League of Nations

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by The Alpha Bro, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose First Team

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Those are some amusingly weak quotes from Melville. Was he that scared by shipping so many points to Scotland? I thought it was the French who had a chicken as their mascot! :p

If he is concerned by a promotion playoff only being every second year then that can be solved by having a golden parachute, or having the playoff in Lions years.

The subtext is that rugby is "our game" and we simply dont care about anywhere else. A pox on his house.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Derpus

Derpus Academy Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Which is why Kenya, for example, could really use the 20 odd million they would stand to gain in the World League model. Can you imagine all the things these fledgling countries could do with some actual money?
    As if a brexit driven England gives two shits about lofty ideals such as 'the good of the game'. No, it's bumbling and confused self interest all the way.

I'm going to put a tenner on England frog marching the 6 nations straight to CVC.

I knew Europe would scupper this proposal the second it came out, and yet i still somehow feel dissapointed.

4. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

I like how England is instantly the scapegoat despite no other side wanting this.

Love the notion that the tri nations are obsessed with growing the game and it's big evil England who is dragging everyone down.
    Let's just ignore the Sunwolves debacle and the flat out refusal to involve the Pacific nations in any SH rugby

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

It's definitely not the SH trying to skim off bigger economies. STFU.

6. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

It's the W̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ good of the game

7. Derpus

Derpus Academy Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

I think we can want something that would be great for the game on the one hand and acknowledge how horrendously garbage our management of the game has been thus far without being inconsistent.

Plus, trying to assert that England aren't big and evil is a frankly indefensible position. :rolleyes:

8. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Let's be honest, the Will of the people doesn't care!

will-greenwood.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. bushytop

bushytop First Team

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Lol... I did start my post with ‘unpopular opinion alert’...

10. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Academy Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

People talk about the panacea of football for competitiveness but there have only ever been 8 winners and only 2 finals haven't featured Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Italy.

Therefore if a competitive 10 team world rugby league could be set up this would be as competitive as football and their world cup.

11. smartcooky

smartcooky Referee Coach and Advisor

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Tasman

Not really "blaming" England for a competition not happening that, if I have to be frank, I didn't give a fat rats arse about anyway.

However, what I can tell you is that if the NZRU chiefs gave what amounted to "we're afraid of what might happen if we were to be relegated" as an excuse, the fans would line them all up and burn them at the stake for heresy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotty507

scotty507 First Team

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Just a thought but rather than have all teams go through in 6n have top 4 from 6N. Top 4 from RC, so less games for tier 1 teams to play, bottom 2 from 6n and RC play tier 2 teams. Just a thought as it

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bruce_ma_goose

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

World Rugby try to allay the fears over relegation by assuring that the second division will be invested in as a competition and that there would be a golden parachute.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47747805

The only problem is that everyone knows that Melville wasnt being sincere with these concerns, so I cant see this changing the English union's mind.

I dont think bringing non European sides over to Europe in Feb and Marchfor the second division really improves things either. I dont get the rationale behind that as a way of increasing revenue.

14. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I think at this stage WR should just leave it. Say it's incompatible with different unions vision and vow to work behind the scenes to bring something workable in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bruce_ma_goose

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

I at least agree that World Rugby are being unusually insistent about this. I can only think there must be things going on behind the scenes that indicate a dire future for SH rugby. The Boks have already felt the need to abandon any restrictions on picking players based in Europe and I'll be amazed if by 2027 the other three Tier1 SH sides haven't had to follow suit. What the hell will Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship look like if that comes to pass?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Derpus

Derpus Academy Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Battle for the heart of rugby, essentially. Does it become a club/eurocentric game like professional football/soccer or can we establish the kind of revenue sharing necessary to sustain the south and bring new nations in.

Sadly, we all know where this goes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FrenchFan

FrenchFan First Team

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

much longer after Italy and France

18. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Academy Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

I think the Championship will be OK. Super Rugby will suffer a bit though.

I think they should just have a closed shop of 10. A single world league of the 6N and RC. This should be acceptable to the 6N teams.

The 6N teams will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ..... (x,1,000,0000) ever ever ever agree to relegation.

19. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Academy Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

If the World Rugby dropped promotion and relegation and accepted a closed shop then I think a deal could be done. This would help the RC teams but screw the Tier 2 teams. But would anybody in the RC and 6N really care about that if they are getting big money?

20. Bruce_ma_goose

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

The thing that gets me is that the report above cites the Scottish and Irish unions as being opposed to relegation (and possibly the whole project?).

First the Top14 and Gallagher Prem came for the PIs, but I said nothing because I wasnt an Islander.
    Then they came for the SH test players, but I said nothing, for I was not from the SH.
    Then they came for the Celts... *gulp*

There are clear signs Scotland and Wales will start losing their best players from their clubs. Early days there. If Italy actually produce talent it will be bought immediately. Ireland are not going to be immune in a few years in any scenario that I can think of.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bruce_ma_goose

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

Are European clubs going to be compelled to release SH players in Sept and Oct for the Rugby Championship? I don't know if that is currently the case? If that could be agreed long term it would mitigate things a lot.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!