• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Junior All Blacks involved in rape allegation.

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
CAPE TOWN (AFP) - South African police are investigating rape charges against members of New Zealand's junior rugby team after they lost to South Africa in the Junior World Championship, a police spokesman said Monday.
"We are investigating a case of rape after a 22-year-old Cape Town woman alleged she was raped," said national police spokesman Vish Naidoo.
"It is alleged the rape took place during the course of Friday night," he told AFP.
The charge was laid on Saturday.
Earlier on Friday South Africa beat New Zealand 22-16 in the IRB Junior World Championship at Newlands stadium in Cape Town.
Four Baby Blacks players were involved in the incident, according to The New Age newspaper. Naidoo declined to say how many players were being investigated.
Forensic experts combed the Southern Sun Hotel Newlands on Saturday for DNA evidence in a hushed investigation, according to the newspaper.
The whole Baby Blacks team was allowed to leave South Africa after the New Zealands High Commission intervened, according to the newspaper.
"I can't go into details on that," said Naidoo.
Hotel staff told the newspaper the woman came to the hotel Friday night and told the front desk she was visiting a cousin. She knew the hotel players' rooms and had apparently met them before.
"According to some of my colleagues she was apparently drunk. And on Saturday morning she called her parents to fetch her at the hotel after claims that she was raped," a hotel employee told the publication.
"Her parents insisted on opening a case of rape. We are not certain that she was raped, but there was blood found on a sheet on a bed. The rugby players left the hotel at 12:00 am on Saturday."
Police are waiting "for the outcome of the forensic analysis", said Naidoo.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/ne...rape-charges-against-junior-nz-rugby-players/

If this is true then it's horrendous. Really bad. I am a little dubious however, if anyone remembers an incident involving Roger Randle in 1997.

I saw the article. There really isn't much to comment on so we'll have to see what comes out of the investigation.

I don't want to call a woman who was raped a liar but it happens here and TBH I doubt there will be anything coming out of an investigation. Even if the allegations are true our police are so ****. I was burgled three weeks ago, the detective came out and took finger prints, forgot his forensic kit as well a the reports at my house and after 5 days of waiting for him to come pick it up (I had called him and his superior) I got fed up and dropped it off at the police station. The funny thing is even before I dropped it off I got notified that the case was already closed; they aren't even trying.

Last edited:
That's pretty bad, sorry to hear about the burglary. I had a kind of similar thing recently as well. About two months ago I was in Burger King on a Wednesday night in town, someone was giving my mate a hard time and I told him to calm down. Turned around and got a bottle thrown at my head and then 10+ punches. By the time I managed to get to my feet they ran off, leaving me with a couple of scars and a broken tooth. Police came and got my statement. I later remembered that I wouldn't let go of the guys hoodie until he told me his name, and the idiot actually did. I called the police to tell him I remembered his name and checked on Facebook to see it was the same guy, the police said they couldn't find any report of the incident and said they'd get the officer who took my statement to give me a call in three days. Never heard back. Three days later one of my rugby team mates got a broken neck because of an attack by some people from another rugby club, where 8 guys attacked 3 of ours. Police haven't done anything yet.

You'd think that the seriousness of this allegation as well as the media coverage would prompt the police to take it very seriously.

I saw the article. There really isn't much to comment on so we'll have to see what comes out of the investigation.

I don't want to call a woman who was raped a liar but it happens here and TBH I doubt there will be anything coming out of an investigation. Even if the allegations are true our police are so ****. I was burgled three weeks ago, the detective came out and took finger prints, forgot his forensic kit as well a the reports at my house and after 5 days of waiting for him to come pick it up (I had called him and his superior) I got fed up and dropped it off at the police station. The funny thing is even before I dropped it off I got notified that the case was already closed; they aren't even trying.
"CSI: Durbanville" would be a very boring show.

When they broke in at our house we called the cops, who arrived hour and a half late, and very drunk.

From....

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/ne...rape-charges-against-junior-nz-rugby-players/

[TEXTAREA]Hotel staff told the newspaper the woman came to the hotel Friday night and told the front desk she was visiting a cousin.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]She knew the hotel players' rooms and had apparently met them before.[/TEXTAREA]

From....

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/baby-blacks-implicated-in-south-african-rape-claim-4945262

[TEXTAREA]South African paper "The New Age" earlier reported a gang rape complaint had been made against four members of the New Zealand Under-20 rugby team after their loss in South Africa on Friday night. [/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]A rape allegation made by a Cape Town woman is focused on one member of the Baby Blacks, the New Zealand Rugby Union says.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]A police spokesperson confirmed a complaint had been laid, but the woman could not identify the alleged offenders because she could not remember the incident.[/TEXTAREA]

So, let me understand this correctly

She knew the players, and she lied to the hotel staff to get into the hotel, went straight to their rooms because she knew where they were. Then she accuses four players of gang rape, and somehow this mysteriously gets reduced one player, but she cannot identify the alleged rapists (even though she previously told the hotel staff she knew them) because she doesn't actually remember being raped.

Is it me being cynical, or does her story not hang together very well?

That's pretty bad, sorry to hear about the burglary. I had a kind of similar thing recently as well. About two months ago I was in Burger King on a Wednesday night in town, someone was giving my mate a hard time and I told him to calm down. Turned around and got a bottle thrown at my head and then 10+ punches. By the time I managed to get to my feet they ran off, leaving me with a couple of scars and a broken tooth. Police came and got my statement. I later remembered that I wouldn't let go of the guys hoodie until he told me his name, and the idiot actually did. I called the police to tell him I remembered his name and checked on Facebook to see it was the same guy, the police said they couldn't find any report of the incident and said they'd get the officer who took my statement to give me a call in three days. Never heard back. Three days later one of my rugby team mates got a broken neck because of an attack by some people from another rugby club, where 8 guys attacked 3 of ours. Police haven't done anything yet.

You'd think that the seriousness of this allegation as well as the media coverage would prompt the police to take it very seriously.

Wow, that's bad. And here I was thinking it was only SA that had dodgy police 'service'. Your friend with the broken neck? I'm almost to scared to ask but is he okay now?

When they broke in at our house we called the cops, who arrived hour and a half late, and very drunk.

Well, at least my guy wasn't drunk. An idiot, yes but not drunk. I take it you at least are fine? They got away with valuables?

I almost wonder whether I got burgled by the same guy(s) as it's almost 1 year to the day that I last got burgled. They came in through the sliding door again and took roughly the same ****. This time however they bent the trellidor that I had installed after the 1st brake-in and managed to pull the safe out of the wall so the damage is a bit more than last time and personal- last time was just PC's, laptop, TV and such. I can just see my insurance premiums double.... and they took all my wife's jewelry with a lot of sentimental stuff (I gave her jewelry every birthday for the last 10 years and stuff she got from her mother and late grandmothers).

From....

[TEXTAREA]Hotel staff told the newspaper the woman came to the hotel Friday night and told the front desk she was visiting a cousin.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]She knew the hotel players' rooms and had apparently met them before.[/TEXTAREA]

From....

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/baby-blacks-implicated-in-south-african-rape-claim-4945262

[TEXTAREA]South African paper "The New Age" earlier reported a gang rape complaint had been made against four members of the New Zealand Under-20 rugby team after their loss in South Africa on Friday night. [/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]A rape allegation made by a Cape Town woman is focused on one member of the Baby Blacks, the New Zealand Rugby Union says.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]A police spokesperson confirmed a complaint had been laid, but the woman could not identify the alleged offenders because she could not remember the incident.[/TEXTAREA]

She knew the players, and she lied to the hotel staff to get into the hotel, went straight to their rooms because she knew where they were. Then she accuses four players of gang rape, and somehow this mysteriously gets reduced one player, but she cannot identify the alleged rapists (even though she previously told the hotel staff she knew them) because she doesn't actually remember being raped.

yes, that's why I say there's nothing to comment on. Might be her story carrying no water, might be be bad reporting and is probably a bit of both.

I think in these situations the alleged victim shouild be treated as respectfully as possible. If the investigation proves she was lying, then she can be prosecuted for it. But if it's true, it's a very traumatic experience that can cause short term memory loss. Her changing the version (allegedly, you never know if it was the journos getting it wrong) does not mean she is lying.

Wow, that's bad. And here I was thinking it was only SA that had dodgy police 'service'. Your friend with the broken neck? I'm almost to scared to ask but is he okay now?

Well, at least my guy wasn't drunk. An idiot, yes but not drunk. I take it you at least are fine? They got away with valuables?

I almost wonder whether I got burgled by the same guy(s) as it's almost 1 year to the day that I last got burgled. They came in through the sliding door again and took roughly the same ****. This time however they bent the trellidor that I had installed after the 1st brake-in and managed to pull the safe out of the wall so the damage is a bit more than last time and personal- last time was just PC's, laptop, TV and such. I can just see my insurance premiums double.... and they took all my wife's jewelry with a lot of sentimental stuff (I gave her jewelry every birthday for the last 10 years and stuff she got from her mother and late grandmothers).

Yeah, he's recovering alright. His spine wasn't damaged. His season has been over and it's cost us a few games as he was probably our best player. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6769331/Bone-broken-in-rugby-revenge-attack.

Really sorry to hear about the personal stuff taken, that's always the worst.

Is it me being cynical, or does her story not hang together very well

As ZeFrenchy mentioned I think it has to be treated with as much respect as possible, just in case. With that being said, from what I've read it does seem very suspicious and it's not unlike the Roger Randle scandle from not so long ago. I do hope that it turns out to be wrong, as it's disgraceful if it is not.

Last edited:
From....

From....

Well there could be a bunch of reasons...

The first one that comes to mind is that she was as high as a kite, which is typical for CT girls...

Secondly, someone could've drugged her using the "Date-rape" drug, which could explain why she can't remember who raped her...

Thirdly, she's trying to milk the papers for attention - Why so many girls do it, I have no clue...

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Baby-Black-Im-innocent-20120628

So Nathan Harris has stepped up...

While I admire his guts to do so, it could really blow up in his face.

Even if he's totally innocent, there will still be some people giving him a hard time about it, because of the seriousness of the offence. If there are even a slight suspicion, or evidence suggesting that there might have been foul play, then it's just going to get worse for him.

I was burgled three weeks ago, the detective came out and took finger prints, forgot his forensic kit as well a the reports at my house and after 5 days of waiting for him to come pick it up (I had called him and his superior) I got fed up and dropped it off at the police station. The funny thing is even before I dropped it off I got notified that the case was already closed; they aren't even trying.

Reminds me of when I was jacked on Xmas day a couple of years ago. I got my car back the same day thanks to a young couple who saw what was happening and followed the carjackers while talking on the cellphone to the cops. Before they were nabbed they used my car to jack another person. After about four hours of paperwork at the copshop I was eventually allowed to leave in my vehicle. In my boot was the other person's presents and champagne, and on the floor on the passenger side was the firearm that had been stuck in my face a few hours earlier. Our cops really are crap!

This whole rape thing seriously stinks of a setup and I really feel bad for the guys involved. If they are guilty however, then they deserve what they get!

Latest posts