• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lancaster in talks with Toulon

It will be interesting to see how he does at the job. He wasn't terrible for England but just bottled it at the last minute. I hope he does well.

It will be interesting to see how he does at the job. He wasn't terrible for England but just bottled it at the last minute. I hope he does well.

I would consider that he could do very well there as part of the coaching staff if he can assist in bringing the esprit de corps back that was there when Laporte was there full time.

heard about that as he can not have Galthie until the appeals are over and done with, as he in technically still attached to Montpellier although he is allowed nowhere near the club. looks like Dominguez is out before starting and he is bringing in Del Maso for the forwards. Jaques Delmas also looks to be on his way after the final fiasco where he took a lot of the flak from Boudjellal. be interesting to see how it all pans out and if FTD keeps the 10 spot, his advantage is both Escande and Pelissie were 9's at Montpellier.
As far as Lancaster is concerned his main work would be knitting together an allsorts team of so many different Nationalities and of course the TOP 14 which is fairly unique in comparison to the rest of world rugby and there are not many if any Englishmen who have succeded in the TOP 14, although i'm not saying he will not, just things are stacked against him.

Last edited:
I would've said more English men have succeeded than not.
Wilko, both Armitages, Abendanon, Strettle
A few European players of the year in there
Palmer and Haskell did well at Stade, and the Lunds at Biarritz.
Floods been a bit disappointing, though.

i do believe this thread was about Lancaster Toulon and his job as coach, how many of the above have head coached FRENCH TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay on subject

As far as Lancaster is concerned his main work would be knitting together an allsorts team of so many different Nationalities and of course the TOP 14 which is fairly unique in comparison to the rest of world rugby and there are not many if any Englishmen who have succeded in the TOP 14, although i'm not saying he will not, just things are stacked against him.

i do believe this thread was about Lancaster Toulon and his job as coach, how many of the above have head coached FRENCH TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay on subject

Ahem... He is staying on topic and responding to your post...

As noone mentioned players we were talking about Lancaster coach's job and TOULON NO PLAYERS MENTIONED????????????? as far as englishmen i refered to it was as coaches in the TOP 14 most people would understand that, obviously not you you are splitting hairs

so here we go again NO or very few Englishmen AS COACHES HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN THE top 14 HAPPY.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop playing the ****ing victim because you said a bull**** statement which was, surprise surprise, a dig at the English again

How many Englishmen have tried coaching in the Top 14?
Ellis, Worsley, Richards.... that's all I can think of (bound to have missed a few though)

Stuart lancaster would be a good pick for Toulon he's far more qualified and experienced than Dominguez. Aparently Steve Meehan the backs coach might also be on his way out. So Toulon are looking thin on ground in terms of coaching.
Hard to see what Mourad sees in Dominguez who has zero coaching experience. Toulon had better make up their mind quick. They should hire lancaster and hold on to Dominguez for now to bring some stability before the start of the season and then move lancaster to head coach if Dominguez is not up to it.
The biggest issue for any newcomer to Toulon is their ability to deal (put up) with Mourad who is an overbearing president and must be impossible to work with at the best of times. laporte dealt with the man well because of his unique ability to relate to pretty much everyone around him be it the aussie star, the physio, the fans. It comes down to personality and intepersonal skills and in that department laporte is brilliant, not just a good rugby brain.
Wilkinson has succeeded for the same reason not just because of his playing talent. He learnt the language, established himself as a leader on and off the pitch but most important was able to relate to people aroun him and establish a good rapport with them.

Last edited:
I think he'd struggle there, possibly badly.

Most of his England issues arose from not knowing how to handle the egos and demands of international players. Add in confused selections and being blinded by the Burgess superstardom and you do wonder what chance he'd have of handling the Galactico egos of Habana, Nonu, Smith, Fernandez-Lobbe, Giteau etc.

He'll have learnt lots from the England experience, but it still feels like his strength is very much in age group development. I wish him well if he tries though and for sure we need more of our coaches to broaden their horizons.

Latest posts