts were really a big issue he'd be gone before now given that these things have improved this season and we've played plenty of teams with better defensive lineouts and scrums than the Aussies over the years and he's had no problem picking Cronin. It's either discipline or rotation.

I'd disagree with some of the other opinions on Conan. His work rate has always been excellent. He's has the odd lapse of concentration in defence but other than that he's very good. Combined with his ability to pass/offload (and Stander's inability to do so) and his performance in the Pro14 final he definitely deserves a start this tour.

Not to suggest Ireland are easy on the eye but i think you're doing both teams a disservice.

Ireland made a load of linebreaks and there's a lot more nuance to their game than Warrenball. They've a tremendous pack so only a stupid man wouldn't play to his strengths. On Australia? They're defending out wide was aggressive and well organised. They made a few sketchy decisions but for the most part they picked out our runners very well.
Maybe, ill admit ive only seen highlights of the 6 nations. All i saw last night was an Ireland team incapable of crossing the chalk against 15 despite complete gainline and breakdown dominance.

Maybe, ill admit ive only seen highlights of the 6 nations. All i saw last night was an Ireland team incapable of crossing the chalk against 15 despite complete gainline and breakdown dominance.
There's some truth to this. Ireland need to be more clinical.

Despite that, they've had four tries chalked off having crossed the line in the last two weeks. CJ Stander and Kieran Marmion last week, Keith Earls and Jack McGrath yesterday. While those were correct decisions, it shows Ireland are close to getting it right.

hoopers such a dkhead. when korbeites tackle was being looked at and hooper said to the ref "u think he landed on his shoulder?" i LMAO when the ref looked right at him and emphatically said no.

and Ireland negating folau was awesome. every time WBs kicked to Ireland it was a simple turnover because either folau couldn't there because it was a bad kick or the Irish had it covered and folau never had a chance of taking it.

folau's intercept was freakish. almost at will he just ran out of the line and intercepted that ball. awesome, but then he was silenced by the Irish for the rest of the night.

haylettPetty is a dirty player.
the try the irish wing, conway, scored. HP came in late and kneed him in the side, where i'd guess with the force he hit him with would have cracked a rib. unnecessary as the try had already been scored.
5 minutes later conway came off having trouble breathing

haylettPetty is a dirty player.
the try the irish wing, conway, scored. HP came in late and kneed him in the side, where i'd guess with the force he hit him with would have cracked a rib. unnecessary as the try had already been scored.
5 minutes later conway came off having trouble breathing

I'm not saying it's always deliberate but there's been a noticeable trend of people sliding in on a try scorer. Steff Evans ended Fergus McFadden's season doing it a few months ago.

I'm not saying it's always deliberate but there's been a noticeable trend of people sliding in on a try scorer. Steff Evans ended Fergus McFadden's season doing it a few months ago.
i think HP was deliberate in this tho. he was never going to prevent the try but went in knees first anyway.
its not the first time he's been stupid with off the ball play.

Latest posts