Kapa O Pango scrapped?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by sanzar, Jun 29, 2006.

1. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Hey to all the kiwi's in the know on this forum. What's the story with Kapa O Pango? Someone recently told me they wouldn't perform it anymore because of how upset the british got when they performed it in front of them... is this true?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. dobrien7

dobrien7 Guest

I'd heard the whole point of the new haka is that apparently the translation of the Ka Mate is offensive to the South Island Tribe of Maori, so they combined a new one to keep them happy along with a fresh new one 'from the ABs themselves'.

Hence it is only to be done at South Island tests and major games eg finals etc...

Only what I've heard, could be wrong :)

4. Thank God it's gone because the proper Haka is way better than Kapa O Pango

5. esoj

esoj Guest

I think it is only used on special occasions for big and important tests.

6. Ripper

Ripper Guest

You people seriously don't expect us to use it against a pack of Drunken Leprechauns and the Argies?

And to one of them drunken Leprechauns above, Kapa O Pango is better then Ka Mate.

7. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

Havn't heard of it being scrapped... think the AB's will continue to use only on big occasions to fire everyone up.

8. kick2touch

kick2touch Guest

iv always prefered the older one myself
    it has a certain more powerfu and emotional feel to it

9. loratadine

loratadine Guest

the older one has more prestige

10. DC

DC Guest

i thought i read it had been scrapped as well

heres a vid of it just incase some don't know what it is Kapa O Pango

but i can't find anything, they just want the throat slittng gesture banned.

11. EVOL

EVOL Guest

sure ka mate is entrenched in nz rugby tradition, but i feel it doesnt represent the all blacks as well as kapa o pango

take a look at the words of ka mate

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
    Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
    Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
    Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
    A upane ka upane!
    A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
    Hi!!

English Translation:
    It is death! It is death!
    It is life! It is life!
    This is the hairy person
    Who caused the sun to shine
    Keep abreast! Keep abreast
    The rank! Hold fast!
    Into the sun that shines!

now kapa o pango

Kapa o pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!
    Let me become one with the land
    Hi aue, hi!
    Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!
    This is our land that rumbles
    Au, au, aue ha!
    And it's my time! It's my moment!
    Ko Kapa o Pango e ngunguru nei!
    This defines us as the All Blacks
    Au, au, aue ha!
    It's my time! It's my moment!
    I ahaha!
    Ka tu te ihiihi
    Our dominance
    Ka tu te wanawana
    Our supremacy will triumph
    Ki runga ki te rangi e tu iho nei,
    tu iho nei, hi!
    And will be placed on high
    Ponga ra!
    Silver fern!
    Kapa o Pango, aue hi!
    All Blacks!
    Ponga ra!
    Silver fern!
    Kapa o Pango, aue hi, ha!
    All Blacks!

i feel that kapa o pango is a much more fierce and more relevent haka than one about some dude hiding out in a pit scared of the hairy man

12. we should see it in the first bledisloe encounter

13. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Do you think? I don't think the Kiwi's will use it unless the Bled goes to a decider to be honest...

14. kick2touch

kick2touch Guest

there was a bit of contraversy in SA last year because of the whole murder gesture so we may see it in Oz

15. esoj

esoj Guest

yeah I am with sanzar on this one. will proabbly only come out for the bled decider. that would be considered a big/special occasion and imo an approaite occasion

16. Candyman

Candyman Guest

I have heard they haven't been performing it due to some countriesfinding it offensivewith some of there actions eg the throat slitting action they do.

17. Yeah its just the throat sliting gesture that offends people but syaing that there is awy more violence on t.v. so why the big deal?

18. kaftka

kaftka Guest

Sorry guys, but I just couldn't let this go....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'PROPER' HAKA, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DIFFERENT HAKAS, WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS, PERFORMED FOR DIFFERENT OCCASSIONS. KAPA O PANGO IS THE HAKA MADE FOR THE ALL BLACKS, JUST LIKE DIFFERENT SCHOOLS AND IWIS HAVE DIFFERENT HAKAS. IF ANYTHING, KAPA O PANGO IS THE PROPER HAKA AS IT IS DESIGNED FOR THE ALL BLACKS AND NOT A UNIVERSAL 'WHATEVER' HAKA LIKE KA MATE.

!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

19. ..::ERIC::..

..::ERIC::.. Guest

Still, the proper one is better than this new one.

20. sanzar

sanzar Guest

21. Wally

Wally Guest

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!