• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Law suggestion

Rugga-lad

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
I sent the following to World Rugby, who in turn suggested i send it to the SARU.

Formulate a law which states: No player shall put a foot into touch and then touching or grabbing the ball deeming the ball to be out.

(Far too often we see players put a foot across the in-goal line and or the touchline, and then grabbing the ball, and then they tell the referee the ball is in touch)
This should be removed from the game as it's un-sportsman like, and it stops play abruptly. The ball should go out "naturally".

Otherwise, formulate a law which states, that in the event of that happening, the player collecting the ball, will concede a lineout (at the touchline), or a scrum in case the ball is close to the end of the in-goal area.

SARU responded back with:

Thank you for the mail.
There will be no law changes allowed by World Rugby (old name: IRB ) until after the rugby World Cup. This particular aspect amongst many others will then serve for consideration and or trial purposes.

Anyway folks, you agree or disagree with my suggestion ?

To be honest, it's not much of a big deal to me. The current rules on this don't bother me at all, and in fact sometimes it's impressive to watch the spatial awareness of a wing to straddle the line and make the catch.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just way way down on the priority list of things that need to be fixed.

Latest posts