TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Kangaroos 24 Man RLWC squad:

Greg Bird (Gold Coast ***ans)
Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
Andrew Fifita (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks)
Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Michael Jennings (Sydney Roosters)
Luke Lewis (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Brett Morris (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Josh Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Nate Myles (Gold Coast ***ans)
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
Matthew Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)
James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
Brent Tate (North Queensland Cowboys)
Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)

Head coach: Tim Sheens

Australia 2013 RLWC schedule

Week 1: Oct 26th (Saturday), England v Australia, Location - Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales

Week 2: Nov 2nd (Saturday), Australia v Fiji, Location - Langtree Park, St Helens, England

Week 3: Nov 9th (Saturday), Australia v Ireland, Location - Thomond Park Stadium, Limerick, Ireland

Last edited:
So will Jennings will start at centre with Inglis? Slater at FB, Hayne on one wing and Boyd on the other? Or do they go with Tate?

Gonna be bloody tough for them to chose their starting second row...

Who of these players would you like to see in Wallabies?

Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis probably have the most cross over potential, but a lot of the Kangaroo's could or could have done it.

Hayne and Inglis are arguably the most physically gifted of the bunch. Both have good size, speed, good ball playing skills just great footballers.
Folau is doing well at the moment, but these two have similar physical gifts to him but are better ball players. I reckon they would go even better than him.

Id go with

Slater
Boyd
Jennings
Inglis
Hayne
Thurston
Cronk
Scott
Smith
Tamou
Thaiday
Bird
Gallen

Fifita
Myles
Lewis
Cherry Evans

Greg Inglis I can see doing well. Jarred Hayne could do well also but Im not sure if hes that type of person to really commit to the off the ball duties of a Union back such as blowing over and stuff, I mean look at how he does the small stuff in League that are vital to building momentum e.g. his play the balls, they're lazy and slow. Cherry-Evans would be another I wouldnt mind chasing if I was a scout for the ARL.

Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis probably have the most cross over potential, but a lot of the Kangaroo's could or could have done it.

I personally dont think 'a lot' of them could push the current Wallabies out of their positions. It's a different game obviously and a lot of the Wallabies have well developed skill sets that are not really exercised in League, particualrly in the forwards.

Other than the backs that I mentioned above, Im not confident that any of the others could make the Wallabies if we're talking within a 1 year timeframe (I just put a cap on it in regards to the out-of-nowhere deadline).

Back in the day when Union was just about to go into professionalism a few All Black would switch codes for money ofcourse. Now around about 95% of those All Blacks that switched to League became superstar players. Guys like Tuingamala (Wigan), Ridge (Manly), Schuster (Knights), Innes (Manly), Timu (Bulldogs), Botica (Wigan) and all these guys carved up in League and all represented the Kiwis except for Inga and John.

What Im tryin to say is, back in the day, it was the Union guys who seemed to excel at League. What about John Gallagher you might say? well he was a great All Black fullback but his switch to League was probably the worst in terms of could he convert and still be a try scoring machine. Nowadays the League players are showing they can excel at Union even at the top level and thats great. Just throwin it out there.

Last edited:
Greg Inglis I can see doing well. Jarred Hayne could do well also but Im not sure if hes that type of person to really commit to the off the ball duties of a Union back such as blowing over and stuff, I mean look at how he does the small stuff in League that are vital to building momentum e.g. his play the balls, they're lazy and slow. Cherry-Evans would be another I wouldnt mind chasing if I was a scout for the ARL.

I personally dont think 'a lot' of them could push the current Wallabies out of their positions. It's a different game obviously and a lot of the Wallabies have well developed skill sets that are not really exercised in League, particualrly in the forwards.

Other than the backs that I mentioned above, Im not confident that any of the others could make the Wallabies if we're talking within a 1 year timeframe (I just put a cap on it in regards to the out-of-nowhere deadline).

Back in the day when Union was just about to go into professionalism a few All Black would switch codes for money ofcourse. Now around about 95% of those All Blacks that switched to League became superstar players. Guys like Tuingamala (Wigan), Ridge (Manly), Schuster (Knights), Innes (Manly), Timu (Bulldogs), Botica (Wigan) and all these guys carved up in League and all represented the Kiwis except for Inga and John.

What Im tryin to say is, back in the day, it was the Union guys who seemed to excel at League. Nowadays the League players are showing they can excel at Union even at the top level and thats great. Just throwin it out there.

I wasn't really saying they could pop over and do it instantly, i was talking about given time to develop and the opportunity to do so. Also age is a big factor as many of their players are late twenties early thirties so It wouldn't be fair. Billy Slater could have been anything really he's that gifted, but I doubt he'd make an impact now, he's getting old legs. Most of the backs like Jennings, Boyd, Cronk and Thurston have the potential to do it, i'm not saying its Garenteed though. Even the likes of Tamou, Fifita they have potential they are good athletes.

Jarryd Hayne when in the mood is devastating, he's never had a bad rep game. He thrives on the big occasion. Playing weekly with a team like Parramatta is bound to take a bit enthuisisam out of you, so I don't blame him for looking less interested. Sometimes I think people expect him to carry the whole team by himself, thats unfair, no player in the comp individually could turn them around it needs to be a team effort.

Big call calling all of them superstars. I agree they were above average but only Botica and Ridge would justify that name. 95% superstars is pretty funny actually. Gallagher, Kirwan, Ellis, Robinson they didn't do a great deal either. Id still put them on the average to above averge league player scale though.

Plenty of Kangaroo's have played for the Wallabies, even a few average League players have played for them in the last 10 years or so. You have the obvious Kangaroo's such as Tuqiri, Rogers, Sailor and Folau who were world class league players. Then you have Walker, Barnes, Cross, Vuna and Tomane who never did much in their league careers. Timana Tahu had some game time as well. There are probably a few others as well that I didn't think of.

How many Kangaroo's that went to Union in the last decade didn't crack the Wallabies?

Last edited:
Big call calling all of them superstars. I agree they were above average but only Botica and Ridge would justify that name. 95% superstars is pretty funny actually. Gallagher, Kirwan, Ellis, Robinson they didn't do a great deal either. Id still put them on the average to above averge league player scale though.

You must be young and havent really seen these guys play when they switched over, they were outstanding. Anyone that saw them back in their day knows that. Its like old news. I dont know where you got Kirwan, Ellis and Robinson from. I didnt mention those guys. I mentioned Gallaghers unsuccesful switch. The guys I mentioned were damaging but you had to been watching League back then otherwise you'd know.

Plenty of Kangaroo's have played for the Wallabies

Wow, Ive been watching Rugby for years and years..thats old news. Its kinda like the All Blacks when they go to League.

How many Kangaroo's that went to Union in the last decade didn't crack the Wallabies?

Im not arguing brother, read my post 'cos you dont get it. In my previous post I was pointing out my opinion and some old school facts. Throwing things out there. Your question sounds like any Kangaroo can just go into the Wallabies.

Last edited:
You must be young and havent really seen these guys play when they switched over, they were outstanding. Anyone that saw them back in their day knows that. Its like old news. I dont know where you got Kirwan, Ellis and Robinson from. I didnt mention those guys. I mentioned Gallaghers unsuccesful switch. The guys I mentioned were damaging but you had to been watching League back then otherwise you'd know.

Wow, Ive been watching Rugby for years and years..thats old news. Its kinda like the All Blacks when they go to League.

Im not arguing brother, read my post 'cos you dont get it. In my previous post I was pointing out my opinion and some old school facts. Throwing things out there. Your question sounds like any Kangaroo can just go into the Wallabies.

Ive watched every Grand Final since 92 live on tv, so not that young. Been a knights fan since Schuster helped get them 1 game off the grand final appearance that year. He was a good player but not a top 20 type player in his day. Heaps of better players really. How good do you have to be to be a superstar?

Innes and Timu were good players don't get me wrong but they weren't superstars either. I rate Innes a bit higher than Timu. He was just a tough *******. Timu went missing a bit in d, he was a much better Union player to be honest, he did have great foot work and speed though. Tuigamala played in UK so i didn't see much of him, may be he was a superstar I don't really know he always seemed to be a bit Lazy when I saw him play.

I pointed out those guys as proof that 95% of All Blacks that crossed over didn't end up being superstars in League.

If a guy like Cooper Vuna or even the Honey Badger for that matter can crack the Wallabies, I reckon a few of the Kangaroo's would have a decent shot. Cronk, Thurston and Slater only miss out because their the wrong side of 30. Jennings, Hayne, Boyd, Inglis the Morris bro's they would all have a good chance of cross over success. Even Tamou and Fifita have the physical attributes to make a decent union player, they would have to dedicate themselves to the game though. Learn all the intricacies.

Ive watched every Grand Final since 92 live on tv, so not that young. Been a knights fan since Schuster helped get them 1 game off the grand final appearance that year. He was a good player but not a top 20 type player in his day. Heaps of better players really. How good do you have to be to be a superstar?
I guess your not that young, I was watching games before 92 but sounds like your were watching the games thats specific to the era were talking about. Schuster was good man, he was dotting down and make good yardage with his runs and sound on defence. IMO he was really good.
Innes and Timu were good players don't get me wrong but they weren't superstars either. I rate Innes a bit higher than Timu. He was just a tough *******. Timu went missing a bit in d, he was a much better Union player to be honest, he did have great foot work and speed though.
Innes was a good solid centre and had the respect of many in League, he had a very successful career in League. I thought he was great anyway.

Timu was the man, thats all I gotta say about John Timu. When he was an All Black, he was somewhat of a nemesis to the Wallies at a time when you could say the Wallies ruled world Rugby.

Tuingamala played in UK so i didn't see much of him, may be he was a superstar I don't really know he always seemed to be a bit Lazy when I saw him play.

Inga was similar to former All Black Bryan Williams in that he had speed and power but Inga was the size of a prop (modern day). Inga paved the way for robust, run-over-you wingers such as Ali Koko, Timo Tagaloa, Paul Carozza and of course Jonah Lomu. I guess you could chuck the later day guys like Norman Berryman and Joeli Vidiri. Inga was just a handful even when he went to League where he was well respected in British League. He had a perculiar running style too where he would cuff the ball in one hand like it was a book. Fantastic player.

I pointed out those guys as proof that 95% of All Blacks that crossed over didn't end up being superstars in League.

Thats subject to opinion, all those names I mentioned where superstars in my eyes :)

If a guy like Cooper Vuna or even the Honey Badger for that matter can crack the Wallabies, I reckon a few of the Kangaroo's would have a decent shot. Cronk, Thurston and Slater only miss out because their the wrong side of 30. Jennings, Hayne, Boyd, Inglis the Morris bro's they would all have a good chance of cross over success. Even Tamou and Fifita have the physical attributes to make a decent union player, they would have to dedicate themselves to the game though. Learn all the intricacies.

Some of them backs might still be able to get into the Wallies at this point and time but thats a big MIGHT. Mainly the backs. Forwards Im not so sure about. Tamou would have to go lock and learn how to jump and ball play. Fifita number 8 cos Im not sure if hes familiar with scrummaging pressure, technique etc...and then even at 8 I could see him getting burnt by Read. Yeah mainly the backs, I dont know who of them had played Union before in their youth but those with Union experience should be ok but who really knows. What do I know lol.

Last edited:
Well I think its a good squad listed but if I was the coach of the Kangaroos My squad would be

Fullback: Billy Slater
Left Wing: Darius Boyd
Right Centre: Michael Jennings
Left Centre: Greg Inglis
Right Wing: Jared Hayne
Five-Eighth: Johnathan Thurston
Half-Back: Daly Cherry-Evans
Prop: Matt Scott
Prop: Paul Gallen (C)
Hooker: Cameron Smith (vc)
Second Row: Andrew Fifita
Second Row: Greg Bird
Lock: Josh Papali

========================
Reserves:
Cooper Cronk
Luke Lewis
James Maloney
James Tahmou
David Shillington
Sam Thaiday

Well I think its a good squad listed but if I was the coach of the Kangaroos My squad would be

Fullback: Billy Slater
Left Wing: Darius Boyd
Right Centre: Michael Jennings
Left Centre: Greg Inglis
Right Wing: Jared Hayne
Five-Eighth: Johnathan Thurston
Half-Back: Daly Cherry-Evans
Prop: Matt Scott
Prop: Paul Gallen (C)
Hooker: Cameron Smith (vc)
Second Row: Andrew Fifita
Second Row: Greg Bird
Lock: Josh Papali

========================
Reserves:
Cooper Cronk
Luke Lewis
James Maloney
James Tahmou
David Shillington
Sam Thaiday

Thats a really nice line up. The bench IMO are probably more suited as impact players based on their current form and what they offer.

That should be the team.

Thats a really nice line up. The bench IMO are probably more suited as impact players based on their current form and what they offer.

That should be the team.

THANKS,

The reason why I would bench Cooper not Daly is that I think that that Daly is more inform and cooper has lost some of his magic but still they are both great Queenslanders. IF THURSTON gets INJURED , JAMES MALONEY IS THE MAN and another Hooker might be Robbie Farah

Unfortunately the Wallabies have messed up, in all honesty they could've saved the money they spent on the last lot of league recruits and spent up large on G.I. Imo he's probably the SBW of the backs, there's none quite like him and may never be again. He's pretty much all they'd need right now and if they fixed up their forward issues - then wouldn't be where they are right now. If O'connor (Michael - that is) was smart, he'd be on his knees to the Matt Caroll asking him throw the bank at G.I for the Olympics.

Big call calling all of them superstars. I agree they were above average but only Botica and Ridge would justify that name.

I'd have to say that Craig Innes is the probably the best centre for NZ to have never worn the Kiwis jersey. He's pretty highly valued in Manly circles (especially by Lowey) he just got stuck in the SuperLeague/ARL war at the time. I thought he was a far better player than Richie Blackmore at the time.

I'd agree with Schuster not being a 'great' but was definitely a "above average" player. Inga chose Samoa for league and then went back and starred in Union, given his profile and his performances I would class him as a Superstar. Timu was kind of "Meh" - I kinda thought Jason Williams then Hoppe were better wings.

Unfortunately the Wallabies have messed up, in all honesty they could've saved the money they spent on the last lot of league recruits and spent up large on G.I. Imo he's probably the SBW of the backs, there's none quite like him and may never be again. He's pretty much all they'd need right now and if they fixed up their forward issues - then wouldn't be where they are right now. If O'connor (Michael - that is) was smart, he'd be on his knees to the Matt Caroll asking him throw the bank at G.I for the Olympics.

I'd have to say that Craig Innes is the probably the best centre for NZ to have never worn the Kiwis jersey. He's pretty highly valued in Manly circles (especially by Lowey) he just got stuck in the SuperLeague/ARL war at the time. I thought he was a far better player than Richie Blackmore at the time.

I'd agree with Schuster not being a 'great' but was definitely a "above average" player. Inga chose Samoa for league and then went back and starred in Union, given his profile and his performances I would class him as a Superstar. Timu was kind of "Meh" - I kinda thought Jason Williams then Hoppe were better wings.

I put Kev Iro the best kiwi centre I have seen he's also another Manly star. Ritchie Blackmore was way overrated IMO so I agree Innes is better. By the way I have another Manly star 2nd Steve Matai. Honorable mentions go to Innes, Talau, Vagana and Carroll. Put Blackmore behind Toopi if you ask me. Timu mostly played in the centres from memory he was decent probably par with Blackmore.

(my rankings are based on NRL/SL/ARL/NSWRL and international performances, Innes I don't think actually played a test and Matai has been more of a liability i think he was red carded twice)

Last edited:
I put Kev Iro the best kiwi centre I have seen he's also another Manly star. Ritchie Blackmore was way overrated IMO so I agree Innes is better. By the way I have another Manly star 2nd Steve Matai. Honorable mentions go to Innes, Talau, Vagana and Carroll. Put Blackmore behind Toopi if you ask me. Timu mostly played in the centres from memory he was decent probably par with Blackmore.

(my rankings are based on NRL/SL/ARL/NSWRL and international performances, Innes I don't think actually played a test and Matai has been more of a liability i think he was red carded twice)

I think Kevin Iro was one of the best Kiwis ever to play. The fend was his weapon. He also played for Wigan I think.

Blackmore had an outstanding game for the Kiwis when they beat the Roos at Olympic Park in Melbourne, think it was 1988, not sure but I remember Blackmore who was a virtual no-one, just became an overnight hero.

Latest posts