Kicker Question

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hey, folks - quick question here.

What do you think about the whole "respect the kicker" aspect of the game? On one hand, I see why it's the considerate thing to do, but on the other, doesn't that defeat the point of showing up as a fan?

At American Football games, the impact the crowd can have on the visitors is significant, and something fan bases are proud of. When I go to a game, I like to think my enthusiasm can benefit my team directly. So how do rugby fans handle being so quiet?

Thanks!

-Dave

Hey, folks - quick question here.

What do you think about the whole "respect the kicker" aspect of the game? On one hand, I see why it's the considerate thing to do, but on the other, doesn't that defeat the point of showing up as a fan?

At American Football games, the impact the crowd can have on the visitors is significant, and something fan bases are proud of. When I go to a game, I like to think my enthusiasm can benefit my team directly. So how do rugby fans handle being so quiet?

Thanks!

-Dave

Depends what country you're in.

Silence can make the kick harder for some.
Builds the tension.

French will boo kickers for the whole 80 mins, half the time they boo their own kickers.

I'm discovering the differences between UK and French rugby... thanks for the insights, my friends!

There's a difference between most contries really, i never really noticed if the crowd boos in USA rugby leagues or internationals.

Its the same kind of thing as England singing swing low over the all black haka. Making noise to influence the game be it their team to miss a kick or your team to stand up to a challange.

Used to think the silence was sacrosanct, but less fussed now.

A chorus of the traditional wendyball "Whooooaaaaaa you're sh*t aaaahhhhh" homage to keepers taking a goal kick would be interesting.

Iceman would obvs just glare, offer to take them all outside and then nail the kick with 20m to spare.

Latest posts