• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kearney to miss date with England

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2...8/kearneyr.html

Rob Kearney has been ruled out of Ireland's RBS 6 Nations match against England at Twickenham next weekend after failing to recover from a knee injury sustained against France last week.

The player is expected be out of action for three to five weeks.[/b]

Who'll take his place? Keith Earls is probably the front runner but he doesn;t exactly exude confidence under the high ball - on the other hand having more space in front of him could make him a devastating counter attacker. The other options are Gavin Duffy who's a steady hand but won't excite anyone or Geordan Murphy who's making his way back from injury. Michael Cheika has pushed the claims of Girvan Dempsey but he's yesterday's man.

Tommy has demonstrated himself more than capable in that role for the Ospreys. Good underthe high ball and would allow the reinclusion of Shaggy at 14.

In other news Leo Cullen was forced to sit today's trainig out due to minor knee trouble. So yep, we're doomed.

Don't worry, even players wobbly under the high ball shouldn't have too much trouble with Wilkinson very politely placing it into their outstretched arms.

Geordan Murphy would be the best bet... Nobody else knows all the Leicester players' game better.

Dempsey isn't in the squad so hes not a option note sure if erals and trible would be safe whit englands kicking game. so that leavs duffy noting really on the conunter attck Tommy Bowe mabye but i think that it will be erals at FB and trimble on the wing. also i think sexton should start

I can't imagine Kidney moving Bowe off of the wing (other than to centre), i'd imagine that it'd be Earls, which i'd be happy about if England are still playing sir kicksalot :p

Bowe seems the safest under the high ball tho a back 3 of erals Bowe trimble doesn't sound too bad

I think Bowe should stay on the wing earls at full back and trimble or shaggy on the other wing. we should have either murthy or duffy on the bench. depends whether it would be better to play it safe and go for the experienced murphy or try to expand the squad by taking a risk with duffy :blink: :wacko:

dont forget murphy is only just coming out of injury

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Feb 18 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
dont forget murphy is only just coming out of injury[/b]
It will probably be the factor which counts against him but Declan Kidney had no problem selecting Jerry Flannery and Rory Best who had virtually no recent game time either.

I' think Duffy will start he's a solid performer and Kidney talked about him on RTE news tonight but
He dindn't talk about picking guy out of position.

Don't forget that Duffy is in the squad and Murphy isn't

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Feb 18 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't forget that Duffy is in the squad and Murphy isn't[/b]
That won't count for anything - players can be added to the squad at any time as we saw with Connacht's Sean Cronin deservedly getting called up today.

Blow for Ireland even if Kearney isn't playing as well as last year letting Byrne back into the best 15 in the NH again.

Line cast....

Since I desperatly want Ireland to beat England, I will offer genuine advice. (Erm, as far as I can give. Which isn't very far.) I think the best option would be to pick a genuine fullback, so if you want me to fly out, then I've got no problem. I've got an Irish relative about 7 generations back on my mums' side. Though I said the same thing in the autumn to Gatland, but he never replied.

As for the other options, the only time I recall Bowe playing 15 for the Ospreys was in that drumming against Munster in the HEC. Not a good showing for him, but I'd presume he could do the job, so I'd pick him. Also, he's seemed lazy in the first two games, not like his usual try-poaching self. Fullbacks have more responsibilties than a winger, so he might wake up a bit. Earls was wobbly for the Lions at the back, so I wouldn't pick him. Trimble can't kick, so no way should he be starting there. Murphy is probaly the best avalible, because he is a fullback, but since he's not quite with it, I'd have to go for Bowe, considering he was a 15 until he was 19.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 18 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Feb 18 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That won't count for anything - players can be added to the squad at any time as we saw with Connacht's Sean Cronin deservedly getting called up today.
[/b][/quote]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 18 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Feb 18 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Murphy is not fit and it would be unfair for Duffy.
Cronin came in to the squad today to fill up the bench vs England because with Flannerys ban there was one unfit hooker (Best) left in the squad.

PS: I think that if Murphy never had his injurie problems and stayed in Ireland he would have become a legend of the game

Hard for the lad.

The broken leg in 2003 runned his career

Lads I was down in Cork on a trip from Limerick and seen Irish team training.

Backs had Earls at 15 when going through moves wheather that an indication.
Glad DOC back too but think he'll have to bide his time as Cullen deserves to keep shirt but we have another great substitute.

Also in pack if it an indication Horan was in front row with 2 Ulster lads(Best & Court). Presume Court is there as the Bull wasn't doing full session but will Healy be dropped. I don't know if Marcus is ready for it yet although (like Rory Best) the ML games this weekend will be super for them.

On the subject of Geordan Murphy:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
the door appears to have swung open for Geordan Murphy, who has recovered well from the shoulder injury he sustained playing for Leicester against Bath last September. The 63-time capped fullback has featured off the bench for the Tigers in their last two games and looks likely to start against Gloucester tomorrow.

Should he line up in his familiar fullback role, the indications are he could come into contention for the number 15 jersey at Twickenham.

“We’ll give him a look,†revealed Kidney. “We’re hoping that he’ll get a start on Saturday. He’s had two sub appearances in the last two weekends, and it was always the plan to bring him into training next week. Whether he has enough time under his belt or not . . . you wouldn’t rule anyone out.â€[/b]
From today's Irish Times

Yeah Snoop it pretty much obvious now that he will be there as he is training with Ireland next week.

Game time or not I think he'll play for sure athough sometimes Geordan can have horror games so I am slighltly at unease of lack of gametime.

I agree with the above. As another oster said, he was terrific for Ireland before his horror injury against Scotland in 2003. Ever since he's mixed the sublime with the ridiculous internationally.

I suspect Keith Earls will start at fullback against our former colonial oppressors with Geordan Murphy acting as an insurance policy off the bench.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 19 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree with the above. As another oster said, he was terrific for Ireland before his horror injury against Scotland in 2003. Ever since he's mixed the sublime with the ridiculous internationally.

I suspect Keith Earls will start at fullback against our former colonial oppressors with Geordan Murphy acting as an insurance policy off the bench.[/b]
Was watching them train during week Snoop and Earls was there.
I know Keith isn't a natural FB but his handling and kicking have improved massively in past 12months and in scenarios like these where it only short-term I'd have 100% confidence in Keith at FB although he is destined to be an International wing/centre

Latest posts