• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 3rd Test] Australia vs. Ireland (23/06/2018)

Australia:
15. Israel Folau
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
13. Samu Kerevi
12. Kurtley Beale
11. Marika Koroibete
10. Bernard Foley
9. Nick Phipps
1. Scott Sio
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Izack Rodda
5. Adam Coleman
6. Lukhan Tui
7. Michael Hooper (captain)
8. David Pocock
Replacements:
16. Tolu Latu
17. Allan Alaalatoa
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Rob Simmons
20. Ned Hanigan
21. Pete Samu
22. Joe Powell
23. Reece Hodge

I don't think this side looks great either. Pocock at 8 requires him to focus on things he's not the best in the world at and that front five is still no real match for ours. Their bench is horrible from a tactical point of view.

Gauzere bring the ref played a hand in Conan over Murphy I imagine, he'll be Al lot stricter on the jackal than the SH guys so the breakdown will likely be less of a focus this week.

Could be worth a punt on Australia with that Irish midfield, it was a liability in the first

Ringrose is a huge huge loss.

+1

If Farrell were coming in, it might not be felt so badly. But as is, is pretty grim.

Expect many crash balls in midfield and very little in the way of guile in running angles - as long as Henshaw doesn't try to shoot on every other phase!

Henshaw's decisions to shoot were generally correct in the first test, it was the execution that let him down.

Henshaw's decisions to shoot were generally correct in the first test, it was the execution that let him down.

Which (for shooting) - makes them the wrong decision!

If you shoot and don't get, your buddies are royally f**ked.
If you drift and accept there is numbers overload, your putting pressure on the opposition to still get it right and giving the drift a chance.

Which (for shooting) - makes them the wrong decision!

If you shoot and don't get, your buddies are royally f**ked.
If you drift and accept there is numbers overload, your putting pressure on the opposition to still get it right and giving the drift a chance.

Given no player is psychic except maybe BO'D I don't think poor execution makes it the wrong decision. His thought process was right, usually Henshaw will nail those tackles it's poor outcome not poor decision making. Him making the same decision on Saturday and nailing Beale in the backfield winning a turnover and dotting down under the posts doesn't make his decision way better than the one from the first test. Rugby isn't played with hindsight.
There's inherent risks with shooting but there's a reason players are given the license to do it.

Interesting to here Byrne has been training at 12 to offer some more versatility off the bench.

Think this team shows that people were far too quick to say Schmidt doesn't rate Cronin or Conan.

Given no player is psychic except maybe BO'D I don't think poor execution makes it the wrong decision. His thought process was right, usually Henshaw will nail those tackles it's poor outcome not poor decision making. Him making the same decision on Saturday and nailing Beale in the backfield winning a turnover and dotting down under the posts doesn't make his decision way better than the one from the first test.

Yes it does!

It wasn't as if he was close to making the tackles in the first test, he was full seconds off in timing.

No game is played in hindsight, but a bad decision is a bad decision. If he'd tried to make a long pass and didn't quite pull it off, that can be bad execution.

But being yards short of the tackle is not execution. Usain Bolt would hardly make the ground up!

Yes it does!

It wasn't as if he was close to making the tackles in the first test, he was full seconds off in timing.

Eh? My memory is a bit patchy but the one that sticks out is where Beale literally stepped out of the tackle and gave the pass, he had hands on and didn't complete the tackle that's not full seconds off.

Edit: watching back highlights now.

The one for the first try was bad. He reacted too late but a shoot was probably the right decision over the drift given who was inside Henshaw and the numbers Aus had. The disallowed try and Beale's from last week show how dangerous they are against a drift defence.

Last edited:
Changes make us weaker but not dramatically so. As has been mentioned i still think we're better than them in the tight 5 and thats the winning of the game for me.

Interested to see how Conan goes not sure about him but would love to see a bi performance from him

Our lineout looks very nervous. Scannell a bit uncertain with throws and jumpers not fully sure

Two illegal turnovers form Pocock, first he was part of the tackle, second he's never on his feet. Both called from the sideline moron refs of the last two weeks. Sanzaar refs doing everything they can to give this game to Aus.

Latest posts