• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Larkham Signs with Ricoh Black Rams

M

melon

Good luck to the great man.

He thoroughly deserves this, and heres hoping its an overly fat cheque and I have my fingers crossed that legal action against the scourge that is the Edinborough administration will be even more fruitful.

:bana:

Larkham signs with Tokyo club
By Jim Morton
January 16, 2008 12:00am

WALLABIES great Stephen Larkham is off to Tokyo, announcing today he will finish his glittering rugby union career - so cruelly shortened at the Rugby World Cup - in Japan.

Larkham today announced he had signed a three-year contract with Tokyo club Ricoh Black Rams which starts in April.

The 33-year-old five-eighth was relieved to finally settle his future after a prior lucrative contract with Edinburgh collapsed when the club was taken over by administrators appointed by the Scotland Rugby Union.

"I've always wanted to play rugby in Japan, and now get the chance to do so a little earlier than expected," Larkham said.

"My family is very excited by the opportunity to live in Tokyo and I am looking forward to playing for Ricoh.

"I'm currently enjoying the longest rest of my rugby career and I'm feeling mentally and physically refreshed."

Larkham's 102-Test international career ended in tears in October when he was forced to watch Australia's upset 12-10 World Cup quarter-final loss to England from the sidelines in Marseille.

The Brumbies maestro played only one match in his World Cup swansong after suffering a knee injury in training and then undergoing surgery twice after a subsequent infection.

Larkham's agent Jason Macarthur declared the playmaker the biggest-name signing in Japanese rugby history, and a major boost for the game in that country.

"Stephen's decision is a huge coup for Japanese rugby and its growing fan base," he said.

Macarthur also confirmed a claim for compensation would be pursued against the former owners and administrators of Edinburgh.

[/b]

Ahhhh, so he's taken the Van Der Weshuizen way to an easy, cushy rugby posting with lots and lots and lots of money eh? Good for him I say, considering how the SRU and everyone else have been playing around with him for the last year or so I'd say he deserves a break.

How long though before the September - January season bores him silly though?

In all fairness, good luck to him. One of my favourite players. Such a shame didn't get to see him at work in the RWC.

Sad, I'll never get to see him play again. When am I going to get to see Japanese Rugby? Probably Never.
Good Luck, I've admired him since I started watching this sport.

i've caught the odd japanese game on the rugby channel, its a very fast game, all these hypo japs, they seem to never stop running. it was quite enjoyable to watch too.

Sad, I'll never get to see him play again. When am I going to get to see Japanese Rugby? Probably Never.
Good Luck, I've admired him since I started watching this sport.
[/b]

I'll post a guide on how to view the TOP LEAGUE highlights soonish.

definitely one of the smartest players. his body has taken a beating over the years - might last a bit longer in Japan than the European comps

Latest posts