• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 2nd Test] South Africa vs. England (16/06/2018)

So given what's available I suspect EJ will go with the following for this one

Unchanged front row
Launch and itoje 2nd row
Shields, Binny, Curry back row

Young's 9
Ford 10
May 11
Faz 12
Slade 13
Daly 14
Brown 15

After Dalys cock ups I suspect jones will push brown back to 15 for experience, but he will want Daly on the pitch for that big boot and all round pace and attacking threat. Can't see any big changes though.

Would like to see Cips on the bench but I think it unlikely. Still not overly confident regardless of the team, but I always live in hope

Can't see Robshaw being dropped. He should be, but I can't see it. Expecting a back row of 6. Shields, 7. Robshaw, 8. Vunipola. Also think Daly will be persisted with at FB with Brown to remain on the wing. If Jones had thought Daly's cock-ups were down to his being played at fullback then him and Brown would've probably been swapped around part way through the game, yet they stayed in their original positions.

I'd go along with that.

Can't see Robshaw being dropped, Shields stays on the bench, or swaps with Curry. Hopefully we see a lock replace Hughes on the bench.

My team.
Mako
LCD
williams
Itoje
Launch
Shields
Curry
Billy

Youngs
Ford
May
Faz
Slade( not so sure with the 101213 but still)
Solomona
Daly
My bench ( and who eddie will start)
George (will start)
Genge (will start)
Sinkler (will start)
Isekwe
Simmonds (hughes prob but my opinion is he isnt fit enough and simmonds brings more from the bench)
Spencer
Loz
Brown (will start)

Real impact front row from the bench.

Iseikwe deserves the chance.

Simmonds over hughes, hes quicker and with the carriers in the front row he doesnt need to be the main crash ball runner but abit wider hitting gaps with his pace and power. Hughes doesnt bring alot apart from carrier.

Spencer deseves a shot.

Loz. Again deserves a shot. Seems to alway brings an impact from the bench.

Brown. Like to see how the back three works without him, wont happen but still. Risk with solomona tbh.

Agree with the above that Robshaw won't be dropped,
I've got a nasty feeling that Shields will start in the 2nd row with Launchbury on the bench.

That we're even talking about the possibility that Robshaw is going back to 7 is so depressing.

Farrell isn't that good.......sorry he just isn't if we required him at 10 the management would be playing him at 10.

Clearly management know everything and are making all the right descisions because we are on such a winning streak.....

I wouldn't say that his game management is poor, but I certainly agree that he doesn't threaten ball-in-hand anymore; but I think that is mostly down to his support.
He's a small guy, and nothing's likely to change that, I think he's happy taking the ball up himself but only if he's got backup, put a Tuilagi, Eastmond or Curry on his shoulder (ideally a genuine IC AND a genuine 7, but that seems like wishing for unicorns - England or Leicester) to interest the tackler, give him the option of the pop pass and the backup if he's scragged, and I think he'd do it again. Faz doesn't give him that security, whilst someone like Robshaw can't keep up, and neither particularly interest the defence in his own right.

Throw Ford at a tackler on his own, and he's getting rag-dolled and turned over; so he's right not to try.
Put a distraction/backup on his shoulder and he seems much happier to try.

I am still a Ford fan, but I don't deny that he's off-form; but mitigate against that that he's not being helped by his team-mates. Even off-form he's still simply better at playing rugby than Farrell, even with the latter's continued and impressive improvement; and no more compromised an option than Cip.s
All fair points. Obviously he's not going to change physically but I'd love for him to develop a bit of arrogance/confidence and at least attempt to boss a game once in a while.

I discount him mainly on age TBH if we considered him for anything other than injury cover he should of been involved in the setup long before now.
You're right he should have been involved in the setup long before now.

Launchbury is fit
Thank ****, although we can expect to see him playing on the flank the way Eddie's going...or not at all.

I'm genuinely surprised how most on here have Shields starting in their teams, granted he was played out of position but I didn't see anything to suggest that he's a silver bullet for England's problems. If Robshaw is to be dropped (which is unlikely) then why not Wilson starting at 6? Is Armand on tour?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 2nd test is now sold out. Which is great for SA rugby, it shows that the fans are starting to believe again in the team.

Bok team will be announced later today, and reports suggest that Thomas "The Tank" Du Toit will get his first start at TH for the Boks. It will be the Beast's 100th test which is a great accomplishment for the big man. Other reports suggest that Pieter-Steph Du Toit will start at either Lock or Flanker, and that Jesse Kriel might join De Allende in the Centres...

A friend bought a bunch of tickets for this game, sorted accommodation and then told us (after it was bought) that he bought tickets and we needed to come. So in kind of a last minute thing I will drive the five and a half hour drive to Bloemfontein tomorrow, to go and watch this game.
Now the Springboks really have to win ! will be really **** to drive all that way and we lose! I mean there is nothing else to do in Bloemfontein.

Hope our centre combinations gets swapped with Kriel and Esterhuizen, they will run the English off their feet at Bloem, and then PSDT should start as he and Etzebeth are our best locks despite a great debut by RG Snyman.

A friend bought a bunch of tickets for this game, sorted accommodation and then told us (after it was bought) that he bought tickets and we needed to come. So in kind of a last minute thing I will drive the five and a half hour drive to Bloemfontein tomorrow, to go and watch this game.
Now the Springboks really have to win ! will be really **** to drive all that way and we lose! I mean there is nothing else to do in Bloemfontein.

Hope our centre combinations gets swapped with Kriel and Esterhuizen, they will run the English off their feet at Bloem, and then PSDT should start as he and Etzebeth are our best locks despite a great debut by RG Snyman.

My uncle has box seats for this game, and invited me to come, but tomorrow it's the twins 1st birthday, so we are having a big party on Saturday for them. Luckily it's at my parents house, so the guys will be able to braai and watch the game outside while the moms look after the kids...

My uncle has box seats for this game, and invited me to come, but tomorrow it's the twins 1st birthday, so we are having a big party on Saturday for them. Luckily it's at my parents house, so the guys will be able to braai and watch the game outside while the moms look after the kids...
As a Northern irish lad, I have to ask... what is a Braii?

As a Northern irish lad, I have to ask... what is a Braii?
It's like a barbeque over an open fire, either charcoal or wood, gas grills are considered heresy and some people consider charcoal inferior as well.
Usually conducted on a sunny day with several beverages. Spicy sosatie's (kebabs), boerewors (a kind of beef sausage, but that makes a poor comparison) and lamb chops are main stays.

Last edited:
All fair points. Obviously he's not going to change physically but I'd love for him to develop a bit of arrogance/confidence and at least attempt to boss a game once in a while.

You're right he should have been involved in the setup long before now.

Thank ****, although we can expect to see him playing on the flank the way Eddie's going...or not at all.

I'm genuinely surprised how most on here have Shields starting in their teams, granted he was played out of position but I didn't see anything to suggest that he's a silver bullet for England's problems. If Robshaw is to be dropped (which is unlikely) then why not Wilson starting at 6? Is Armand on tour?

I agree maybe shields isnt the solution to englands problems, id have wilson over robshaw hell id have gary graham over robshaw but right now shields is an unknown quantity, we need to give him a start or 2 to see if he steps up and can nail down the place or if he isnt all he's cracked up to be. He's was a Hurracanes captain and called to train with ABs hes a obvious leader and worthy of a shot. We need to try now as its a year out frim the RWC and our long standing 6 and ex captains form has fell off a cliff.

13s another one JJ hasnt been on form for england and with his injury its a perfect time to give slade a shot. Might not be the solution but have to try.

Why would anyone want the penalty machine to start?

Surely if you guys are serious about discipline Subpar Maro has to be dropped?!?

It's a like a barbeque over an open fire, either charcoal or wood, gas grills are considered heresy and some people consider charcoal inferior as well.
Usually conducted on a sunny day with several beverages. Spicy sosatie's (kebabs), boerewors (a kind of beef sausage, but that makes a poor comparison) and lamb chops are main stays.

And they taste f**king great!!

DfpS909U0AAtYlt.jpg:large

Latest posts