• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kieswetter makes England ODI squad.

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Source(as I might sue myself for unauthourised usage)

Man of the Match in the World Twenty 20 final Craig Kieswetter has been selected as England’s only keeper for the upcoming 50 over games against Scotland and the Aussies.

The Somerset ‘keeper was one of the finds of the tournament in the Caribbean and has already figured for the England 50 over side in Bangladesh over the winter. In those 3 games Kieswetter scored over 100 runs at an average of 43, including a highest score of 107 (his maiden ODI century).

Also recalled to the squad is Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood and Stuart Broad. The latter pair were rested for the recent test series against Bangladesh. Alistair Cook has been left out, presumably as Kieswetter will open the batting. Another star of England success in the West Indies, Michael Yardy also gets selected for the 50 over format and no doubt his spin bowling, along with Graeme Swann will be key during those middle overs.

England’s first ODI of the summer will take place a week on Saturday against Scotland in Edinburgh before the opening game against Australia at the Rose Bowl on the 22nd.

I think Prior is the man for test matches although I do prefer to see James Foster given another shot be England.

Kieswetter is a good ODI / T20 option for England, but unless his keeping improves he will not be an England Test match Wicketkeeper.

I think Prior is the man for test matches although I do prefer to see James Foster given another shot be England.

Kieswetter is a good ODI / T20 option for England, but unless his keeping improves he will not be an England Test match Wicketkeeper.

Thing is, he is already a good keeper. The "experts" who say this have only seen him on England duty and many only since the T20 World Cup. I have watched Kieswetter many times at Taunton in 4 and 1 day cricket and every time his keeping has been good, little if no mistakes. He's the best batsman-keeper England have and I'm not being biased.

I dont agree there.

Ive seen him keep as well and he would not do the job at the moment for England. He makes many errors, his glove position is his weakness. I do think he will eventually be England test keeper but at this moment in time he is not.

At the moment Somerset have been playing him and another keeper, Jos Buttler with the keeping duties being shared. Buttler is marginally the better keeper but CRaig is the better batsmen by far. So if and when Craig becomes part of Englands future we have a good replacement.

Butler is who David Lloyd is raving about when he talks about wicket keepers.

I'd also like to see Foster being given another chance but it's hard to see that happening as keeping ability isn't the priority for the selectors. Kieswetter was always going to get a chance with these ODIs. I can't see them making too many changes on who they used in the Caribbean despite the longer format. I'm not sure what Bell is doing there though.

I don't rate Bell at all ... outside of Collingwood who would you go with?

I don't think Bopara is good enough. I still Rob Key is the man the selectors should go with but he has not scored the runs like has in previous seasons.

Latest posts