• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 3rd Test] New Zealand vs. France (23/06/2018)

Shame about this game, Lacey is usally an amazing ref and I always respect him and love it when he is reffing my teams...............
Even if he had a good game, we still would've won IMO. The best team won.

Oh ok. I don't remember seeing him before.

I cant believe he gave that try to DMac and then so did the TMO.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about, is there any indication that he would have made the tackle anyway.
It looked to me that there was at least a couple of metres of separation and DMac was already past him anyway, as has been mentioned the ref has to be somewhere near play so there is always the chance of contact.

I would feel differently if I thought that there was a chance he was going to make the tackle but in this case I am not convinced.

The French have done a good job on this tour of garnering sympathy on the back of some bad referee calls and crap All Black play but last night's and the week before refereeing calls were the right ones.

I cant believe he gave that try to DMac and then so did the TMO.
I, can. It would have been making rules up to over turn it. He can only rule a scrum if the ball or ball carrier touches the ref, not a defender. Bit of a strange quirk in the rules. On the sky nz feed; In-game commentators oblivious to this but the half time studio guys a bit more clued up (with more time to figure it out).

Although I'm not sure Lacey knew this himself ..... with the question he asked the TMO?

If French, I'd be gutted he got in the way.

Although Serin was metres away from the scrum and hence offside anyway defending at flyhalf inside the 5m, if Serin was onside he probably wouldn't have been touched.

Edit. Ah, seen this is covered in previous page. I just joined last page of the thread.

Three games. Three poor, boring games. All three games with notable reffing errors.

Game 1; The French Yellow Card.
Game 2; The French Red Card.
Game 3; The Damien McKenzie Try.

Would anyone have actually been annoyed if he had just called it back and reset the scrum? Rule book be damned

I think anyone who complained if he had would be laughed off pretty quickly, fairness should win out

Would anyone have actually been annoyed if he had just called it back and reset the scrum? Rule book be damned
No, I wouldn't have. I confess that is what I thought would happen.

But then I get annoyed at the metre wide goal posts blocking defenders and people scoring tries against the base of the posts.

I'd have no objection to a rule on referees and goal posts blocking tacklers resulting in a scrum.

I think anyone who complained if he had would be laughed off pretty quickly, fairness should win out

DMac probably would have been ****** off having a legitimate try dismissed and about 50% of New Zealand would have also had we lost by 6 points or less.

I find it amusing that ever since organised sport first appeared the opposition has moaned about bias refereeing and dodgy rule interpretations, we now seem to be in a new position over the last two weeks where we moan about refereeing following the rules to the letter with spot on interpretation.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about, is there any indication that he would have made the tackle anyway.
It looked to me that there was at least a couple of metres of separation and DMac was already past him anyway, as has been mentioned the ref has to be somewhere near play so there is always the chance of contact.

I would feel differently if I thought that there was a chance he was going to make the tackle but in this case I am not convinced.

The French have done a good job on this tour of garnering sympathy on the back of some bad referee calls and crap All Black play but last night's and the week before refereeing calls were the right ones.
The ref was in the way of the French halfback.

I can't blame the ref but I can??...that's what I think of it anyway.

You have a good point because I too think a try would've been scored anyway with the French halfback being drawn by Smith but we'll that's just conjecture.

...On the sky nz feed; In-game commentators oblivious to this but the half time studio guys a bit more clued up (with more time to figure it out)...
Ahh...I was just listening to Justin Marshall and I agreed with him too. At first glance it looked like a simple try but then Justin butted in.

I see now.

DMac probably would have been ****** off having a legitimate try dismissed and about 50% of New Zealand would have also had we lost by 6 points or less.

I find it amusing that ever since organised sport first appeared the opposition has moaned about bias refereeing and dodgy rule interpretations, we now seem to be in a new position over the last two weeks where we moan about refereeing following the rules to the letter with spot on interpretation.

I think we're finally In a situation where the rules have been played with so much some of them don't actually make sense abjectively, we're looking at these calls and just thinking "that doesn't feel right "

I think we're finally In a situation where the rules have been played with so much some of them don't actually make sense abjectively, we're looking at these calls and just thinking "that doesn't feel right "

The problem I have here is that it is only being looked at from a French point of view but the other side of the coin is why should New Zealand be penalised for an action entirely out of their control and didn't even involve an All Black.

As I see it someone is getting the short end of the stick and can argue that the rules "don't feel right".

His match observer. He would probably have ripped Lacy a new one.

Referees are answerable to their bosses when they make egregious Law errors, and overturning that try would have been one.

The reality is that the try was going to scored anyway, either by DMac or Aaron Smith. The gap between DMac and Serin was a lot bigger than it looks from the live angle. This is apparent in the end-on view not which was not shown in the broadcast but was shown at the half time break when the Sky TV analysis team were discussing it.

Serin was trying to cover both DMac and Smith (remember the old saying "The man who chases two rabbits, catches neither"?) Even if he could have got closer to Dmac before the pass was made, that would put him further from Smith, and no-one was covering him (the French OS flanker was still on the scrum) so he could simply have kept the ball and scored himself.

Lacey was right in his decision to award the try, it's still crap refereeing for other reasons though and the French are justified in feeling hard done by.

Lacey was right in his decision to award the try, it's still crap refereeing for other reasons though and the French are justified in feeling hard done by.
but very few here think we were hard done by.
Every time the union charade have lost a game in this series they have been victimised by the medias who blame the ref on their behalf. None of these excuses paper over the union's own crassness though. They were comprehensively outclassed in every facet of the game.

The union goose is cooked anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts