• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 3rd Test] New Zealand vs. France (23/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
Hc45KkY.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 09:35 (CAT, GMT+2)

Would like to see the ABs mix it up a bit this week with the series in the bag. Something like:
1. Tu'inifuafe - think Moody could do with a rest.
2. Taylor
3. Tu'ungfasi - Franks also looks a bit knackered
4. Whitelock (c)
5. Barrett
6. Fifita - Whitelock hasn't impressed me massively and I'd like to see what Squire could do with a game at 8.
7. Savea - Cane needs a rest.
8. Squire (may be too inexperienced a back row)
9. Smith
10. Mo'unga - Don't see DMac as a starting 10.
11. Naholo - Give him a chance and Ioane a rest.
12. Laumape - Give him a chance to show what he can do as a starter and give Crottu a rest.
13. ALB
14. Smith
15. DMac

16. Harris
17. Moody
18. JTA
19. Taufua - Fifta as on-field lock cover
20. Whitelock
21. The new one, not gonna butcher the spelling
22. Barrett - DMac on-field 10 cover
23. Ioane

NMS? Would like to see him start at 14. He just adds something different to the AB's back 3.

surely under the dome it a time to see Smith at 15 and Naholo at 14?

Mo'unga starting would be good to see

Would like to see the ABs mix it up a bit this week with the series in the bag. Something like:
1. Tu'inukuafe - think Moody could do with a rest.
2. Taylor
3. Tu'ungafasi - Franks also looks a bit knackered
4. Whitelock (c)
5. Barrett, keep growing this guy as he's making big improvements
6. frizell
7. Savea - Cane needs a rest.
8. Whitelock
9. TJ
10. Little Mac, just for the experience, not because he's better than mounga yet
11. Naholo - Give him a chance and Ioane a rest.
12. SBW
13. Crotty
14. NMS
15. J Barret, keep giving him opportunities at this level

16. coltman
17. Moody
18. franks
19. Franklin
20. Todd
21. Triple T
22. Mounga
23. Goodhue
looks like fifita, squire, taurus all injured. nathan harris on paternal leave and SBW back. given they want to rotate things, but hopefully still win i've made some adjustments above.

looks like fifita, squire, taurus all injured. nathan harris on paternal leave and SBW back. given they want to rotate things, but hopefully still win i've made some adjustments above.
To me that looks a bit too experimental. Obviously the ABs are much better than France, but the last 2 games have shown that France are able to hold in there so that much rotation may be a risk.

That's a very inexperienced back row, maybe it'd be worth keeping Cane in there, despite the fact that he could do with a rest. Maybe even give Ardie a run at 6 as well. Frizell looks good but I don't think he's near the standard of the likes of Cane, Squire, Read etc, and at 24 it's not like he's got a ton of improvement left in him either. I'd much rather have seen Akira in the squad, this would be a good game to give him a run out.

Also don't think Perenara should start. He had a shocker last week and just doesn't seem like a starter. Much better as an impact sub.

Beyond that it all looks good; I think I'd still want to start one of Laumape or ALB in the centres as we already know what SBW and Crotty offer so it'd be good to see ALB and Laumape really battle it out for the bench spot, but that's small decision and the experienced heads may be needed.

Shannon Frizzel is a killer, probably one of the most gifted ball runners in the game of rugby on the planet today. The guy could be a very special All Black. Has more athletic ability than any other All Black forward. They probably did not want to debut him so soon as he needs to learn the AB systems but he has been compared to the great Jerry Collins and when Hansen say's that this guy is a Jerry Collins style inforcer I think he is destined for plenty of game time in the AB's Jersey.

I will go as far to say it would not surprise me at all if he was starting come finals time at the rugby world cup next year or at at the very least on the bench.

If I was still refereeing at any senior level this coming weekend, I would be very nervous about it. After the overturning of the red card from last week, the silence thus far from World Rugby has been deafening... we have a set of guidelines which we need to follow, but this recent ruling by the Judiciary, aside from throwing Angus Gardner under the bus, appears to have thrown all the guidelines out of the window... or has it?

Damn World Rugby; damn them all to hell!

To me that looks a bit too experimental. Obviously the ABs are much better than France, but the last 2 games have shown that France are able to hold in there so that much rotation may be a risk.

That's a very inexperienced back row, maybe it'd be worth keeping Cane in there, despite the fact that he could do with a rest. Maybe even give Ardie a run at 6 as well. Frizell looks good but I don't think he's near the standard of the likes of Cane, Squire, Read etc, and at 24 it's not like he's got a ton of improvement left in him either. I'd much rather have seen Akira in the squad, this would be a good game to give him a run out.

Also don't think Perenara should start. He had a shocker last week and just doesn't seem like a starter. Much better as an impact sub.

Beyond that it all looks good; I think I'd still want to start one of Laumape or ALB in the centres as we already know what SBW and Crotty offer so it'd be good to see ALB and Laumape really battle it out for the bench spot, but that's small decision and the experienced heads may be needed.

i agree that the all blacks aren't as good as making bucket loads of changes, but in reality a lot are forced, and others aren't a major loss.

have been thinking about it today, and do thin starting frizzle is a bad idea. but hansen has admitted that expecting guys like cane to back up two tests in a row when they aren't match fit was a bad call, so i don't think he'll start a third, and if he's not starting he may well be left out altogether. ardie has never played 6 as far as i can recall, but has played 8 and luke whitelock could cover 6. only problem with that combo is hansen likes only having one of the back 5 that isn't a strong line out option. they still might do it though.

I too would have prepared akira in the squad. it seems odd to me that they can claim he isn't ready but then pick frizzle. akira has made massive improvements in the last year, he basically carries the blues (not that he is carrying them far haha, but still)

the rationale for crotty sbw partnership is really to play little mac wiht an experienced midfield.

TJ can start, he starts for the Hurricanes and is a proven leader for them. i also think aaron smith had a shocker, and maybe part of what the all blacks need is to play guys who are a bit more desperate for their spot.

Well I hope so. Because so far I think he's just ok. I would've picked others over him but I haven't watched a full Highlanders game this year to see what to make of him.

He is extremely dynamic and offers a great point of difference to the pack. Not sure many big bodies in international rugby are as dynamic as this guy. If he can learn the AB's system of doing things and maintain his gifted ball running then I think he will deliver in spades and will be a nightmare to mark up against.

teams have been named

All Blacks: 1. Joe Moody 2. Codie Taylor 3. Owen Franks 4. Sam Whitelock (C) 5. Scott Barrett 6. Shannon Frizell* 7. Ardie Savea 8. Luke Whitelock 9. Aaron Smith 10. Damian McKenzie 11. Rieko Ioane 12. Sonny Bill Williams 13. Jack Goodhue* 14. Waisake Naholo 15. Ben Smith
Reserves: 16. Liam Coltman, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Ofa Tuungafasi, 19. Jackson Hemopo*, 20. Matt Todd, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Richie Mo'unga*, 23. Jordie Barrett

France: 1.Dany Priso, 2.Camille Chat, 3.Uini Atonio, 4.Bernard le Roux, 5.Yoann Maestri, 6.Mathieu Babillot, 7.Kevin Gourdon, 8.Kelian Galletier, 9.Morgan Parra (captain), 10.Anthony Belleau, 11.Gael Fickou, 12.Wesley Fofana, 13.Remi Lamerat, 14.Teddy Thomas, 15.Benjamin Fall.
Reserves: 16.Adrien Pelissie, 17.Cyril Baille, 18.Cedate Gomes Sa, 19.Felix Lambey, 20.Alexandre Lapandry, 21.Baptiste Serin, 22.Jules Plisson, 23.Maxime Medard.

teams have been named

All Blacks: 1. Joe Moody 2. Codie Taylor 3. Owen Franks 4. Sam Whitelock (C) 5. Scott Barrett 6. Shannon Frizell* 7. Ardie Savea 8. Luke Whitelock 9. Aaron Smith 10. Damian McKenzie 11. Rieko Ioane 12. Sonny Bill Williams 13. Jack Goodhue* 14. Waisake Naholo 15. Ben Smith
Reserves: 16. Liam Coltman, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Ofa Tuungafasi, 19. Jackson Hemopo*, 20. Matt Todd, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Richie Mo'unga*, 23. Jordie Barrett

France: 1.Dany Priso, 2.Camille Chat, 3.Uini Atonio, 4.Bernard le Roux, 5.Yoann Maestri, 6.Mathieu Babillot, 7.Kevin Gourdon, 8.Kelian Galletier, 9.Morgan Parra (captain), 10.Anthony Belleau, 11.Gael Fickou, 12.Wesley Fofana, 13.Remi Lamerat, 14.Teddy Thomas, 15.Benjamin Fall.
Reserves: 16.Adrien Pelissie, 17.Cyril Baille, 18.Cedate Gomes Sa, 19.Felix Lambey, 20.Alexandre Lapandry, 21.Baptiste Serin, 22.Jules Plisson, 23.Maxime Medard.

drained it

the all blacks one is OK. probably only 2 to 4 players off being a full-strength from what is available. I'm going to have to admit I want goodhue not to play too well, because i'm a big fan of ALB who could well lose his place in the pecking order because he hasn't been performing as well as he can and there seems to be a lot of love for goodhue.

in saying how much i like ALB I actually would have preferred to see a SBW crotty partnership so that little mac had the opportunity to play with an experienced combo. it's unfortunate little mac didn't play at the same time as nonu and smith to be honest because it would ease his introduction to 10 if he had some playmaking midfielders, and not the sort ALB is as ALB and little mac are as unpredictable as each other resulting in getting themselves tangled up too often. cruden when starting for the canes and all blacks had it really easy fro instance, was able to share playmaking roles while his team was learning his individual style. guys whose style ismore typical like mounga don't need that, they can slot straight in to any team.

teams have been named

This is our best back line. Beauden Barrett is the only one missing. Mean team.

I think the French players' minds will already be on the long trip home and the beach. This test could be a total blow out.

I think the French players' minds will already be on the long trip home and the beach. This test could be a total blow out.
i think they'll be ****** that they were competitive with 14 men and they'll come out firing. if the all blacks can get a gap on the score early it might become too much for the french emotions to handle, then it will be a blowout. but if they can stay in it until halftime they're a chance.

Obviously the ABs are much better than France, but the last 2 games have shown that France are able to hold in there so that much rotation may be a risk.
They're a tier 2 team according to Rugbyrama who ran a poll 'are les Bleus a tier 2 team?'. And this is from a normally pro-union media...

The medias now are officially taking the mick. And in Toulouse they're showing the Fifa World Cup.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/test...s-en-deuxieme-division_sto6803437/story.shtml

NZ to sleepwalk their way past the Brunel brigade or spank them hard. I'd go for the latter.

Latest posts