LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
next up Super rugby?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/10/stuart-lancaster-england-rugby-world-cup-failure

I'm sure he is a nice guy and but his selections was awful

And I'm not buying this:
“I don’t think there was any winner in the end,†said Lancaster of Burgess’ selection. “If I’d known he was going to go back to rugby league then my decisions would have been different. But we didn’t know that at the time.

“He was a great and positive influence in the group. He worked hard and earned the right in our minds to be in the World Cup squad. It’s a shame the whole thing played out the way it did

"I don't think there was any winner in the end," said Lancaster of Burgess' selection. "If I'd known he was going to go back to rugby league then my decisions would have been different. But we didn't know that at the time.
So... he picked Burgess during the World Cup, not because he was the best player for the role, but as a stepping stone in The Burgess Project? :huh:

Not to kick a man while he's down and all. I like Lancaster as a guy, and it's sad that it still affects him so much. (Although I wasn't expecting anything different.) For his sake, I hope he finds some success to overshadow the WC, so that he doesn't have to spend his life reflecting on it.

Wouldn't mind him coming to Gloucester! Although he may find it difficult, because that would mean he'd have to select Gloucester players...

Last edited:
and Sam pulled me on the way out and said 'do you fancy a coffee?'

"We had a chat and he said 'I want to have a think about playing rugby union, how do I go about doing it?'
I still really worry about Burgess' intentions. Think he really saw this a self promotion exercise and always intended to bugger off back to league.

Still the interview doesn't ask any of the questions I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Still??

It's not even been a year...
Barely 6 months.

I think Burgess might of stayed in Union a bit longer if the press hadn't gone after him so much.

Lancaster should never had picked him in the first place, regardless of how long he was staying, it is the World Cup FFS.

Burgess shouldn't have gone to Bath either IMO. Reckon Bath was a poor fit IMO It wasn't like there was any benefit of playing outside Ford considering he wasn't being picked by Lancaster.

Still??

It's not even been a year...
I was expecting a certain level of background unease, feelings that aren't quite right, and a lot of reflection. But saying that he thinks about it "every minute of every day", six months on... it doesn't surprise me, but it's very sad.

I was expecting a certain level of background unease, feelings that aren't quite right, and a lot of reflection. But saying that he thinks about it "every minute of every day", six months on... it doesn't surprise me, but it's very sad.

Clearly, that's an exaggeration - it's a figure of speech.

If he's giving interviews in 5 years time saying he hasn't slept since 2015 then it's sad, but currently... it's about what I'd expect.

He barely played outside Ford anyway as Ford was off playing in the 6 nations.

Did the press go after him? Only thing I really think of it happening was when rumors of him returning it back to league started.

Let's put it this way:
You are in charge of the richest union in world rugby.
You are in charge of said team for what will properly be the last Home World cup England will get for a very very very long time.
You are in a pool with 2 of Englands Biggest rivals Wales and Aus (Both of whom are beatable esp at home)
You then lose Against Wales @ Twickenham
And then Lose against Aus @ Twickenham
During this time talk of coaching clashes and players getting annoyed.
Your selections that were getting questioned by Media and supporters are not proving the critics wrong.
And you become the Englands First Head coach to fail to make it out of the pool stages.

TBH I would be thinking about it prob everyday for at least a year (Or until i manage to get another Coaching job).

- - - Updated - - -

Did the press go after him? Only thing I really think of it happening was when rumors of him returning it back to league started.

Yeah they did IMO,

Last edited:
I hope it is an exaggeration, but I'm inclined to believe it isn't because I can imagine the feels myself.

I think most people want to leave behind some kind of legacy or sense of personal or professional achievement during their lifetime. If I had failed in the way Lancaster had, tarring my own name in the eyes of (millions of) others whilst also failing my own expectations, it would eat at me. It's unlikely Lancaster will ever be the England coach again, and for an English coach, what other achievements can you gain in the sport that will overlook your failed tenure as an England coach? Would I be happy with my career if I failed England spectacularly but led Gloucester to a Premiership win? I don't know.

To us spectators, it's a sport. But for the people who play and coach in it, a lot of self-worth is tied up in your successes and failures. So I can kind of see why it might not be an exaggeration.

Burgess carried the can of Englands failiures, unfortunately.

For me, after reflecting for 6 months, I don't judge Lancaster too harshly. It is the peeps at the RFU and those who picked him to be permanent England coach at the time who I blame. He should never have been offered it due to his lack of experience at the top level amd proven track record of winning. They did not learn from giving Johnno the position.

Press didn't go after Burgess anymore than any other player. Robshaw got it worst by FAR.
I think Burgess would've stayed if we didn't get knocked out in the group.
Being part of a losing side and a toxic backroom environment (Farrell Sr, if reports are to be believed) - as soon as Russell Crowe turns up with his cheque book it's gonna be an easy decision

For me, after reflecting for 6 months, I don't judge Lancaster too harshly. It is the peeps at the RFU and those who picked him to be permanent England coach at the time who I blame. He should never have been offered it due to his lack of experience at the top level amd proven track record of winning. They did not learn from giving Johnno the position.

Completely agree. Then having a very inexperienced Coaching team (bar roundtree) did not help.

To be honest, he was always going to go back to League at some point.

Lancaster was not a strong or experienced enough coach for the England job or a good enough man manger to deal with the Burgess situation.

If Burgess had stayed, and in the back row, he wouldn't have been far off a selection on merit by now. He's a talent and a big character who I think would have thrived under Jones's harder edged leadership. But he should have been told at outset that the RWC was a non starter.

Can't imagine any Super team being interested in Lancaster tbh.

Of the 10,000 questions I might ask Lancaster, I'm not sure anything to do with Sam Burgess would be one of them to begin with tbh.

Lancaster's emotional state would be next on the list after Burgess. Before both questions would come "What's your favourite Pop Tart flavour, Lanny?"

Was a story knocking about that Gatland was thinking of adding him to the Welsh backroom staff. My opinion of Lancaster is that he may not be at this stage in his career a man cut out for the head coach of an international side, he was influenced to heavily it seems by the powers that be, coaching staff and senior players and he just could not cope. As a coach he seems to have developed players and that is what he is good at.

Latest posts