• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwis in particular - which Haka?

Conor in Dublin

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Former All-Black Craig Dowd reckoned that that the ABs were a bit disrespectful to Ireland in Chicago when they did the Kapa O Pango haka in advance of the game. http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...land-in-chicago-was-disrespectful-763297.html

Ireland definitely didn't see it that way but I'd like a Kiwi to tell me whats true. I've always felt that the ABs did the Ka Mate routinely but reserved the Kapa for a gesture of greater respect; used for games where they genuinely believed they might lose. I vaguely felt we earned the Kapa with the 2013 test and was delighted to see it.

Am I wrong?

Just BTW the ABs were absolutely not disrespectful; quite the reverse. Beat the Aussies and there's a huge burst of whinging - the ref was wrong, the pitch was wrong, the gravity was wrong. NZ had more reason to be disappointed but reacted with class.

I saw Christian Cullen rolling his eyes when he was asked about this, literally. He said it was actually quite the contrary. I believe he said something along the lines of it being a special kind of haka, used for special ocassions.

Here is how they tear Craig Dowd a new one. They basically say he is factually incorrect and has no idea what he is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiNjqJqOms

Read that article when he wrote it and rolled my eyes to the back of my head. Don't know much about hakas beyond what I've read up on them, but to suggest that the All Blacks were trying to disrespect us, or stir the pot in any way is just an ignorant headline to put out to an Irish population that could very well say "well this guy has a better idea of it than us, maybe he's right", not that anyone really reacted that way from what I saw.I think the general reaction was to debate the performance of the haka itself.
Look the haka is good for the game, and for the uninformed person when you ask them about rugby, I would imagine the haka is probably one of the first things he'd mention. The novelty has largely worn off for me, unless there's a challenge of sorts put together for it, which has always led to a really intense game of rugby. I used to begrudge the psychological advantage NZ got from it, but I think at this stage as an opposing player if the prospect of putting your body on the line for 80 minutes is less intimidating to you than a traditional war dance you've seen a thousand times before, you're probably in the wrong business.

I've always understood it as Kapa O Pango is saved for the big games, so in doing so last week they showed more respect. Perhaps to Ireland as a whole team/nation rather than an individual person.

I think Ireland forming an 8 more than covered any tributes anyway.

I hope this thread doesnt tuen into another arguement about the haka's place in rugby....

I have no idea why the All Blacks chose the Kapa O Pango haka for the Irish but it sure didn't do them any good in the game.
If I was in the AB's I'd be pushing to try the original out instead when they get to Dublin.
I prefer the original, it's more rhythmic and has less histrionics.
More rugby people know it around the world and it has a bite in its anthemic pulse.
I love the original.
There sure wasn't any disrespect in what the AB's did.
I had a Skype call from my 81 year old mum in Auckland the other day and she was telling me how everyone back home was all about congratulating the Irish on their victory.
It appears that the vast majority of Kiwis believe Ireland are a far better team than the notion of never having beaten the All Blacks in 111 years so it was just that the Irish broke the record and broke the hoodoo.

I saw a very funny picture posted by an Irish fan who had a large image of the team celebrating after the historic win and underneath in bold letters it had the statement...

"Nobody Beats Ireland 29 times in a Row."

As for the Maori part of our national anthem, it's really helped our dirge of an anthem to become much more musically attractive.

Latest posts