• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Last orders for Magners as Celtic League seeks new sponsors

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.thescore.ie/last-orders-for-magners-as-celtic-league-seeks-new-sponsors-122543-Apr2011/
http://www.thescore.ie/last-orders-for-magners-as-celtic-league-seeks-new-sponsors-122543-Apr2011/

RUGBY’S CELTIC LEAGUE will this week begin the search for a new sponsor, after current sponsors Magners confirmed their intention not to renew their current deal.

Magners, the overseas branding of the Clonmel-based Bulmers cider brand, has been the league’s ***le sponsor since 2006, but today’s Sunday Times reports confirmation from its parent company C&C that the sponsorship would not be renewed.

“Given the brand direction of Magners, the group wants to look at other opportunities and is doing so,†a spokesman said.

One of the reasons that the sponsorship might not be being pursued any further is the branding problems faced within Ireland, where the Magners name is not used; the cider is branded as Bulmers within the Republic, but as Magners abroad.

As a result, given the dominance of Irish sides in the competition â€" with Munster, Leinster and Ulster currently occupying the top three spots in the league table â€" the brand has a limited marketing appeal.

The league has survived turbulent financial times in the past; now in its tenth season, the league has survived the collapse of Setanta Sports, which held exclusive airing rights in Scotland and both sides of the Irish border.

It has also had to undergo significant internal restructuring in the past; in its third season in 2003, the league saw the number of participating clubs fall significantly, when the Welsh Rugby Union restructured the club scene in the country to form five new provincial-style sides.

The expansion of the league this season to include Italian teams, however, means that the league could now pursue a ***le sponsor from that country; the Sunday Times suggests that Fiat could be one of the companies considering taking on the deal.

The new deal should be worth a hell of a lot more than what Magners paid. Since Magners got the naming rights to the Celtic League, there have been three HCup winners and an Amlin Cup winner from the participating countries which boosts the profile of the tournament. The playoffs add value from a TV perspective. Italian participation opens the league up to about 60million more viewers. I think there'll be a big wedge of money coming to the WRU, SRU, IRFU and FIR from whoever secures the sponsorship of the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is either:
Directline
GoCompare
MoneySupermarket
or Churchill

Something insurance based, after Guinness --> Aviva, and Brains SA --> Admiral

It'll be something awesome. WWE should sponsor it. The wrestling people are trying to break new markets.

They could get the Rock and Stone Cold as special guest referees....Imagine it, Rog getting a stone-cold stunner then he slowly gets up, turns and gets rock-bottomed.

That's it, it's gonna happen.

That.
Would.
Be.
Amazing.

Hulk Hogan could run out in the dieing moments of the match and get someone in the fact with a 2x4

Will miss magners as I liked the design of it but don't be surprised to see Guinness have a look at this. But as Snoop said the League has gone up in strength and the new deal will be alot more lucrative as the amour of exposure too is also unreal.

Not sure my brain could handle it if Guinness took over from Magners - I still call the Aviva the GP

Brains could be another possibility, but I doubt they'd have the money. Guiness certainly should have the dough. I just hope it's something decent. The Fiat League just sounds wrong!

I think it will be Guinness or a brand that is already associated with Rugby. Maybe a minor sponsor in Heineken Cup will take it up as realisically there is alot more exposure as main sponsor with Celtic Rugby

Aren't Guinness supposed to be losing money hand over foot already? I'd expect them to try tapping into a new market rather then working on an existing established market.

Aren't Guinness supposed to be losing money hand over foot already? I'd expect them to try tapping into a new market rather then working on an existing established market.

In Ireland though Bullitt they pump money in here through advertising and hosting special Guinness 'Area 22' nights as well as sponsoring all Irelands home internationals

someone with marketing appeal in Italy too, Guinness could be a good one, Fiat not likely

One of the lads over at Leinsterfans pointed out that Celtic Rugby have patented the name Pro12.

Can see a total rebrand coming this summer. â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬â'¬

D2576806_2.jpg

S2387754_for_9863275_18756.jpg

One of the lads over at Leinsterfans pointed out that Celtic Rugby have patented the name Pro12.

Can see a total rebrand coming this summer. €€€€€€€€€€€

D2576806_2.jpg

S2387754_for_9863275_18756.jpg

Don't mean to be overly pernickity....but you don't pantent those things. You Trademark it...though I shall forgive it this one time, as they keep the records in the patent office.

Only just sign this article, interesting stuff. The fiat league don't have a ring to it, but i presume there will be extra words with it (if they are the sponsors). I hope it wont be a insurance company, that all boring and stuff. Liking that wwe branding ;) Would definitely add a little spice to promo's, and try celebrations would have to improve :p Every match would be like having a superbowl every week haaha

Latest posts