• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Keith Earls ruled out of Summer Tour

Lads ireland have to start Sexton and operate like 6 nations where RoG comes on to finish job but Sexton is the better playmaker and poses a threat himself with a running game that RoG doesn't have and yea Sextons kicking isn't great at moment but it's in these games he learns and improves

Lads ireland have to start Sexton and operate like 6 nations where RoG comes on to finish job but Sexton is the better playmaker and poses a threat himself with a running game that RoG doesn't have and yea Sextons kicking isn't great at moment but it's in these games he learns and improves

Putting him under pressure with sides like NZ will be the way to bring him through alright. I've heard many players say that a baptism of fire is what can make them a better player in the long run. Did O'Gara have one of those? Not sure.

Back when likes of O'Gara and BOD were learning it was in AIL games. And back then the AIL was a baptism of fire and you had to learn quick or you'd be hurt

The way I see it, O'Gara has played New Zealand on a number of occasions and Ireland haven't picked up a win. He's 33 and he's not getting any better so how can we expect to win if we start him again? Sexton is a good player who needs experience. Why not throw him in from the start and bring on O'Gara with 20 or 25 minutes to go? It's a system which worked for Ireland when David Humphreys was regularly brought off the bench to close out games after O'Gara started.

Agreed with you there Snoop RoG can't ignite our backs like Sexton and the fact that Sexton runs himself where RoG doesn't means Sexton gives defenses an extra bit of thinking.

Sexton plays some sexy rugby then I take it? Will he penetrate the All Blacks back line?

Sexton plays some sexy rugby then I take it? Will he penetrate the All Blacks back line?
Sexton's capable of playing sexy rugby. He's not the most natural runner with the ball in hand but he's capable of making a break and is a fantastic passer. He has a good temperment frequently scoring late in games but can struggle from time to time with distance on his kicking to touch and his goalkicking, while good generally, can wobble. He hasn't been as impressive in the last few months as he was before Christmas.

Sexton is perfectly able, we have no need for Warwick. If Ian Keatley makes the move to Munster after the world cup it would be fairly safe to assume that we'll have 4 Irish outhalfs starting for the provinces, which would be no bad thing.

With any luck it will be a problem that won't cause us very many problems over the next 7 or so years.

Sexton is perfectly able, we have no need for Warwick. If Ian Keatley makes the move to Munster after the world cup it would be fairly safe to assume that we'll have 4 Irish outhalfs starting for the provinces, which would be no bad thing.
It would be ideal if Keatley moved to Munster after next season since there'll be a vacancy at 10. What I think will happen though is that Munster will import a top class 10 from abroad since they won't want to risk Ian Keatley suffering from growing pains while he adjusts to the role. Somebody like Scott Deasy or JJ Hanrahan will be groomed to take over from the imported player. Keatley will return to Leinster to replace Shaun Berne and push Jonny Sexton.

In much the same way, Sean Cronin will return to Munster even though Leinster may be the better fit in the short term. Flannery and Cronin would be a quality duo of hookers for any side.

ROG has confirmed he will stay with Munster for one season after the WC, but retire from Ireland. Wawick will hopefully stay too. It looks like JJ Hanrahan is viewed as the long term flyhalf, especially with us promoting goal kicking scrum halves.

Latest posts