• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] New Zealand vs. France (16/06/2018)

Did anyone actually stop watching it though? Everyone who said it was over as a contest continued posting about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought it was a decent game. Weirdly I think ABs would have won by more without the red card. Seemed to put a stick up the French forwards, they battled really hard today.

Did anyone actually stop watching it though? Everyone who said it was over as a contest continued posting about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought it was a decent game. Weirdly I think ABs would have won by more without the red card. Seemed to put a stick up the French forwards, they battled really hard today.

I think it was the late challenge by Cane on Parra that galvanised a performance out of the French. It was gutsy but wow, the amount of stupid errors from Les Bleus was insane.

rant.gif

[RANT]
I am laughing my arse off at all the pissy mooks on this forum who went to bed in a hissy fit, whinging because they thought the contest was over, and missed all that French courage under fire.

You're all just like those wankers who leave the ground early because your team is losing.

Weird I didn't switch off because my team wasn't winning I ended up switching off because I was bored.
The French didn't show courage under fire because the ABs didn't fire, it was a game ruined by an idiotic French fullback, Sam Cane being his usual meathead self and an uninterested ABs team.

The game was boring and it was killed by that red card offence. I'm not blaming the ref, he had a fine game. We however, didn't put the French away.

Bad second half by us. Good second half by the French.

Just watching the replay

Red was expected and so this isn't about the decision made

They NEED to start looking at intent, accidents will happen, it's like I say to the wife, just because something bad has happened doesn't mean someone needs to be blamed! That was 100% an accident

I'm more and more coming to the opinion that the jumper is choosing to put himself in a dangerous position, I think I'd rather see jumping for tha ball banned this this rubbish

Cookie, what would happen if the French guy had taken a knee to the face? Protecting the player in the air over rules protecting the head?

Last edited:
I pretty much stopped watching.

France, please. Don't do anything stupid next game. That Red Card ruined any potential this game had of being good.

Just watching the replay

Red was expected and so this isn't about the decision made

They NEED to start looking at intent, accidents will happen, it's like I say to the wife, just because something bad has happened doesn't mean someone needs to be blamed! That was 100% an accident

I'm more and more coming to the opinion that the jumper is choosing to put himself in a dangerous position, I think I'd rather see jumping for tha ball banned this this rubbish

Cookie, what would happen if the French guy had taken a knee to the face? Protecting the player in the air over rules protecting the head?
What I think should happen in that situation is - if the player on the ground keeps his eyes on the ball the whole time (which can be proven in the replays) then he shouldn't even get a card. Just a penalty. There is no intent to injure, they're only trying to catch the ball. He didn't know Beauden decided to jump in the air to contest the same catch.

This scenario means that you could be innocent and playing fair and for that you could be red carded?!!

Nothing different unless Barrett had stuck his foot out into the oncoming player's face... that didn't happen.

I am 100% in agreement with this. While I know that this was the correct decision under the Laws as they stand...its the Laws I have a problem with.

This probably deserves is thread of it own so I have made one

https://www.therugbyforum.com/posts/908438/

Nothing different unless Barrett had stuck his foot out into the oncoming player's face... that didn't happen.

I am 100% in agreement with this. While I know that this was the correct decision under the Laws as they stand...its the Laws I have a problem with.

This probably deserves is thread of it own so I have made one

https://www.therugbyforum.com/posts/908438/
But isn't any contact with the head a penalty?

Last edited:
But isn't any contact with the head a penalty?

If I tackle you with poor technique and knock myself out when my head strikes your hip, you made contact with my head..... should you be penalised?

You're right in what you say of course, but that doesn't negate the fact that the consequences of these accidents can be serious and that some accidents are avoidable (I find a trip to the toilet before a leave the house a positive step in this regard).

I've been saying this for quite a while now. The current laws encourage players to create dangerous situations by getting up early knowing that they're untouchable according to the laws and in doing so, they have a decent chance of milking a penalty or more. If contests for a ball in the air are so dangerous and impossible to legislate for, I find it amazing that there aren't a queue or herses at every Aussie Rules oval waiting to clear up the latest collateral damage!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...sent-home-to-recover-from-concussion-symptoms

hansen takes the blame for not managing the players workload properly. how cool is that?
gotta agree but to be fair who woulda thought that the first test players couldn't play better in the 2nd test?
still i agree with hansen when he says that maybe he shouldve rested . in hindsight yes maybe moody, franks, sWhitelock and cane couldve used a rest and other players given a run

Worst Test match in living memory. Red card messed with everyone's mind and then the mistakes flowed freely. Even that fat centre Bastardau was starting to look useful by the end - a sure sign that all pace and skill had gone from the match.

If I tackle you with poor technique and knock myself out when my head strikes your hip, you made contact with my head..... should you be penalised?
I'm not arguing that's how it should be, I'm just struggling to see where some of the lines are, if a person is bent over before getting tackled and if contact is made with the head we've seen penalties...the tackler can be in perfect form, the tacklie is the one causing the situation, I think you could argue in the case of this game Fall was showing safer technique by staying lower to the ground and Barrett made an unsafe decision to jump in the air in a congested area

Understand I'm playing devils advocate here, I would prefer to be able to jump but if every poor outcome results in someone having to be blamed then I'd rather see the contest kept

The current laws encourage players to create dangerous situations by getting up early knowing that they're untouchable according to the laws and in doing so, they have a decent chance of milking a penalty or more. If contests for a ball in the air are so dangerous and impossible to legislate for, I find it amazing that there aren't a queue or herses at every Aussie Rules oval waiting to clear up the latest collateral damage!

THIS. There are some horrendous collisions while taking marks in AFL, but given the number times there are jumps to catch the ball, the number of games every weekend, and the 100 min duration of matches, there seems to be relatively few injuries.

I'm not arguing that's how it should be, I'm just struggling to see where some of the lines are, if a person is bent over before getting tackled and if contact is made with the head we've seen penalties...the tackler can be in perfect form, the tacklie is the one causing the situation, I think you could argue in the case of this game Fall was showing safer technique by staying lower to the ground and Barrett made an unsafe decision to jump in the air in a congested area

I agree with you. If you have ever seen the Dan Biggar v Finn Russell yellow card from 2015 (Russell was cited and suspended) then that is a perfect example of what you are talking about here.

(Fast forward 2:05 on the youtube clock)

Dan Biggar charges in at full sprint and with reckless disregard for everyone around him, jumps and and clatters into the hapless Finn Russell, who was slowly shuffling into position to catch the ball, and doesn't see Biggar until the last moment. IMO, Biggar was solely responsible for what happened to him, but Finn Russell got the yellow card and citing.

Not so much the case with the Barrett v Fall situation because, if you watch the video...

...particularly the long distance view beginning at 0:03 on the youtube clock, you see that Barrett had almost come to a stop before he jumped, while Fall had hardly slowed from sprinting and was still running quite fast.

Last edited:

Latest posts