• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 3rd Test] Australia vs. Ireland (23/06/2018)

Is that really true though?

Sun, 4 Feb

France 13
Ireland 15

Mon, 12 Feb

Scotland 32
France 26

Sat, 24 Feb

France 34
Italy 17

Sun, 11 Mar

France 22
England 16

Sun, 18 Mar
Wales 14
France 13

Sat, 9 June
All Blacks 52
France

Sat,16 June
All Blacks 26
France

Sat, 23 June
All Blacks 49
France

a8oKM83_460s.jpg

This is called a 'rush defence'. A brilliant new ploy brought down from the northern hemisphere whereby the refs stop enforcing the offside line because who can be bothered with that bullshit anyway?

Well played Ireland. I thought we had you on the ropes at the end there but we couldn't convert. Best team won.

I assume your being sarcastic as the rush defence has been around a while now, my point is that Ireland seem to push the boundary on what is deemed offside 'even' further than the other nations who employ the system.

For mine, even if it did touch him, it went into touch closer to the Irish goal-line than where it was passed from, so it didn't go forward from the Irish player, so not even a knock on anyway.
True but as we can agree it was grasping at straws

Is that really true though?

Sun, 4 Feb

France 13
Ireland 15

Mon, 12 Feb

Scotland 32
France 26

Sat, 24 Feb

France 34
Italy 17

Sun, 11 Mar

France 22
England 16

Sun, 18 Mar
Wales 14
France 13

Sat, 9 June
All Blacks 52
France

Sat,16 June
All Blacks 26
France

Sat, 23 June
All Blacks 49
France
Thats the past!

We beat France but Ireland is the kingpin of the north. I heard that France didn't even bring down some of their top players.

I don't think we're levels above Australia or South Africa. We may have thrashed both countries last year but the next time we played them, we we're just a bit better than them, and in one game, we lost.

Pocock just posted on Facebook that when he toured Ireland with Australia Schoolboys in 2005 they were all paired up with local players families to stay with during the trip.
Turns out his was Connor Murray's family! There's a photo of them together as kids.
Crazy

Pocock just posted on Facebook that when he toured Ireland with Australia Schoolboys in 2005 they were all paired up with local players families to stay with during the trip.
Turns out his was Connor Murray's family! There's a photo of them together as kids.
Crazy

I had some lads stay with me last time they came. One lad is sub hooker for the Reds and the other plays for the Sunwolves I think. I've done **** all and Aer Lingus lost the shorts they gave me.

Great clips online of that clown that had yer all English being ridiculed last night.
Lads saying it bit rich that an Aus is saying that seeing as they under the Commonwealth still, have Union Jack on flag, Queen on money and are still awful whiners and losers. He was safely put back in his box it seems

Great clips online of that clown that had yer all English being ridiculed last night.
Lads saying it bit rich that an Aus is saying that seeing as they under the Commonwealth still, have Union Jack on flag, Queen on money and are still awful whiners and losers. He was safely put back in his box it seems

It's bantz we all know that you celts came from Wales and Cornwall.

Ah he was only looking for a rise, me and the beor had a good laugh ourselves!

I loved this match, I loved this series. Australia-Ireland are always such great games. We are long lost twins, separated at birth, raised in different hemispheres. I was on the skeptical-of-Conan brigade but I thought he did well this match; he really does offer something very different to Stander however it's not to say it's the better option. Both bring something different and it's nice to be able to mix and match. However that said this was Stander's best game all season and it was at 6.

Regardless of his best position I'm glad the anti-Stander fools have been proven wrong; was sick of (mainly Leinster fans) people saying POM and CJ haven't had a good game in ages, are past it, should be dropped, etc etc. A backrow of PoM, SoB and Stander is going to be absolutely brutal. Can't wait for the Kiwis to come to Ireland. All that's left on the Irish rugby/Joe Schmidt checklist is a home win against the ABs and a WC semi final, dare we dream...

Ah he was only looking for a rise, me and the beor had a good laugh ourselves!

I loved this match, I loved this series. Australia-Ireland are always such great games. We are long lost twins, separated at birth, raised in different hemispheres. I was on the skeptical-of-Conan brigade but I thought he did well this match; he really does offer something very different to Stander however it's not to say it's the better option. Both bring something different and it's nice to be able to mix and match. However that said this was Stander's best game all season and it was at 6.

Regardless of his best position I'm glad the anti-Stander fools have been proven wrong; was sick of (mainly Leinster fans) people saying POM and CJ haven't had a good game in ages, are past it, should be dropped, etc etc. A backrow of PoM, SoB and Stander is going to be absolutely brutal. Can't wait for the Kiwis to come to Ireland. All that's left on the Irish rugby/Joe Schmidt checklist is a home win against the ABs and a WC semi final, dare we dream...

I haven't heard any Leinster fans saying this. All clubs have fools. I remember Munster fans calling for Joe's head after 2 games! Just ignore that type of nonsense

I haven't heard any Leinster fans saying this. All clubs have fools. I remember Munster fans calling for Joe's head after 2 games! Just ignore that type of nonsense
In fairness there was alot of Leinster fans (even some now) who would say CJ is not international standard and POM is rubbish. But as you say every club has them. Munster have few who'd say Larmour is not deserving or Leavy is bit overrated.
Obviously they make them based on 1 slip up etc. As you say best thing is ignore and move on.

Back on game yesterday I know there was some who thought CJ was off in test 2 but his stats over the 3 games in both defensive duties and carries were crazy. Conan had huge game defensively too and well POM is the best defensive lineout jumper in the world by a bit I think Murray Kinsella said too based on stats

In fairness there was alot of Leinster fans (even some now) who would say CJ is not international standard and POM is rubbish. But as you say every club has them. Munster have few who'd say Larmour is not deserving or Leavy is bit overrated.
Obviously they make them based on 1 slip up etc. As you say best thing is ignore and move on.

Back on game yesterday I know there was some who thought CJ was off in test 2 but his stats over the 3 games in both defensive duties and carries were crazy. Conan had huge game defensively too and well POM is the best defensive lineout jumper in the world by a bit I think Murray Kinsella said too based on stats
Well anyone who thinks CJ or POM are not up to scratch would want their head examined or else clearly don't understand the game. CJ's carrying stays are insane in almost every game he plays and I'm not even going to waste time justifying POM's inclusion. I've never heard any fans in person expressing these views. Maybe there are keyboard warriors on the42 but that's not a good barometer of any fan base.

We are ridiculously well stocked in the backrow. To think SOB, Leavy and VDF can come back to add to competition for places is a mouth watering prospect. I had doubts about Conan's ability to step up to this level but he acquitted himself brilliantly yesterday.

Well anyone who thinks CJ or POM are not up to scratch would want their head examined or else clearly don't understand the game. CJ's carrying stays are insane in almost every game he plays and I'm not even going to waste time justifying POM's inclusion. I've never heard any fans in person expressing these views. Maybe there are keyboard warriors on the42 but that's not a good barometer of any fan base.

We are ridiculously well stocked in the backrow. To think SOB, Leavy and VDF can come back to add to competition for places is a mouth watering prospect. I had doubts about Conan's ability to step up to this level but he acquitted himself brilliantly yesterday.
On this I think 1 point I'd make and it may be a slight bit controversial is Sean O'Brien will have to really earn his Jersey back. At 6 POM and CJ have shown they are well able their. At 7 Leavy and Jordi have really stepped up too. Add in his lack of time over past 6 months or so and it will be interesting. Van Der Flier would also need to have big performances to earn Leinster Jersey back off Leavy. But as you say depth is there. Conan was superb but still have feeling Deegan will overtake him this coming season.

On this I think 1 point I'd make and it may be a slight bit controversial is Sean O'Brien will have to really earn his Jersey back. At 6 POM and CJ have shown they are well able their. At 7 Leavy and Jordi have really stepped up too. Add in his lack of time over past 6 months or so and it will be interesting. Van Der Flier would also need to have big performances to earn Leinster Jersey back off Leavy. But as you say depth is there. Conan was superb but still have feeling Deegan will overtake him this coming season.
Agree on all those points. Don't think VDF will be even near a starter but it's great to know he's there. Think Deegan will overtake Conan too. Exciting to see how Caelan Doris develops also. On SOB, while I agree with you that he might struggle to get his jersey back, if he gets back to playing his best rugby, I don't see how he could be left out. On form he has been our best back row forward in my opinion. It remains to be seen whether he can get back to that level.

Back row is possibly the most attritional position on the pitch. How often did we even have to choose between PO'M, Stander, S'OB and Heaslip for example?

Back row is possibly the most attritional position on the pitch. How often did we even have to choose between PO'M, Stander, S'OB and Heaslip for example?
This is true. Very rare that they are all available.
@Laighin Agreed on SOB point made to IF he is back on form it's hard to leave him out. But that is the point. I want him to be selected on that and not on merits of 2 years ago. And I'm not saying he can't or won't get back on form just want him there before rest.
But I think at moment our best Backrow is POM Leavy Stander. But well form dictates that. And I've no fear that will change again over 12 months.

This is true. Very rare that they are all available.
@Laighin Agreed on SOB point made to IF he is back on form it's hard to leave him out. But that is the point. I want him to be selected on that and not on merits of 2 years ago. And I'm not saying he can't or won't get back on form just want him there before rest.
But I think at moment our best Backrow is POM Leavy Stander. But well form dictates that. And I've no fear that will change again over 12 months.
I don't think it's Joe's style to select players who don't deserve it. People might bang on about Kearney but for the most part he has repaid Joe's faith in him. Regarding SOB though, some players are so good that you have to give them a chance to play their way back into form. He might have to do that back at Leinster first. I'm confident that if he can make a full return fom injury he'll force his way back in. I think you're spot on about our current best backrow though.

I don't think it's Joe's style to select players who don't deserve it. People might bang on about Kearney but for the most part he has repaid Joe's faith in him. Regarding SOB though, some players are so good that you have to give them a chance to play their way back into form. He might have to do that back at Leinster first. I'm confident that if he can make a full return fom injury he'll force his way back in. I think you're spot on about our current best backrow though.
Oh it's not saying Schmidt would rush him in just that competition is so fierce now any lad getting in should have earned Jersey. Some lads take 10 games to get back up to speed. Others take 1 game. But even now Larmour has shown he will compete with RK now too. Plenty of positives from this tour before even considering the result

Latest posts