• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League of Nations

Oh well nevermind

In fairness, I think this deadline was serving the purpose of getting it sewn up with enough time to start the Nations Championship in 2022. The fact that they were willing to invest so much money and fight so hard to get it done makes me think they will be back at some point.

In fairness, I think this deadline was serving the purpose of getting it sewn up with enough time to start the Nations Championship in 2022. The fact that they were willing to invest so much money and fight so hard to get it done makes me think they will be back at some point.

Honestly i have no strong feelings either way, 6N is great and doesnt need changing but was curious how it would work and if it would be an improvement but hearing its over im not disappointed or unhappy tbh.

Prob be back eventually yeah.

Agreed I still think that we will end up with a closed shop 10 team tier 1 only tournament.

gutted, was excited about non world cup international rugby for a while there

Reading a lot of doom and gloom about this on the SH forums (particularly Australia). Some saying that this is the beginning of the end for Union in Oz and that SA will look to try and manoeuvre themselves out of Sanzaar into the 6 Nations (7Nations)... both of which (if true) would have a destabilising effect on NZ also.

Not sure about the whole SA to the 6N thing tbh, sounds unlikely (but you never know) but having followed Australian Union matters for the last 6 or 7 years (got interested just prior to the last Lions series there) it's not just scare mongering. Regardless of the the fact that their U20's look fantastic right now, the fears are that the Australian Rugby Union will not be able to afford to keep them. There were stories this week that the Brumbies will struggle to pay the £75k fee to the sharks for their SR QF.

All of this on the back of kicking the Sun Wolves (the sole representative of the biggest potential market in the SH) out of Super Rugby.

Amazing what FEAR of relegation and promotion does to unions. Funny how clubs deal with it every season though...

Amazing what FEAR of relegation and promotion does to unions. Funny how clubs deal with it every season though...
It deffinatly and rightly makes them scared, not that its likely england would get relagzted but one bad year and the loss in income for the RFU would be huge. So yes the unions are scared when right now they have it good with x amount of games a year, no chance of losing that any time soon

without promotion and relegation there is very little point, means the only thing being played for is at the top and for the foreseeable that will get played out between RSA, NZ, ENG, IRE and maybe Wales, great

Rugby is all but dead in Aussie, lots of talk that the Folau case will bankrupt them if they loose (maybe even if they win depending on how long it lasts) and there is very little chance of the government bailing out the national organisation of the fourth or fifth most popular sport in the country that just lost a wrongful dismissal court case (they shouldn't loose but you never know)

The hubris of these unions thinking that their national teams just existing, not having to really do anything other than the world cups, is enough to carry a whole sport is mind boggling

every other sport has a club/franchise level that is significantly bigger than the international game to keep the interest up, rugby seems to think the international game is the only thing that matters

the all blacks played 14 games last year....a super rugby team (including making the final) would only have 19 games...if we're going to hang the sport on the international game like that then they should be playing for something

Reading a lot of doom and gloom about this on the SH forums (particularly Australia). Some saying that this is the beginning of the end for Union in Oz and that SA will look to try and manoeuvre themselves out of Sanzaar into the 6 Nations (7Nations)... both of which (if true) would have a destabilising effect on NZ also.

Not sure about the whole SA to the 6N thing tbh, sounds unlikely (but you never know) but having followed Australian Union matters for the last 6 or 7 years (got interested just prior to the last Lions series there) it's not just scare mongering. Regardless of the the fact that their U20's look fantastic right now, the fears are that the Australian Rugby Union will not be able to afford to keep them. There were stories this week that the Brumbies will struggle to pay the £75k fee to the sharks for their SR QF.

All of this on the back of kicking the Sun Wolves (the sole representative of the biggest potential market in the SH) out of Super Rugby.

Don't read too much into those forums, particularly the SA people. We won't leave SANZAAR, Super Rugby or the RC. So just remain calm.

There's not as much as there should be, but there is.

The game would be far better served by enforcing a minimum number of tier 1 vs tier 2 tests each summer/autumn than killing the world cup.

There's not as much as there should be, but there is.

The game would be far better served by enforcing a minimum number of tier 1 vs tier 2 tests each summer/autumn than killing the world cup.
https://www.world.rugby/news/232038?lang=en

world rugby has an agreement to do that for the next 3 world cup cycles which is much better than what the Nations League had to offer.

I honestly don't know what was appealing about the Nations League at this point. It shutout tier 2 nations and made the game harder to watch in 6N countries.

Latest posts