• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Last ditch attempt to get into proffesional/semi proffesional rugby

KanyeWest

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Been thinking about this recently and it's probably time to be honest. I'm from a part of the country where rugby doesn't really exist, the local clubs are of a poor standard and it's not like Leicester or Northampton etc where there are scouts at every school game. I captained the school it was almost frowned upon to play rugby instead of football. The only route was through clubs and there isn't a proffesional club in the area. You get good players at different clubs but because the sport isn't big nothing ever comes of them.

I've always trained hard and have done extra training on the off chance that something might happen. Pre season training starts tomorrow so I went to do some extra kicking on my own today and for the first time I was a bit embarrassed. Almost feels like I'm wasting my time now.

I'm 21 now and am at a stage where I need to go after opportunities rather than wait for them to come to me. I love this sport. What can I do as of tomorrow morning to get myself into semi proffesional or proffesional rugby in terms of clubs/steps?

Highlight reels and just send them to as many potential Nat 2, Nat 1 or Championship teams as possible really. (National league 2 is still a good standard to be scouted Will Hurrell found himself in Nat league 2 after having quite a ego on him at tigers academy).
Could also look abroad, just be prepared to have to work a few jobs to make it viable to begin with.

Good example Ed Slater
Was playing for Milton Keynes rugby
Went to Aus
Worked as a cleaner and at a pizza place.
Played for East suburbs rugby
Got scouted by NSW Waratahs
Mike Penistone who was a former tiger happened to be coaching in NSW and hooked him up with a Tigers trail.

Things can happen.
BUT you have to be willing to grind and even then the chances are slim.

Highlight reels and just send them to as many potential Nat 2, Nat 1 or Championship teams as possible really. (National league 2 is still a good standard to be scouted Will Hurrell found himself in Nat league 2 after having quite a ego on him at tigers academy).
Could also look abroad, just be prepared to have to work a few jobs to make it viable to begin with.

Good example Ed Slater
Was playing for Milton Keynes rugby
Went to Aus
Worked as a cleaner and at a pizza place.
Played for East suburbs rugby
Got scouted by NSW Waratahs
Mike Penistone who was a former tiger happened to be coaching in NSW and hooked him up with a Tigers trail.

Things can happen.
BUT you have to be willing to grind and even then the chances are slim.

Say I went to a National League club for pre season and started in the 2nd team for example, do you think there would be an opportunity to work my way into the 1st team (hypothetically) or is that not how it works? I'm guessing Sheffield, Sedgley Park etc have more than one team

Say I went to a National League club for pre season and started in the 2nd team for example, do you think there would be an opportunity to work my way into the 1st team (hypothetically) or is that not how it works? I'm guessing Sheffield, Sedgley Park etc have more than one team

Yep I would you would have a pretty good chance if you are obviously good enough and impress in the teams below.
I'm pretty sure those teams have like 4/5 teams.

Latest posts