• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kelleher: S14 is poor, NH better

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 19 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol! A washmachine?
Interesting choice of words[/b]
One thing I have noticed about the French is that they are very gracious in defeat and give lots of superlatives to describe their conquerors.

I šaw the Moštar Bridge yešterday and it made me think...

...čan't we all get along? :(

(I'd write more but this kezboard requirey a PHD to use...see zou all next week or something!)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 19 2008, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I šaw the Moštar Bridge yešterday and it made me think...

...čan't we all get along? :(

(I'd write more but this kezboard requirey a PHD to use...see zou all next week or something!)[/b]
Have you just gone all polish on us?

Nah, evebody goes to Ex-Yugoslavia these days (esp Croatia)...have a nice trip Pres...

Yeah, I'm in the former Yugoslavia.

Mostar yesterday, Sarajevo today. Went to the heights overlooking and saw through the aid of binoculars the ability of man to have the power of life and death, of god, gentleman.

Needless to say, it was quite moving, even more to see the inhabitants of both cities carry on with it all with a sense of confidence and optimism that is fundementally humbling.

Very emotional day, lads.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jun 11 2008, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The third, final and lowest tier are the Comprehensives. These are the schools who barely manage to get an XV together, let alone more. Training is done by PE Teachers without much clue as to rugby and usually rely on partnerships with the local GP club (Saracens for example have coaching programs with many Schools in Herts & Essex to actually teach the PE teachers actually how to coach Rugby to the pupils). Also, at Comprehensive level, rugby has to compete with football. During the winter, you can't play on the fields during lunchtime so you play football in the playground. During the Summer, you play football on the fields. The only time when these guys get to even touch a rugby ball is during the winter during PE or if they go and join a local rugby club.[/b]

Beg to differ on the comprehensive being the lowest tier old chap!

Probably generally correct but my comprehensive was a tad different, one of our PE teachers was Dave Alread, who went on to be Englands kicking coach, we had a couple of really good Welsh PE teachers too, and we did regularly win the Southwest regional finals.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Apr 26 2008, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He also identifies the key difference between the seasons in the two hemispheres. "Southern hemisphere rugby is a hundred-metre sprint, whereas northern hemisphere rugby, especially in France, is a marathon. The skill levels and execution have been poor in the Super 14 this season. Quite clearly, northern hemisphere teams have been playing much better rugby."

Times[/b]
I swear it is the other way around. What is Kelleher talking about? The 3 teams to play the AB's so far went guns out all blazing in the first half and then ran out of puff in the second.  While NZ played it like THEY were running a marathon with steady play and only picking it up near the end.  Also if any team looked like they were playing like its a 100 metre sprint it was France this weekend.  They would have done better if they had calmed down and not tried to score every time they had the ball from a ruck.  Patience would have won them the game...especially since the Wallabies were playing jittery rugby.

f*** me, how much weight has Kelleher put on since going up north? He looks like a fat slob these days, I'm surprised he was rated the best player in the Top 14 last season. He was nothing short of average in the Super 14 and I reckon he was lucky to make the All Blacks last year. He'd be 3rd (at best) in the pecking order if he came back to NZ.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 23 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f*** me, how much weight has Kelleher put on since going up north? He looks like a fat slob these days[/b]
Well it seems he got paid well...good on him ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 23 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f*** me, how much weight has Kelleher put on since going up north? He looks like a fat slob these days, I'm surprised he was rated the best player in the Top 14 last season. He was nothing short of average in the Super 14 and I reckon he was lucky to make the All Blacks last year. He'd be 3rd (at best) in the pecking order if he came back to NZ.[/b]

Knowing Stade Tolouse's somewhat dubious and frankly bemusing ways of picking and buying players, I'm honestly not surprised.

Simply put, one of most financially powerful clubs in France (if not Europe) and..well..their buying policy leaves a bit to be desired ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 23 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Apr 26 2008, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He also identifies the key difference between the seasons in the two hemispheres. "Southern hemisphere rugby is a hundred-metre sprint, whereas northern hemisphere rugby, especially in France, is a marathon. The skill levels and execution have been poor in the Super 14 this season. Quite clearly, northern hemisphere teams have been playing much better rugby."

Times[/b]
I swear it is the other way around. What is Kelleher talking about? The 3 teams to play the AB's so far went guns out all blazing in the first half and then ran out of puff in the second. While NZ played it like THEY were running a marathon with steady play and only picking it up near the end. Also if any team looked like they were playing like its a 100 metre sprint it was France this weekend. They would have done better if they had calmed down and not tried to score every time they had the ball from a ruck. Patience would have won them the game...especially since the Wallabies were playing jittery rugby.
[/b][/quote]

I think he was talking about Club Rugby. Livremont is trying something which appears to be a completely hyperactive form of Rugby and is something completely different to what most Top 14 teams are coaching their players.

What Kelleher was referring to was the fact that the season in the NH is a marathon, you've got your league, your domestic trophy, the Heineken Cup/Heine-kiddy cup and then, if you're good enough, you have your International Rugby.

Going all out, week in and week out will mean you'll end up with 15 exhausted players come the vital crunch games in January for the Heineken Cup. Things have to be paced for a much longer period of time.

International rugby, with players from different clubs who usually play different styles trying to unite under a single, national coach to play one distinct style at a far higher level of intensity is different.

Can the NH players hack it at International Level? No, I don't think they can.

Can a club hack it against an International Team? As Munster vs the ABs proved, yes, yes you can.

Latest posts