• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kicking from tee

F

florian74

Is there anyway you can improve your kicking from tee other than just practicing and practicing??
is there any particular technique??
thtanks a lot..

Different techniques work for different people.

For example, me and a mate. We can both make the 50m. I take 2 steps and hit the ball at about 60 degrees to the posts, whereas my mate takes 8 steps and hit the ball pretty much straight on...about 10 or 15 degrees.

What ever works for you.

And in the end, all it comes down to in practising the technique that you feel most comfortable with.

I can recommend the carter supertee but other than tees it is really down to practise and technique

since I live in the US, its really hard and expensive for me to get the supertee. online shops in the US sells gilbert tees and orange CCC tee. what would u reccomend?

I recommend you practise with any tee you find, and the old fashoned way. The more you kick, the better you'll become. Personally, I kick old fashoned way. Just make a hole in the pitch with my heel and put the ball there, then kick the hell out of it. The more techniques you master by practise lessens the chance of missing a kick with or without a tee.

I recommend you practise with any tee you find, and the old fashoned way. The more you kick, the better you'll become. Personally, I kick old fashoned way. Just make a hole in the pitch with my heel and put the ball there, then kick the hell out of it. [/b]

You're joking! When i was playing for my old club i forgot my tee so i resorted to heeling the ground. The ref came over to me and warned me if i tried ruining the pitch one more time he'd penalise me! I couldn't help but laugh and asked him what he proposed i do, he said, "Ask the other team. You've got 1 minute."
So i had to borrow the oppositions kicking tee...AND THEY LET ME!
Lol.
But seriously, i'm not sure how refs are about you heeling the pitch. I can't see it making much difference with all the scrums etc but that was my only experience where i forgot my tee.

You're joking! When i was playing for my old club i forgot my tee so i resorted to heeling the ground. The ref came over to me and warned me if i tried ruining the pitch one more time he'd penalise me! I couldn't help but laugh and asked him what he proposed i do, he said, "Ask the other team. You've got 1 minute."
Lol.
But seriously, i'm not sure how refs are about you heeling the pitch. I can't see it making much difference with all the scrums etc but that was my only experience where i forgot my tee.
[/b]

I've never seen a ref warn anybody here. That's ironic, because I suppose Wales has lots of rugby fields and they would be mostly in good shape (If I'm wrong, please tell me). In Mexico we have about 2 or 3 rugby fields, and I think my team's is the best one, and lots of people heel the ground. Don't really see how heeling the ground really ruins it if you have 120 Kg people pushing and tackling each other to the ground, but the ref's the ref, right?

I know, that's why i couldn't help but laugh at the ref.
When you've got things like scrums going on, then how is kicking the pitch a little gonna ruin it?

<div class='quotemain'>You're joking! When i was playing for my old club i forgot my tee so i resorted to heeling the ground. The ref came over to me and warned me if i tried ruining the pitch one more time he'd penalise me! I couldn't help but laugh and asked him what he proposed i do, he said, "Ask the other team. You've got 1 minute."
Lol.
[/b]

I've never seen a ref warn anybody here. That's ironic, because I suppose Wales has lots of rugby fields and they would be mostly in good shape (If I'm wrong, please tell me). In Mexico we have about 2 or 3 rugby fields, and I think my team's is the best one, and lots of people heel the ground. Don't really see how heeling the ground really ruins it if you have 120 Kg people pushing and tackling each other to the ground, but the ref's the ref, right?
[/b][/quote]

Here in Brazil we have only two official rugby field, but in field what i play only one hole don't gonna make any diference

When you kick, a lot of people have their left arm by their side. That arm should be cutting accross your chest to square your hips up, and have your shoulders pointing at the target rather than out to the right.
Also, for more distance I prefer having the ball pointed toward the posts rather than straight up in the air.
I'll find some pictures of the arm thing for you.
EDIT - Found some. Watch Matt Giteau's arm in the first and then the second frame. (He's a left-footed kicker, so unless you are as well then you should be doing what he is doing with your LEFT arm.)
340x.jpg
76833768.jpg

get a picture of steyn then it explains kicking perfection :).

Montgomery is the more accurate imo but steyn is further kicker

Oh didn't he what! I don't like him anyway, I think he's a baby. Good on him for trying though.

8/8 for Matty Giteau, not too bad for an ordinary kicker!

Practicing and practicing is the answer to find the tee you like (many players made their own), and the best run to the ball.

does anybody actually know where to aim at the ball and the leg movement that you should make to hit the ball?

In terms of area I know your supposed to hit the sweet spot ( lower area of the ball i think), but for some reason I always end up toe punting it or hitting it waaayyy too high off the sweet spot.

I onl could recommand practicing and practicing.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to check some video's of good kickers and see how they do it.

While in school myself and a mate used goal kicking for a practical assesment. This consisted of 2 weeks of practicing during class time and monitoring development.

I started the assesment ordinary at best but have since become a very accurate kicker probably the 2nd best kicker in my team but never get a chance as i'm a prop :(

There's not right or wrong way to kick a ball...if it works do it.
Just make sure you get yourself into a comfortable routine and practice.
Other than that make sure you get your plant foot close to the tee, head down and follow through :)

Latest posts