• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kicking Techniques....

W

Woldog

Hi.

My coach just informed me that he wants to run me at fly-half next years season... I'm a forward, always have been, played some games on the wing and in the centers but usually I'm a loose forward, the main reason I'm getting put at fly-half is because we don't have one for next years season because our current one is too old to play Colts now.

Basically what I want to know is what's the best technique for distance kicking, I can kick goals easy enough I have a range of about 40meters for goal kicking (that's really pushing it) Yet my distance kicking hardly makes it too the 22....

any good advice would be helpful.

Where do you live Woldog? Im on my way to Ippy this year and could cover that position for the club as I'll be hunting for one when I get down there.

For me, who usially plays loose forward and this season prop, so my opinion of kicking isn't all that great, except i am good at goal kicking and drop goals, I tend to find that if I hold the ball on a slight angle of maybe 320 degrees, it gets a nice spiral, and i can kick up to 50m.

Yeah I'll come have a look, Im a goal kicker too and I've been playing 12 at my club in B grade and I can play 10 aswell.

This is slightly off-topic, but my school's Rugby club was lacking a goal kicker, so I've taken up goal kicking the past three weeks, and can now get the ball between the posts from straight infront of them from about 30-35 metres. However, I can't seem to get it at any kind of angle at all. Any advice? (Thought it best to post it in a topic already on kicking techniques)

Without seeing how you're kicking, it's going to be difficult to advise, other than to say 'Practice, practice, practice'.

Try kicking along the line of the try line and aiming at the post. If you can hit/get very close to the post, then you should be able to thread the ball between the uprights on the angle. Don't forget to adjust your aim according to the wind by visualising your kick and visualising your target.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 17 2009, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is slightly off-topic, but my school's Rugby club was lacking a goal kicker, so I've taken up goal kicking the past three weeks, and can now get the ball between the posts from straight infront of them from about 30-35 metres. However, I can't seem to get it at any kind of angle at all. Any advice? (Thought it best to post it in a topic already on kicking techniques)[/b]

Just remember to point the front of the ball at the black dot, I kick goals in a retarded fashion with the ball sitting almost upright with a slight angle, but I've found that my accuracy is greatly improved by kicking it like it's a drop goal.

If you can, video yourself so we can take a look and analyse it. It's funny how the smallest things can make the largest difference, like foot placement, left arm swing (if you're a right footed kicker) and all that jaz.

I'll try and take two videos, one with a low tee and one with a high tee. (I tend to prefer the high one, but lately I've been seeing if it really makes much of a diffrence.)

I'll post 'em when I've got it done.

back to woldog's question: i'd say the best place would to begin would be the good old torpedo punt. not the most accurate but easy learn and good for making metres. here is a short instructional video of james hook kicking torps. he seems to pretty much cover everyting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMz6SqfAog

Have a look at the AFL drop punt too. I found it easier than the spiral punt to learn, and with the proper technique you can shave off a good 50-60 metres with it.
Granted it's not as long as the spiral punt but I would recommend it because I think it's easier to execute under pressure, where as with the spiral the angle of the ball has to be pretty exact for a good kick.

Latest posts