• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

keith Earls

J

Jockstap

Found this Comp on Youtube, people are saying he's the next O'Driscoll but if you look at BOD at this age he was miles faster, Earls is a good player no doubt he just doesn't have the pace required to be the next BOD. That being said he's scored something like 10 tries this season for Munster so what do I know, your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1VlFNYuzWw

I dont doubt his pace, or his handling skills. His kicking seems better so I suppose you just have to see him defensively.

It would take some talent to match BOD defensively, but it'll be interesting to see how he develops in that area.

A seriously exciting talent.

Definitely, BOD's defensive skills are immense and its what made his reputation on his first Lions outing (as well as that try he made..)

I can see where you might get the idea that he doesn't have Bod's (when he was young) pace seeing as he doesn't look that fast for the second Ospreys try. but take into account that that was 65 minutes into the match from 60 metres out.

I love in the try against the saxons (the slowed motion version from about 2:05) when someone goes for the ankle-tap and he just hops over his hand. Only noticed it when it was slowed down.

The defence is the question really. Only seen one messy performance this season and that was against Max evans I think. Just a bad day perhaps. He was grand against McFadden and D'Arcy. But Saturday should be even more interesting!

Seems pretty nippy to me.

I've not seen a lot of Earls this season but certainly looking at that comp it's quite encouraging to see that he is player who plays what is infront of him. Just what we'll need out in SA.

Thumbs up!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 29 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can see where you might get the idea that he doesn't have Bod's (when he was young) pace seeing as he doesn't look that fast for the second Ospreys try. but take into account that that was 65 minutes into the match from 60 metres out.[/b]

Don't see how that makes much difference, Phillips was in the same situation and he managed to catch him. Phillips was very unlucky that he ended up underneeth Earls over the touch line (10 times out of 10, that wouldn't have been a try, just a freak occurance).

That doesn't take anything away from Earls though, he's been impressive for Munster and pace isn't everything. He is a natural footballer, who is very comfortouble with the ball in his hands, he should develop into a top class player, nice timing!

Wut. :huh:

Earls is the fastest back Ireland have. I'm confident if you put every Irish back in a 100m sprint tomorrow he would win. He is lightning quick, especially over the first 20. Have a look at this try against leinster, 3 players made look very VERY average by a bit of aggression and a LOT of pace.

He is hardly Brian O'Driscoll FFS.

well i just think hes a great player. what with him and the lad as well as cave below we're fairly well set at centre for a while... well at leat well enough to keep trimble away from the team
Luke_Fitzgerald_young007763_display.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 30 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 29 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can see where you might get the idea that he doesn't have Bod's (when he was young) pace seeing as he doesn't look that fast for the second Ospreys try. but take into account that that was 65 minutes into the match from 60 metres out.[/b]

Don't see how that makes much difference, Phillips was in the same situation and he managed to catch him. Phillips was very unlucky that he ended up underneeth Earls over the touch line (10 times out of 10, that wouldn't have been a try, just a freak occurance).

That doesn't take anything away from Earls though, he's been impressive for Munster and pace isn't everything. He is a natural footballer, who is very comfortouble with the ball in his hands, he should develop into a top class player, nice timing!
[/b][/quote]

Wellllll....if you stop it at just 0:04...

At this point we'll say that Keith is 59 metres out from the line if he ran exactly parallel to the touch line all the way to the try line. (He doesn't...he runs slightly out towards touch... but the difference is only marginal). So K = 59

Lets say now that if you draw a line perpindicular to the hypothetical straight line that Keith is runnng, he would be 32 metres (perpindicular) from that line (aproximately). So we have a right angle triangle, with one line 32 metres and Mike is about 49 metres out from the try line so that's the second line, if you slide it in so that it's on the hypothetical Keith line.

So it's a simple aplication of Ptolemy to work out the length of the Hypothenous (i.e. 'M' the distance Mike will run to catch Keith before the line).

32squared + 49squared = Msquared
1024 + 2401 = Msquared
3425 = Msquared
58.5 = M

K > M

So really the diference in speed was minute and he did catch him slightly before the line but there were things I didn't take into consideration such as Keith not running a straight line.

But yeah. Basically they ran at nearly exactly the same speed. Fact of life. They're both as quick as lightening.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Apr 30 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ptolemy? Pythagoras surely..[/b]

HAHA! Yeah, sorry, was reading about Alexander the great today and there's about 3 Ptolemys jumping around the gaff so it was on my tongue!

Yes, i meant Pythagoras!

Latest posts