• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Knee rehab

G

goranski

just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for exercises for a meniscus/cartilage injury in the knee...i've had some success doing physical therapy with some light leg exercises involving mainly the quad muscles and half- and quarter-wall squats.

Firstly, I think this is slightly beyond any of our actual knowledge base as a physician should be consulted.
However, if I had to give some advice for training, I would say back off of the weight and boost your reps. Focus on doing lifts with perfect form.
I would stay away from squats, and move to a leg press machine and only do quarter or half way on those. Make sure that your feet stay out in front of your knees, and that your knees (when performing the exercise) never extend out past your feet.
Then I would do standard leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises. Again, lower your weight, and up your reps. Also, I would work each leg individually instead of together. This will allow you to really focus on your form.
I'm not sure what sort of cardio you do, but, supplement some of it with incline walking. It's less impactful on your joints, is a great leg workout, and is quite healthy.

Thanks, I have started isolating each side on the leg press at the gym to build up the left leg. Other exercises that have helped in the past few months have been the deadlift and hamstring curls which have lower impact on the knee - although I can't do full leg extensions at any weight.

I actually did have an appointment some time ago with a quack who deemed knee surgery unnecessary and sent me to physical therapy where I did a range of exercises at quarter- and half-movement, although the problem wasn't completely solved.

Anyway, after rehab-ing for a few months, I was cleared and have been playing rugby for the past year or so without too many problems although I can't lock on the left side anymore - only on the right with my good knee bent and mostly doing the calf-style driving on the inside with my left injured side.

I suffer badly in my left knee after damaging it 6 years ago, it has got better after strengthening work on my calf to support my weight.

I've just broken my leg and torn my collateral ligament in one go, knee injuries are the ultimate anti-lulz.

my effectiveness in the game has been greatly reduced since injuring my knee...i used to be really solid and explosive

Calf raises are good, one of my main leg exercises now...

I had meniscus surgery and one of the best exercises I've done are leg extensions. Start with light weight and progressively increase. Plyometrics are the best way to regain your speed and even increase it.

O'Rothlain post is spot on. It dpends on where you are in the stages of recovery and rehab. This should ahev been managed effeictively for you but I sense it hasnt.

Plyometrics are the best way to regain your speed and even increase it.[/b]

Please God do not start this unless you get the all clear from a GP. I don;t know the specifics so I cant comment but plyometrics is hard core on the joints and causes serious wear and tear anyway.

A physio or soemone should have worked with you every step, but seems not so I'm not pushing my own industry but I would defintely say look into working with a physio and a trainer to get back to fitness. In this occaision it would be money well spent and they will likely work with you.

I guess you're form the States so not entirely sure of the name of the qualification there but over here in UK it would be GP/exercise referral. Just talk to someone very qualified by the ACSM.

I find that a pool workout is pretty good as its low impact on joints, whilst good for keeping up the cardio... Knee injuries are a beeetch!

Latest posts