• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwi's The Queensland Of International League?

S

sanzar

After watching this mornings Tri Nations game, I am really starting to see similarities between the Queensland Origin team of old (I say of Old, as NSW are just aas passionate these days) and the Kiwi's! While the error rate was high this morning and GB generally did lose the plot, I do feel that it was pretty obvious who wanted to win that game the most, and it was definately the kiwi's! The Kiwi's seemingly started this series with a patch job for a team after NRL and ESL limited their access to high profile players and generally stuffed them around, but the Kiwi's coach Brian McClennan has instilled an amount of passion, pride and general team solidarity that I don't I recall seeing in NZ rugby league. So much so that it seems incomprehensable that they won't be in this years final, and if they are, I can't imagine Stacey Jones wouldn't change his mind and come back for one last game... in fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't agree to play the rest of the series!
To add to what McClennan has already contributed, he has now come out and stuck it to the ARL and threatened them with boycott if NZ rugby league isn't treated fairly in future series:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Outraged Kiwis to boycott Roos
By Steve Mascord
October 30, 2005

NEW Zealand say they will tell Australia to "go to hell" next year and boycott Tests against the world champions unless they get a better deal from NRL clubs and international league bosses.

Incensed at having to cross the world to play Great Britain in the early hours of this morning in London because Australia simply wouldn't, Kiwis coach Brian McClennan told The Sunday Telegraph that if his side won the Tri-Nations, they would refuse to defend the ***le in 2006.

"We'll turn around and say 'Australia, we won't play you. Go to hell'," McClennan said. "Treat us properly!

"We're the little brother, we get slapped around. We can't even rule on our own players, whether they're injured or not. How bad's that, mate? That's just unfair. We get treated poorly."

Unafraid to step on toes in his first year in the job, McClennan said the NZRL was sick of being a distant third when it came to political muscle because it has only one full-time professional club, the Warriors. Among the Kiwis' beefs are:

The entire Tri-Nations schedule being engineered to protect the sensitivities of Australian players, who wanted days off at home before travelling to Britain.

The refusal of Australian clubs to allow the Kiwi doctor the same right to rule a player in or out of the Test side as green-and-gold medico Hugh Hazard enjoys.

Australia refusing to play under New Zealand's leading referee, Glen Black.

Winger Lesley Vainikolo undergoing shoulder surgery at the behest of his club Bradford - allegedly without anyone in the Kiwi camp being told. Also missing from the Kiwi squad because of surgery are NRL prodigies Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall.

Advertisement:
Asked if the "poor relation" status fired the Kiwis up, McClennan replied: "Oh, yeah mate. Everyone is jumping into us about the field size (at Ericsson Stadium).
"Is there much said about the (Australian) physio holding the ball for a player to kick a goal (last week)?

"Fair go! That is against the rules."

Britain and Bradford coach Brian Noble, who has been at odds with McClennan all week over Vainikolo, agreed the Australians had too much power. He said he hoped for "more equality" next season, when the Tri-Nations is held in Australasia.

Noble favours referees from neutral countries in Tests - a system the Australian aversion to Black has brought to an end.

"The Aussies are the dominant force in the game and have been for 37 years," Noble said.

"You have to do something against them. Nobody has done anything yet."

The Sunday Telegraph[/b]

Now, I'm an Aussie, but I'm so glad this has happened! I'm sick of the NRL having all the say on NZ's internationals! It's been more detremental to international RL than almost anything else, as it's denying top quality opposition and reducing the legitmacy of the games. Good on McClennan! I hope that NZ go on and win the series and the ARL and RFL is forced to start treating NZ as an equal partner... International league has been very badly run for a long time, and this could be the shake up it needs.

Fair play to ya sanzar for printing the article and comments. This has been something that has ****** me off about international league and one of the reasons it is a poor second to international union.

McClennan has done a phenomenal job since coming in and I'm glad someone has finally had the balls to stand up.

THE PHYSIO HOLDING THE BALL FOR A KICK AT GOAL???? What the f/k is that? The other 12 blokes are too f/king lazy or too good to get on the ground and hold the ball.
That two points should have been nullified (if the kick went over). I didn't hear the aussie commentators breathe a word about it

(P.S. Phil Gould is so biased it's not even funny)

If they don't change the **** next year THEN I SAY F/KEM -- they can shove the tri-nations and anzac tests up their ass. And you watch kiwi league players deflect to union in a few years if there's nothing to aspire too other than club footy.

I want the Kiwi's to win this tournament If GB don't.
I am fining it hard to support a GB team that is basically just a combination of Leeds and Bradford.

yeh..u guys need all the kiwis/aussies that bradford and leeds have in that squad

GOOD ON U mclennon....hes as grassroots as rugby league gets,i certainly hope he does not coach the warriors if cleary gets da sak(altho that wont be the case)...but hope not becoz it will drive him away from the international game...where he is doin a grand job

Why not coach an NRL and Kiwis Side? Its not exactly like being the Kiwi Coach is a full time job like the All Black coaching role - they only play the Anzac test, and then the Tri Nations.

McClennan is very grass roots kiwi and always will be...............

The kiwi personnel hasn't changed too much. We still have the same old useless players around
<
. Nor has the kiwi game plan changed dramatically.............though you can't teach too much a particular style in a rep team with limited time.

What has changed is the players attitude as Sanzar said. McClennan has encouuraged the players to be all they are capable of being...............very much like Queensland of old. There has been a major shift in the players attitude which as a result is starting to bring out the best of players. McClennan did this with Hibiscus Coast and is simply applying the same principles to a more skillful group of players.

I didn't realise that Australia did not want to travel in one week to the other side of the world but told the kiwis too. The problem now for them is that GB have had their rusty game (they really started to get better in parts) and will be better prepared for Australia than how they were for the kiwis. The kiwis on the other hand have got the win and will have a much needed week off rest before they play again.

The ARL won't give a rat's arse at New Zealand boycotting the series. It's a privledge for them to play Australia, not the other way round. Just remember that Kiwis.

Originally posted by scot@Oct 31 2005, 06:38 PM
The ARL won't give a rat's arse at New Zealand boycotting the series. It's a privledge for them to play Australia, not the other way round. Just remember that Kiwis.
YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND A ******
all they're looking for is equality but no-one would expect you to be for that you racist prick.

no international league will see even more Tuquiris, Rogers and Sailors crossing over to union. think about it, jackass

It sure is a privledge getting shafted by Australia on just about everything that happens in the international game. From scheduling through to availability of players the kiwis get shafted by Australia every year. I say good on McCleenan finally someone that is prepared to step up to the aussie crap. I think nz should pull out of the tri nations even if we don't win it. Australia don't give a dam about international league why should NZ.

Yes it is a priveledge to play Australia...It's a priveledge to put on a New Zealand jersey full stop...However, it can become a burden if New Zealand continues to get shafted by Australia. It is a priveledge for Australia to play New Zealand as well you twat. Especially in a competition that is this close for a change. It's this sort of **** that ruins international rugby league....That and the fact that theres only three decent teams in the world.

Originally posted by stranger@Oct 31 2005, 06:46 PM
no international league will see even more Tuquiris, Rogers and Sailors crossing over to union. think about it, jackass
What the crap?

Originally posted by scot+Nov 1 2005, 12:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scot @ Nov 1 2005, 12:57 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-stranger
@Oct 31 2005, 06:46 PM
no international league will see even more Tuquiris, Rogers and Sailors crossing over to union.  think about it, jackass
What the crap? [/b]
Why do you think they shifted over to Union?

International Union is what attracts League Players - a chance to play on the World Stage often.

Originally posted by scot+Oct 31 2005, 11:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scot @ Oct 31 2005, 11:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-stranger
@Oct 31 2005, 06:46 PM
no international league will see even more Tuquiris, Rogers and Sailors crossing over to union.  think about it, jackass
What the crap? [/b]
dumbass
<

Don't be so naive scot. Australia needs NZ to be competative in international rugby league just as much as they need GB to... If either of these nations boycots Australia, then there won't be much point in having any international league games...

Originally posted by sanzar+Nov 1 2005, 06:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Nov 1 2005, 06:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-scot
@Oct 31 2005, 06:38 PM
Don't be so naive scot. Australia needs NZ to be competative in international rugby league just as much as they need GB to... If either of these nations boycots Australia, then there won't be much point in having any international league games... [/b]
Bingo, Johnny we have a winner!
<

Australia would be more than happy to have rugby league to themselves.

Originally posted by scot+Nov 1 2005, 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scot @ Nov 1 2005, 07:42 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Nov 1 2005, 06:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-scot
@Oct 31 2005, 06:38 PM

Don't be so naive scot. Australia needs NZ to be competative in international rugby league just as much as they need GB to... If either of these nations boycots Australia, then there won't be much point in having any international league games...
Bingo, Johnny we have a winner!
<

Australia would be more than happy to have rugby league to themselves. [/b]
No we wouldn't... If that was the case we wouldn't even pick a Roos squad! The ARL DESPERATELY wants people to care about international league again, because right now all they have is Origin (the NRL being controlled by Newscorp)...

The demise of France as an internaional power is what has hindered international Rugby League, that coupled with Ausralia being so much better than everybody else there is no real competition for them.

The games so far this year have been exciting, the two kiwis-kangaroos games beat this years state of origin for excitement hands down so the scene has promise but the NRL/ARL can't keep screwing the NZRL, they'll walk if they have to

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Oct 31 2005, 03:07 AM
I want the Kiwi's to win this tournament If GB don't.
I am fining it hard to support a GB team that is basically just a combination of Leeds and Bradford.
i would have thought you'd be supporting the jersey itself first and foremost and not the actual members of the team..?

Latest posts