• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018] Argentina vs. Wales (16/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

77TMMVD.png
j7lEIMe.png
GP48PUg.png

Venue: Estadio Brigadier Estanislao López
Time: 21:45 (CAT, GMT+2)

There has to be a response from Argentina after last game, so I would select a slightly more experienced pack, however there is still a few players I would like to see get a chance against Argentina.

Amos, Adams, Watkins, Parkes, North, Patchell, Williams, Evans, Dee, Lee, Seb Davies, Hill, Wainright, Jenkins, Moriarty

Elias, Smith, Lewis, Turnbull, J Davies, G Davies, Anscombe, S Williams

it was a very disappointing game from the pumas. they had no plan b. its really hard to know how they will respond, but surely they can find a plan b over a week. if wales snuffs that out i don't see the pumas adjusting based on what we saw this weekend. so i reckon the pumas will be in it for the first half, then wales will adapt and win it again.

I'd select the following side if I were Gatland:

01 Rob Evans.
02 Ryan Elias. Would be good to see how Elias goes as a starter.
03 Dillon Lewis. We know exactly what both Lee and Francis offer, so may as well see if Lewis can back-up his impressive performance in the 1st test.
04 Seb Davies. Deserves a chance in his proper position.
05 Adam Beard. I'd like to see if he can back-up his fine display in the 1st test, but understand that maybe retaining Hill, or even bringing back Bradley Davies for this one could make sense.
06 Ellis Jenkins. Played plenty at 6 for the Blues, and the dual openside arrangement could put even more pressure on the Pumas in the tackle area.
07 James Davies. Deserves to go again after such a fine performance.
08 Ross Moriarty.

09 Tomos Williams. Looks good v SA, would love to see him get another chance. Gatland name checked Aled Davies as a possible starter though.
10 Rhys Patchell. All round game is far superior than Anscombes imo. If Gatland has any sense, he'll develop Patchell as our starting 10 for the WC, with Anscombe used as an impact sub.
11 Josh Adams. Should have done more with his clean break in the second half, but looked good on the whole. Prydie a very similar player, so no issues if he were to get the nod.
12 Hadleigh Parkes. A little worried that he's our only real option at 12, but I'd still start him for this game.
13 Owen Watkin. Maybe more of a 12 going forwards, but could really benefit from playing alongside Hadleigh. Thought Scott Williams had a mixed game in the 1st test.
14 George North.
15 Halam Amos. Needs to improve his aerial game and decision making on the counter, but showing promising signs with his attaching play from deep.

16 Eliot Dee
17 Nicky Smith
18 Samson Lee/Tomas Francis.
19 Cory Hill
20 Aaron Wainwright
21 Gareth Davies
22 Gareth Anscombe
23 Scott Williams

Would really like to see Jenkins and J Davies combine in the back row for this test! Jaco Peyper is reffing though, so will be interesting to see if the style of reffing at the breakdown will be different. If he allows a proper contest, then a Jenkins/J Davies partnership will definitely be in their element and could prove decisive.

Other than that, would be keen to see Tomos Williams involved, preferably starting, but am a fan of the idea of him coming off the bench to cause havoc in the last 20 mins or so.

Part of me would like to see Patch and Anscombe in the starting line up to try out the dual 10 - 15 playmaker style that's worked well for the Blues/Scarlets. Probably too risky though considering they only decided to bring two 10s!

I'm not sure about a Jenkins and Davies flank partnership, seems a bit too lightweight for a test match to me. You would have to play at a thousand miles an hour to make the most of it, also would probably have to pick Brad Davies in the row to get some of the bulk back.

Wales side for the second test:

Wales: Hallam Amos; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Owen Watkin, George North; Rhys Patchell, Aled Davies; Rob Evans, Ryan Elias, Thomas Francis, Adam Beard, Cory Hill (capt), Ellis Jenkins, James Davies, Ross Moriarty.

Replacements: Elliott Dee, Nicky Smith, Dillon Lewis, Bradley Davies, Josh Turnbull, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Tom Prydie.

Reasonably happy with that. Excited to see Jenkins and Davies on the flanks. Would have liked to see Seb Davies get an opportunity at lock, even if it was off the bench. Would have also liked to have seen another start for Tomos Williams, but he'll get a good run-out off the bench, so that's fine. Big match for Owen Watkin, needs to step it up in the absence of Parkes.

Agree with everything Dullonien says, it's a bit of a joke how Seb Davies has again not been given a run in his actual position. I'd like to see beard kick on from his performance last week and really get involved again.

The only change in the starting XV is the number 9 Martín Landajo.

DfrBX3oWAAAt-or.jpg

He suffered a torn ligament in his left knee. Will be out for six months until autumn.

Glad to see Matera is ok.
My number one priority, again, is not picking up injuries.

FFS first football now this dumbfucks. It`s almost as if they want the June internationals gone

Never seen anyone sink in a rear naked choke in rugby before, Moriarty absolutely lost the plot there

He'll likely get a ban for that as well,
83rd minute in a game they've won at a canter and he's gonna miss the start of the season at his new club

Great win overall and some ranking points , not sure if that win puts us top 4 now ? Couple of standouts , josh Adams had a stormer and Ryan Elias , really impressed with the set piece never seen us so secure at the lineout and the driving maul worked to great effect . Front row fronted up very impressive against the most dominant scrummaging side in the world . Overall excellent !

Was looking for a new man-crush what with Tadhg Byrne heading back to Ireland... there's been a couple of lads putting their hands up for the honour but the votes have been tallied... and Ross Moriarty come on down!

Great win overall and some ranking points , not sure if that win puts us top 4 now ? Couple of standouts , josh Adams had a stormer and Ryan Elias , really impressed with the set piece never seen us so secure at the lineout and the driving maul worked to great effect . Front row fronted up very impressive against the most dominant scrummaging side in the world . Overall excellent !

Wales are now 3rd in the world I think.

Latest posts